• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

2800sx Next Steps

Never have had the opportunity to mess with twins, but having messed with a number of different engines at various setbacks of various Checkmates, Jup is correct, at least it's been my experience as well, closer better handling, back better top end. I have had several Optimax engines, and love them, and they are 130 lbs lighter.

Just a thought
The boat looks great, another case of boat envy!!

ChuckK

My comment and advise is that twin Verados will not work with 24" of setback on this hull due to the weight of the Verados. 4-6" would be right on the money in my calculations. With the 5" of setback built into the design of the Verado that would give a yield of 9-11" total seback. In high performance boating everything is a compromise The more setback, the faster the boat but you sacrifice mid speed handling. When you decrease setback you eliminate the ability to raise the motor for less drag and cleaner water flow to the props (at higher speeds) but you improve low speed handling and maneuverability. Finding a happy medium is the challenge!

I totally agree with everything you said:cheers: my post was not directed at anyone in particular, but a generalization with the back and forth comments about which engines to use.

Thanks for posting pics of the stern...I understand now. What a fun thread! Can't wait to see what you decide on, because it's going to be awesome to see this old girl get back after it.

Lots of parts ordering going on and plenty more big dollars to be spent. I'm hoping in a few weeks to install the gauges and begin the electrical wiring. No rush because it's no fun working on the boat in the cold. Most of my evenings are used to research what to buy next...

It will be much more exciting as the weather warms and assembly begins:banana:

2800sx Parts List

As the weather warms and as I get help from my Checkmate friends building a basically new boat, I think I'm almost finished with ordering everything needed to start the installation process.

So far this is the list and price estimates:
* Twin 350 Verados - $33K
* Rigging & Steering assem - $6K
* Jackplates - $1K
* Trim tabs & switch - $1K
* Batteries/trays/switch - $600
* DTS Throttle - $800
* Radio and TV - $800
* Steering wheel - $300
* 5 popup cleats - $500
* Grab handles - $300 (Yes you will need them:))
* Nav lights - $150
* Few gauges/trim/switches - $500
* bumpers/lines/extinguisher etc. - $400
* Bilge assem - $200
* Hinges and shocks for rear deck lid - $100

Total parts est. @ $45K+ which doesn't include all the labor/time that Ramifications plans to put into it :thumb: Keep us posted on your fine craftsmanship Ram.:drool:

Boat that size..living that Far East coast..gps plotter $? Prop testing...$x2? Besides the Punisher, that's probably the prettiest mate I've ever seen!!! Good luck with your project & keep us posted!!

Sounds like an awesome project! I can't wait to see that thing on the water. What trims tabs and indicators did you decide to go with? I've been thinking about upgrading my own.

Love this thread...
Hey Jross. I now enough to be dangerous when it comes to trim tabs because I have no experience and let my fingers do the walking online plus helpful feedback. I went with Lenco tabs and switch. Will let you know how the are in a month.

Hey Jross. I now enough to be dangerous when it comes to trim tabs because I have no experience and let my fingers do the walking online plus helpful feedback. I went with Lenco tabs and switch. Will let you know how the are in a month.

Good choice with the Lenco's, I installed them on my 24' BRX & they work great they even have an auto retract function when you turn them off.

It's been slow going with the install. The boat is at the marina getting the motors hung and setup. I hope that's finished this week so that I can get everything else installed for some testing.

well??? :poke:

It was a great weekend getting out for the first time on the 2800 and hanging out with my Checkmate friends on the Chesapeake. :thumb: The boat ran great at 80 with the twin 350 Verados at max 6400 Rpm. Although it did take some seat time getting the right motor height and trim tabs set. Will be looking at using choppers with more pitch and motor height adjustments as recommended by my buddies. I will attach some pictures on land and follow up when I get some action shots.

Back