• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

jeff,s enchanter resto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff , i was going to send this by E-MAIL but why ..................and the primer is http:www.expresscomposites.com/duratec1.html ( 714-002 ) which also comes in Grey or Black and these guys ........i think..... are still are the biggest dealer across the nation for Merc Outboards and most likely will be able to give you any or all info that you are looking for . http://oceanoutboard.com/contacts.asp or http://oceanoutboard.com Jeff , Ocean Outboard & there staff are awsome , and Tony Caligure the president of the Co , often raced more then a few 32 Skaters with trip 2.4 's /or fives , ect in his day .

Last edited:
Jeff are you gonna paint the trailer or leave as is and adding any extra bunks? Looks good!!!:thumb:

well at this point im concentrating on the boat itself...however i needed to get rid of those rollers...I do want to paint it red, it will have to be next winters project...

and yes I will be adding center bunks on the flat to couture the hull up towards the bow...need to be creative as there is no cross member at the nose of this trailer......I paid 400.00 for it and a Cobia fishin boat that was on it...:sssh:...it a galvy trailer with brakes, pretty nice shape too!

blueprinting is ready for finish sand...coat of epoxy and 6 oz. cloth...
this is the starboard side, which had a 1/2 inch hook before this process....

Attachments

• blueprint starboard 017.jpg
    blueprint starboard 017.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 62
  • blueprint starboard 008.jpg
    blueprint starboard 008.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 63
  • blueprint starboard 012.jpg
    blueprint starboard 012.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 65
Jeff , jig#1 post # 409 , and maybe this just might be the way it looks in the pic but ..........................at the very trail end of that strake it looks like you have somewhat pushed the edge over ( curved or somewhat rounded ) instead of being straight but other then that it is coming along nicely ,and have you ordered your primer yet .

Jeff , jig#1 post # 409 , and maybe this just might be the way it looks in the pic but ..........................at the very trail end of that strake it looks like you have somewhat pushed the edge over ( curved or somewhat rounded ) instead of being straight but other then that it is coming along nicely ,and have you ordered your primer yet .

good eye!!...it is,.... as the complete trailing edge of the transom was rounded or chamfeard about 1/4 inch from the start...i just followed it around....I figured with what were trying to accomplish (of which we wont speak of)..it shouldnt slow us down as it is the trailing edge...i could be wrong???

I am in the process of finish sanding and taking out any pits...then she will get resin and cloth tonight...I am really happy with how straight it has come out...the sanding without over sanding was the hardest part...

I need to speak to my painter today i was going to ask him how much primer I should get before ordered it...

wow Jeff, really cool work, fixing the hull that way feels like a lot to bite off, but looks like it went pretty well.

My understanding from some RC boat stuff I used to do is that ideally, you want a sharp cut on the trailing edge, as water can adhere and almost roll up along a rounded edge, adding some resistance. They claimed on those little boats that it was worth fixing, but I am not sure how much difference it would make on this scale.

Jeff , just a quick reminder and that is ............remember that the Duratec or primer is a very high build primer which will equally serve as a sprayable filler for dialing everything in along with loading up the edges on the strakes to give you that very sharp edge when finished sanding before paint ,and my advice to you is i always spray more primer on any given surface then needed of this type or when blueprinting a bottom just to be sure that i will be able to dial everything in without having to spray any other area more then once. http://www.expresscomposites.com/duratec1.html

Jeff , just a quick reminder and that is ............remember that the Duratec or primer is a very high build primer which will equally serve as a sprayable filler for dialing everything in along with loading up the edges on the strakes to give you that very sharp edge when finished sanding before paint ,and my advice to you is i always spray more primer on any given surface then needed of this type or when blueprinting a bottom just to be sure that i will be able to dial everything in without having to spray any other area more then once. http://www.expresscomposites.com/duratec1.html

Bought the primer..be here next week....I glassed one side today...was really hard to wrap those sharp a** strakes!...had to keep workin it ill the epoxy set...but i got it nice and tight ...no air... it will be nice after a fine sand...other side tomorrow...:D

Attachments

• finish blueprint 003.jpg
    finish blueprint 003.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 57
  • finish blueprint 009.jpg
    finish blueprint 009.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 56
  • finish blueprint 010.jpg
    finish blueprint 010.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 55
Jeff , i apologize and should have given you a call in regards to somewhat rounding the edge of the strake when doing your finish layup and how much primer did you order ?

no worries...i didnt leave them too sharp...but just enough to have to work the cloth...funny...my painter stopped by...it said the p-77 looked so good it would be a shame to cover it...:drool:

Hes never seen the strakes like that....he cant wait to see the trial run either...:eyecrazy:

i bought 1 gallon...then my painter is using a good easy sand primer on the complete hull before the Imron...

Going with this paint scheme...not sure on the bottom white though...still need to build or find this windscreen....

Attachments

• Donzi_22ShelbyGT_2.jpg
    Donzi_22ShelbyGT_2.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 21
  • Donzi_22ShelbyGT_4.jpg
    Donzi_22ShelbyGT_4.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 25
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back