• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

1986 Starflite restoration

first coat of wet base and while waiting I went ahead and cut the carpet, painting SUCKS as does sanding and sanding oh and more sanding and just when you think you got it ah nope more sanding, now I know why professional painters get paid because its to dame much work, sorry for being negitive but you got to have alot of tallent to float bondoglass or like the skin I put on the transom out, but in all it will look 1000 times better then befor.

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0312.jpg

IMG_0313.jpg

2nd coat of wet base put on today and painted the decals that I picked up from ezstiper, going to wet sand tomarrow and maybe one more coat of white if needed if not I will shoot platnum pearl then tape off the third color which will be the pearl blue mixed with nason 2k clear over the platnum then clear it all after of course I sand the edges.

IMG_0314.jpg

IMG_0315.jpg

IMG_0316.jpg

Progress is good, wish I was making some! ;)

Won't be long and the long days of sanding will be long days of cruising and drinking cold ones!

Progress is good, wish I was making some! ;)

Won't be long and the long days of sanding will be long days of cruising and drinking cold ones!

you got that right, but I still have to take a good look at that motor, it sounded good but it was cold out when I got her and it took a few trys but she fired up BUT...... still need to go through it I already took off the silencer and really cleaned it but thats about it, need to check compression to ease my mind alittle, so no progress huh that sucks to hear.

Caliburn don't be so hard on yourself. I know we all strive for perfection but sometimes you got to let it go knowing that you did your best. You're doing a great job.:thumb:

Caliburn don't be so hard on yourself. I know we all strive for perfection but sometimes you got to let it go knowing that you did your best. You're doing a great job.:thumb:

thanks, it really is coming along well, but I am a perfectionist and that is my bigist enemy, now one big fear I have is pulling off the tape, because a few times when spraying I found tape peeled off that holds down the plastic, but what am I worried about oh sanding and sanding LOL this is alot bigger job than I thought, for one all the dins and dents, chips etc, you would not think it to be a big deal but when you go to fix something like that or the extra skin on the transom it really took along time to try and float all of those things out and even I see a few places that are not exactally right but as you say, it is alot better thats for shur.

Attachments

• $(KGrHqF,!ncE8U7YKkNJBPMHDpG6c!.JPG
    $(KGrHqF,!ncE8U7YKkNJBPMHDpG6c!.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 33
  • $(KGrHqN,!lEE7sw9VHhHBPMHDoS8Bg.JPG
    $(KGrHqN,!lEE7sw9VHhHBPMHDoS8Bg.JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
It has been raining all week here so it slowed painting progress down, but put a new water pump on today hopefuly I can shoot clear tomarrow.

I been sanding down the paint lines and let me tell you dont ever try to sand them smooth, you can take the edge off some but had to touch up alittle bit here and there, I changed the lines somewhat of the contrast baby blue lines and put them to the outside, I think it looks better that way, rather than on the inside of the blue, its pearl now. Oh and dont be fooled by the befor picture of the old paint sceam it was soaked in water, the clear gel coat was non existant and color was faded bad, oh and helpful hint alway dont ever leave the 3m auto green tape on long another time consuming mistake not really my fault as the weather sucks here and always pull your tape away from your edge yep had to lean the hard way on that as well so needless to say had touching up to do and if there is ever a next time I will go with the lettering decals not the stencel, in all I have learned a lesson and that is the less you do when it comes to painting the better off you will be the more complicated you make it the more of a chance on something going wrong and in my case that was at ever stinking couner for me. still have to shoot clear maybe I will have a bad batch of Nason for my final act LOL.

