• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Enforcer Paint Resto

great job brian/robby! boat looks great:thumb: i do have one question.... whats up with the hull of the boat? is there something i dont see or is there a piece if metal? aluminium? where the boat is sitting on the trailer??

cmpulse_gill_bracket.jpg

it looks like the hull has one hell of a bend in it and someone tried to fix it maybe???

You're seeing a piece of cardboard between the hull and bunk. That's when I painted it with roll and tip...

you are very lucky, i cant find a shop to spray mine as of right now, only one and i might as well buy a new boat for the price he quoted me. talked to one guy around the corner that works in a truck body shop, he used to do some bigger jobs on the side but couldnt get him to touch it either. i spray half decent but it would have been nice to have someone with more experience than me to do a better job.

you are very lucky, i cant find a shop to spray mine as of right now, only one and i might as well buy a new boat for the price he quoted me. talked to one guy around the corner that works in a truck body shop, he used to do some bigger jobs on the side but couldnt get him to touch it either. i spray half decent but it would have been nice to have someone with more experience than me to do a better job.

Yes I am!!! I'm very thankful that Brian helped me out. I think if you use dupont/PPG products spraying would be easier for you. The tips alone just watching are priceless. Plus I did all the prep work. What would it cost you to do the prep work, buy the supplies needed and have someone to spray for you?

the one quote i got was for 6 to 7k. that was with me removing all hardware guages, seats, motors and anything else then sanding the whole boat and he would only have to tape and spray the boat. 2 coats color 4 coats clear. i would figure paint and tape can't be much over a grand so it would cost me 5 to 6 in labor to spray it. believe he was going to use imron. when i sprayed it 1 gallon of paint did 3 coats. and had some left over.

the one quote i got was for 6 to 7k. that was with me removing all hardware guages, seats, motors and anything else then sanding the whole boat and he would only have to tape and spray the boat. 2 coats color 4 coats clear. i would figure paint and tape can't be much over a grand so it would cost me 5 to 6 in labor to spray it. believe he was going to use imron. when i sprayed it 1 gallon of paint did 3 coats. and had some left over.

If my small paint job goes smooth, after Brian walks me through it, we can tackle yours next! Maybe I'm getting a little over eager here, but if mine goes well, I would have no problem helping you.

I've got about $1000.00 in supplies, that's a gallon of red, 1 qt of black and white. 1 gallon of primer, 2 gallons of clear and all the reducers, activators etc. All that is 2 stage dupont paint. Plus sand paper, tape, masking paper. I used 180 grit to remove all the interlux paint. I probably went thru 100 discs just to remove the Interlux paint. One coat of primer then sanded with 320 second coat then sanded with 600 grit to get to the paint process. I hope this helps somewhat.

cm, thanks. for my boat it is probably close to 1500 then. the only thing is the interlux adhered well to my boat so im not sure if i will have to remove it completely or not. i just thought for the amount to spray was a little high. Im gonna wait and see.

Sorry to cut in but,
Demag I didn't study your boat but it didn't look bad at all .
If you sprayed it, I have no dought you can fix it yourself with instructions. I would guess its just gonna be sanding down the parts you don't like or the whole thing and sealing, spraying and clearing.

I have found painters don't like boats, so they charge big bucks.
The money you stated is crazy, I'd help you for a pack of smokes and a 30 pack.:cheers:

CM yours is looking good. You gonna need to buff it out or is it pretty clean being sprayed outside?

Last edited:
Keith, last time you seen it, it wasnt to bad. but its getting worse with time. i hear you about guys not wanting to touch boats. i tried 3 boat places and only one gave me a quote other 2 tried to talk me into doing it myself or sending it somewhere else. i have sprayed a dozen or so cars and they came out decent, but that was base and clear. the boat was just a single stage. i only had one run thru the whole job. most of my problem was i couldn't evacuate the overspray fast enough like a booth so unless i really laid it on thick when over spray settled it left dry spots on the top of the boat. when i rubbed them down and buffed i had a lot of problems getting back to a shine. but when i did it looked great. then the sun hit it and now all the spots the i cut and buffed are pink to white in color. if i buy a house and i have a good enough area im gonna build a portable garage for it and spray it in there.

cm, did you use the dupont marine topcoat paint. i was looking at prices, the red paint is 550 for a gallon of red not including activator or thinner. didn't realize how expensive red is.

Sorry to cut in but,
Demag I didn't study your boat but it didn't look bad at all .
If you sprayed it, I have no dought you can fix it yourself with instructions. I would guess its just gonna be sanding down the parts you don't like or the whole thing and sealing, spraying and clearing.

I have found painters don't like boats, so they charge big bucks.
The money you stated is crazy, I'd help you for a pack of smokes and a 30 pack.:cheers:

CM yours is looking good. You gonna need to buff it out or is it pretty clean being sprayed outside?

Thanks!!! I'm gonna wetsand and buff, got a few bugs that decided to play in the paint.:D Overall the paint looks great!!! :thumb: For what I had to work with Brian did a hellva job spraying!! Today I'll pull the tarps to enclose the carport it's gonna be windy today.:p

cm, did you use the dupont marine topcoat paint. i was looking at prices, the red paint is 550 for a gallon of red not including activator or thinner. didn't realize how expensive red is.

I used Dupont generic brand Nason. I got the house discount for buying all the paint supplies from O'Reillys Auto Parts. These are 2 stage GM colors. I can give you the part numbers if you need them. We are using a HVLP gun to reduce the overspray, actually there is very little.
Red -$56.00 a qt,
White and Black- $31.00 a qt.
Activator -$41.00 a pt B/C
Reducer- $39.00 a gal
Primer- $72.00 a gal
Activator- $46.00 a qt C/C
Clear coat- $80.00 a gal

The enforcer is painted!!!!:banana: We changed up the color a little from the previous layout. Probably in a couple of weeks I'll do some color sanding and buff to a deep shine. I'll take a few more pictures in the morning when the sun is out. Here are the pictures from today.

Attachments

• DSCN2985.jpg
    DSCN2985.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN2986.jpg
    DSCN2986.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN2988.jpg
    DSCN2988.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 10
pictures

Attachments

• DSCN2989.jpg
    DSCN2989.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 5
  • DSCN2990.jpg
    DSCN2990.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 8
  • DSCN2991.jpg
    DSCN2991.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 8
Sand and buff asap,
The clear only gets harder and in turn makes the sanding, buffing harder.

Edit: I would wait a few days. I'm so used to haveing a booth and baking the paint. Still would try not to let it be weeks though.

Looks good.

Last edited:
Kind of hard to see in these pictures but white was sprayed.

Attachments

• DSCN2990.jpg
    DSCN2990.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN2994.jpg
    DSCN2994.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 13
  • DSCN2993.jpg
    DSCN2993.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 12
Checkmate logo being sprayed white on the deck.

Attachments

• DSCN3001.jpg
    DSCN3001.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 23
  • DSCN3002.jpg
    DSCN3002.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 19
  • DSCN3004.jpg
    DSCN3004.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 20
Back