• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

2800sx Next Steps

Just my opinion but I would consider a pair of 300XSs w- torque master drives and then cone them. Sport masters are cool but the coned TMs will probably be faster (in the mid 80 mph range) than SMs. Plus, the TMs will be cheaper to purchase.

Good luck-

Last edited:
I think I read TM are good up to 85 or so and 300XSs can be turned up a bit from Simon Motorsports can't they?

How loud are the 300XSs? I believe one can get cowls with more insulation to dampen the noise to help with the family.

How loud are the 300XSs? I believe one can get cowls with more insulation to dampen the noise to help with the family.

I think my 250xs is too loud for a family boat, sitting in the back seat can give you a headache from the noise. If there is a way to temper the noise for the passengers that does not involve using less throttle, that would be nice.

Just my opinion but I would consider a pair of 300XSs w- torque master drives and then cone them. Sport masters are cool but the coned TMs will probably be faster (in the mid 80 mph range) than SMs. Plus, the TMs will be cheaper to purchase.

Good luck-

The Torque Master creates more lift than the Sportmaster, which is a surfacing gearcase. A coned Torque Master might be comparable to the
Sportmaster is upper speeds but you have to deal with the epoxy flaking off, especially if the boat is run in salt water..My 2800 ran better with the stock gearcases than it did with the CLE gearcases!

I think Mercury now do divorces to help with that.;)

Yes, but the cost of the divorce often leaves you boat less. So back to the hopeful cheap noise suppression for the XS motors.

Of course, maybe the money I save not getting divorced could be used to put a 400R on a 21 Pulsare BR, pretty sure it hasn't been done yet.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but why can't you bolt right to the transom or use a bracket with a lot less setback?

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but why can't you bolt right to the transom or use a bracket with a lot less setback?

A small double jackplate or a pair of them.

4" jackplate plus the built in setback of a Verado would yield about 9-10" of total setback. Seams like that would be OK.

I thought that the 20" floatation swim platform/bracket looked really nice too, and it sure would be nice when climbing in the boat from the water. But have to wonder what boat would be able to use it, maybe a big CC?

I considered using less setback but wouldn't be able to trim the motors out of the water because of the mods to the back w/o the splash well. I suppose I could just deal with not tilting them all the way up and leave them partially tilted... like a tilted kilt:D

2800%20back_zpscx4y8lax.jpg

4" jackplate plus the built in setback of a Verado would yield about 9-10" of total setback. Seams like that would be OK.

I thought that the 20" floatation swim platform/bracket looked really nice too, and it sure would be nice when climbing in the boat from the water. But have to wonder what boat would be able to use it, maybe a big CC?
Rotated pic. so aside from getting in and out of the boat easily from shallow water, how much setback would you think I would need to be able to tilt the motors enough so they are higher than the bottom of the boat. i.e. the skeg doesn't hit the sand.
Some calculations would need to be done.

20170119_010040_zps3olyehc3.jpg

That is a good question, My 250xs is at 10" back and at mid or lower jackplate travel when tilted still comes forward into the splashwell allot on my little Pulsare. Trimming the jack plate up to the top before tilting would resolve some of the issue if the splashwell was smaller or removed. But this really does not translate to your 2800

Twins will be higher on the transom to start with so that will help a little. But the tall transom of those 2800s will counter that.

Only the guys with the twin O/B Checks can really tell you if the measurements can be made to work.

That 20" set back flotation bracket was custom made for that boat. everybody wants 4 strokes on this boat and i believe that to be a mistake with this hull

hi this john I'm new to the forum and looking for a 2800sx, your boat looks great, if you can think of any available can you let me know # 914 879 5421 , the 2800 is an awesome boat hope I can find one !!!!!!!! thanks john

Honestly, Chuck, any big power engine is going to be awesome on this boat. What is it you are looking for? Speed, noise levels, ride comfort and at what speed, economy etc? Weigh out what is most important and go from there. Once you decide on an engine, the setback is determined. I have the splashwell covered with aluminum plating and cushion and I can tilt my engines plenty to clear sand etc. The higher you mount them, the more they can tilt. We can use my boat to figure out all of the specifics for that.

I personally have twin 300 Vrods on the same hull with 6" jackplates and it performs great. I get 2-3 MPG at 45-55 mph, have seen a best of 78 mph and she airs out perfectly (Chuck can vouch as he was in his boat next to me at 78). Once I swap the lowers, it will be faster since I am under propped with the current gearing.(1.85 with 26p Bravo 1's and easily on the limiters at 6400) By raising the engines, the characteristics of the boat totally change and she rides much flatter. Yes, at speeds under 40-45 mph, I use a little tab to keep the bow down. That being said, I can still hold plan with the bravo 1's at 22 mph.

I am not advocating to install one engine or another, but simply saying it does work and works well with the Vrods. The choice is yours to make, but don't be afraid of going Vrod.

Honestly, Chuck, any big power engine is going to be awesome on this boat. What is it you are looking for? Speed, noise levels, ride comfort and at what speed, economy etc? Weigh out what is most important and go from there. Once you decide on an engine, the setback is determined. I have the splashwell covered with aluminum plating and cushion and I can tilt my engines plenty to clear sand etc. The higher you mount them, the more they can tilt. We can use my boat to figure out all of the specifics for that.

I personally have twin 300 Vrods on the same hull with 6" jackplates and it performs great. I get 2-3 MPG at 45-55 mph, have seen a best of 78 mph and she airs out perfectly (Chuck can vouch as he was in his boat next to me at 78). Once I swap the lowers, it will be faster since I am under propped with the current gearing.(1.85 with 26p Bravo 1's and easily on the limiters at 6400) By raising the engines, the characteristics of the boat totally change and she rides much flatter. Yes, at speeds under 40-45 mph, I use a little tab to keep the bow down. That being said, I can still hold plan with the bravo 1's at 22 mph.

I am not advocating to install one engine or another, but simply saying it does work and works well with the Vrods. The choice is yours to make, but don't be afraid of going Vrod.

My comment and advise is that twin Verados will not work with 24" of setback on this hull due to the weight of the Verados. 4-6" would be right on the money in my calculations. With the 5" of setback built into the design of the Verado that would give a yield of 9-11" total seback. In high performance boating everything is a compromise The more setback, the faster the boat but you sacrifice mid speed handling. When you decrease setback you eliminate the ability to raise the motor for less drag and cleaner water flow to the props (at higher speeds) but you improve low speed handling and maneuverability. Finding a happy medium is the challenge!

Back