• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

UNBELEIVABLE !!!

sclemons

There we were, me in my boat and two friends in another boat, just lazing away in a nice calm, windless cove on Lake Zoar. We saw the lake patrol boat approaching and heard the officer on board tell us to have our registrations and operators liscence ready for inspection upon their arrival to our location. I dutifully retrieved my requested info and turned around to see the patrol boat bearing down on me at 5 -10 mph with no sign of attempting to stop. To my absolute amazement and disbelief he just plain rammed me in the port bow about four feet back from my bow tip and partially rode up on my bow. Needless to say I kind of went off on the operator with alot of #*&^ and %$+*. I was always fearfull of getting run into by a jet ski, now I must watch out for the patrol boats as well.
The only good thing to come from this is the likelyhood that they will be too nervous to approach me for the rest of the season and I can hopefully look forward to a hassle free summer.
The bad thing is I will probably loose the use of my boat for a week or two while repairs are made.
I should also mention the most important thing of all - nobody was hurt

Attachments

• blackberry pics 009.jpg
    blackberry pics 009.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 228
  • blackberry pics 010.jpg
    blackberry pics 010.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 218
I thought their job was to keep people from getting ran over.Sorry about the damage to your boat it's a full time job to keep a nice boat without someone trying to run you over !! :brickwall:

Man, I think I would have came unglued if a police boat rammed my boat! You are alot more patient then I am by far.

How did the cops act after it happened? I bet they knew they screwed up. Did you get all of their info so they can pay for the damages?

Good luck-

That BLOWS,can't assume anything nowdays,he was properly looking for the brake pedal.Make sure you hang as much paper as you can about this event! And try to get your just compensation. GOOD LUCK!!!

I'm with Merc on this one. Should have asked him to take a breathalyzer or at least to show you his paper work. If it had been the other way around.......

i think someone should be paying for your damages, if that was on the road they would have to call another officer to right the first one a ticket for an accident!

Lake Zoar

HAS THE BIGGEST BUNCH OF P U S S Y, FAKE, POS, ROBOCOP, PICKED ON IN HIGH SCHOOL, FAGET COPS I HAVE EVER MET.

Those pigs have been harassing me non-stop. Every time they see a boat that they have never seen before, they pull it over for no good reason.

As for hoping that they give you a break for the rest of the season....probably not. They have several different officers that use the same boat, so unless they spread the word, no breaks.

I am simply disgusted at this point, I was raised on that lake, and now I can't even drink a beer without worrying. Same power happy pigs on Candlewood.

The bottom line is that they can't handle seeing a boat full of people having fun because they are "working". Such BS. You should sew the s h i t out of them just to prove a point (and I am totally against the happy lawyers in this country)

I am gonna stop now before i say something I will regret.

Good luck with your repair, hope to see you out there.

HD

Last edited:
thanks for all of the reply's
Yes, I did receive all of their insurance and other important info.
It was actually delivered to my house this afternoon by the head of the investigation, they could not give it to me yesterday because they said they were exempt from having to carry proof on board.
They are definately covering all of their bases on this, There was a state police sargent on the patrol boat and three ENCON police at the dock taking down all of the accident info.
SCT - I thought I was showing myself as a totally pissed and irate guy at the scene but the sargent told me he was impressed how well I handeled myself and that he would have been much more vocal if it happened to him.
Now that I have someone to pay for it I will be having my whole deck surface re-finished (I've been reading alot of the posts about aquabuff and was about ready to try it myself, now I don't have to) The grab rail should be replaced, can anyone tell me where I can find one. It must be in top condition to mach the existing one.

What a bummer, but hey, there were some boats i owned that i prayed someone would run into me! All i wanted was a nice looking boat and wanted someone to tag it hard enough to warrant a respray. :D Actually, you can be lucky it was a cop and not some punk on a jetski with no insurance.

I had a cop hit me once, cruiser vs. semi, guess who got the best out of that deal.

I need to find those pictures.

Apparently they were too busy "serving and protecting" you to pay attention to what they were doing. What an Fing idiot. I hope you gave that SOB an ear full, I'd a come unglued. And I absolutely agree with Merc245. I'd keep his boss and his boss's boss busy for as long as possible filing every report possible.

Ya know what really bothers me about this situation is that you were simply minding your own business (were you in the cove down by the Stevenson Dam?)....

It would be a lot harder for them to pull over one of the idiots running around on Jet-Skis cutting people off, or to go up to a boat full of people that are partying out of control, but that is not who many of the cops around here will go after.

They tend to go after people that are minding there own business (abiding by the law), because it is easy and safe. THIS ISN'T WHY CIVILIZED SOCIETY CREATED LAW ENFORCEMENT!!!!!!!!!

Totally unfortunate, glad you are OK!

I thought stuff like that only happened to me:shakehead:.

Let us know how the repair goes.

And by the way, I would have come unglued as well. Did you ever see the operator's boat license??????:poke:

WOW - very sorry to hear that. Having been through some crazy damage and repair stuff recently, I think you're totally right to look on the bright side and get a little extra out of it. The reality is that this isn't your neighbor's tarus getting backed into in a parking lot. We all take great pride in our boats and it ends up being a big hassle and alot of stress.

Of course the bigger issue is that a cop rammed you! I always thought that those guys were supposed to be super competent boaters so thay can assist us poor recreational schlubs in bad weather and emergencies and such. Aside from the anger we all feel, there is a safety issue here.

I'd be sure to ask what type of "corrective action" they will be taking to prevent this from happening again. It's a constructive / fair point to push and has the added bonus of embarassing / exposing the incompetent water cops!

WOW - very sorry to hear that. Having been through some crazy damage and repair stuff recently, I think you're totally right to look on the bright side and get a little extra out of it. The reality is that this isn't your neighbor's tarus getting backed into in a parking lot. We all take great pride in our boats and it ends up being a big hassle and alot of stress.

Of course the bigger issue is that a cop rammed you! I always thought that those guys were supposed to be super competent boaters so thay can assist us poor recreational schlubs in bad weather and emergencies and such. Aside from the anger we all feel, there is a safety issue here.

I'd be sure to ask what type of "corrective action" they will be taking to prevent this from happening again. It's a constructive / fair point to push and has the added bonus of embarassing / exposing the incompetent water cops!

It amazes me so many places put water cops out on the water with little more than basic coast gaurd coarse, some don't have even a basic seaman ship training !!! all they seen to get is a boat, gun and blue lights...seen it many times !!!Rob

That figures.....damn water pigs have to harrass the general (almost) law abiding public. That is rediculous that they slammed into you while you were stopped in a cove. they have no respect for the people's rigs that they pull over and then they give you a hard time instead of being friendly. I could go on and on about my view of this but I will save my fingers from the workout.

all the times i have been stopped, I had my foot out read to shove them away after the first time. My predictor was too low and would bang under their rub rail.

Back