Attachments

• IMG_0322.jpg
    IMG_0322.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 29
  • $(KGrHqRHJDQE8f,TBzQCBPL1HEYG!g~~60_3.JPG
    $(KGrHqRHJDQE8f,TBzQCBPL1HEYG!g~~60_3.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0318.jpg
    IMG_0318.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 28
I been sanding down the paint lines and let me tell you dont ever try to sand them smooth, you can take the edge off some but had to touch up alittle bit here and there, I changed the lines somewhat of the contrast baby blue lines and put them to the outside, I think it looks better that way, rather than on the inside of the blue, its pearl now. Oh and dont be fooled by the befor picture of the old paint sceam it was soaked in water, the clear gel coat was non existant and color was faded bad, oh and helpful hint alway dont ever leave the 3m auto green tape on long another time consuming mistake not really my fault as the weather sucks here and always pull your tape away from your edge yep had to lean the hard way on that as well so needless to say had touching up to do and if there is ever a next time I will go with the lettering decals not the stencel, in all I have learned a lesson and that is the less you do when it comes to painting the better off you will be the more complicated you make it the more of a chance on something going wrong and in my case that was at ever stinking couner for me. still have to shoot clear maybe I will have a bad batch of Nason for my final act LOL.

I'm not a paint expert but watching YF paint my boat he/we didn't sand the paint lines. Those are covered with clear coat, probably at least three coats. The stencils are tricky, those need some attention when removing slowly from the boat. You're doing a great job!!!:thumb:

Well in all I shot clear today, 3 bad things happened one I thought I cleaned her from sanding well when I started to crear her I found that I missed some blue resedue here and there, when I shot the top of her My lid on the spray gun leaked right in the middle of the shoot and the lid was tight go figure I have runs in it and last moment when I mixed the clear my gal tells me she has an appointment she can not drive so had to stop half way through it, so its about a 7 foot paint job it looks really good at 7 feet but when you really come up close you can see all the imperfections, me being a perfectionist says sand the whole thing down and start over but I am broke, I think its lacking clear in spots as well but untill I wet sand I will not know for shure, This in all has been a nightmare but of course I have learned a valuable lesson I should had just cleared the boat and not fixed non of the imperfections of it in the first place that caused me to repaint it.

a lot can be done with a careful razor blade, sand paper, and a buffer

I also spilled my clear from the cup :lol: atleast it didn't spalsh in your eye OUCH!

thanks and your right, I have a question for you all when it comes to the clear coat, when I shot the clear I started to shoot looking down on the top it appeared to be covering nice but when I got down towardes the front looking at an angle I could see it was sandpapery looking in spots so I really laid it on from that point on or so I thought, it did look better from there on when it dried but still sandy looking, I wet sanded with 1000 and noticed there were millions of small dimples appearing as I went to 2000 they started to disipear ,now should I shoot another coat and how thick am I to spray? I have been running 70 psi what am I to do? if I go any thicker I will need to go buy another 2 qt with activator, when its done cured am I to wet sand again ????

I'm far from a painting expert, but when I had my boat painted we sprayed a thin base coat of clear that barely covered, and let it set slightly. Once it was nearly dry to the touch (just slightly tacky) we applied three heavy coats over the first coat. My painter said don't sand on anything until you're done with the clear. With three heavy coats, he said I can sand almost everything out. The first coat was what he called a bonding coat and the others were for coverage.

Unless things are really bad, I wouldn't sand between coats of clear.

well I know you let it flash between coats but in my case it was already dry so I had no other choice but to sand, well I went down and got 2 more qt and laid it on thick to the point it was almost sagging so got a few runs, and more clear droplets from my incompetant lid, but it lookes alot better,however ther are still some pass lines that are sandpapery looking, so should I wet sand? and buff with compound?? I pray that I am done with the clear. well the 2 pics are five feet away hey progress at least it is not a 7 foot paint job
IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

put the motor back on today, windshield, gauges,gas tank. etc. its almost done, went to check the pivit tube for the mph to see if it was clear and gave a few sucks and wa la a mouth full of ants,:irked: now those ants had to find them selves into the boat but who would had known, LOL

went to check the pivit tube for the mph to see if it was clear and gave a few sucks and wa la a mouth full of ants,:irked: now those ants had to find them selves into the boat but who would had known, LOL
:lol: You know my luck!! You know chocolate covered ants are considered a delight in some places....... you should have grabbed a bite of a hershey bar real quick :poke:

Back