• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Tri-mate 2 over haul.

Gus, my twins weren't even born when you started this restoration - they'll be 4 on Sunday!!! :lol:

Very nice.
I have not done a thing to the boat. 110 deg in the garage make for a short temper. Changed positions at work, its been a challange to say the least. There has just been no time to do anything. When we do find the time for some fun I have been able to get on the water, just not my boat.

i here ya Gus, i figured i would've been a lot farther ahead then where i am right now, life has the uncanny abilty to get in the way sometimes!

The problem is not freezing, the problem around here is running out of water. They drain the lakes for irrigation. 2 for the lakes that are close are dry to everyone that's not in a jon boat.

Finally got over the crud enough to spend some time in the garage getting reacquainted with trimate. Had picked up a key ignition switch and kill switch about 2 years ago. It was time to figure out where to install the darn things. After figuring out that there was no room in the dash I had to make something. As I am not installing the merc controls and going with a billet shifter I made a contraption to hold both the shifter, key switch, kill switch and the got to have cup holder. I have the first layer of glass on the inside now. Tomorrow I will coat the other side and install the vinyl. I will get some pictures when I have it all mounted. It will be soft mounted until I get the carpet installed.

It took me two days to read thru 60 pages, that my friend is quite impressive. One hellva of job, I can't wait to see the final product. :thumb:

Layed the resin on the top side last night. Will get pic's before I install the vynal. I figured out the resin is a good decongestant. LOL. Was looking through boxes last night to find all the junk I have bought over the last few years. I would have hated to buy all this stuff at once.
cmpulse - 2 days huh. When I started this project as some will remember it was going to be just a transom and floor. As you can see by the progression it kind of snowballed in to a restoration/overhaul/modification project.
It has been an adventure to say the least.
The funny part is if I had known back then what is common now I would have saved a ton of money on material. There where many parts of the build that where done and redone due to various problem. Most of it was the operator ( me)

Here is the mount for the shifter ( top hole), Ignition (small hole) and the kill switch ( larger of the 2 in line) the Large hole is the cup holder.

Attachments

• 12-8-07 shifter mount.jpg
    12-8-07 shifter mount.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 48
Here is what it looks like in place. Going to glass some mounting block's to the hull to attach this. Going to cut a slot in the back side to allow all the wire's to run out. Noticed that when I was taking the picture. That would have been a pain if that got missed after I got the vinyl installed. The fun never ends.

Attachments

• 12-8-07 shifter mount 2).jpg
    12-8-07 shifter mount 2).jpg
    146.1 KB · Views: 55
Just got done with the vinyl work on the small console. Did I mention that I really hate trying to get vinyl to lay right. It will be fine for the summer then next year all this stuff will get done by someone with a clue. At least all the frame work will be completed. All they will have to do is stitch and staple. The empty hole is for the ignition switch. Still have to cut out the hole for the shifter up top.

Attachments

• 12-8-07 shifter consol.jpg
    12-8-07 shifter consol.jpg
    140.5 KB · Views: 58
Here is the switch panel that will be installed in that nice flat section above the console. Its about the only place that is just glass with out a thick wood backing. It will control the fuel pump, bilge pump and power to the dash.

Attachments

• switch pannel.jpg
    switch pannel.jpg
    129.5 KB · Views: 45
Looking good Gus, and thanks for the new pics!
Is that the mounting piont for the Hot-Foot I see on the left in the second pic?
I have a cool idea that I have never seen before in a boat. Find an old chrome barefoot gas pedal. You know the kind from the 70's. Get one of them and flush mount on top of the hot foot pedal. That would be old school looking for sure. Hummmmmmmm time for me to start looking for one!

Back