• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

CHECKMATE OWNERS RALLY 2017!!!!

Sorry guys, I have been trying to concentrate on getting my boat back together, I'll have to update the build thread on that.

Anyways, I called and talked to Kip and Dean today and it looks like there isn't going to be much, if any factory involvement this year. Didn't get into details, but they said at the most for this year if they have a new boat setting around come rally time, Kip might bring it down for the weekend.

So that being said, looks like planning will come back to us, just like the old days!!! I think the schedule we have used in the past has been a success and sticking to something close should work out great.

FRIDAY: I know people will be trickling in all week, but Friday is the first "official" day of the rally and tends to be a free for all with people exploring the lake and rafting up. The evening there is usually a very informal "Meet & Greet" on the docks of Grider Hill. I'm really hoping that Grider will let us put all the rented boatels together in one spot to make this easy on all of us. The meet and greet usually turns into a pretty good time that has culminated in events such as the spouse wheelbarrow races on the docks, impromptu dance parties, and of course, the telling of tall tales.... a lot of which might have been fueled by some alcohol. Also, if we get our usual tie up spot, it's a great place to show off your Checkmate!!!! So shine her up, pop the hatch (for the I/O guys, lol) and crank up those LED lights!!!

SATURDAY: Saturday we have done a lunch run in the past and I see no reason to change that. It's a great opportunity to the beautiful lake and let the Checkmates stretch their legs a bit, which is what they were built to do!! If I remember correctly, we head out from Grider around 11am. Last year we went to Fishtales, which is an awesome restaurant, but I am very open to the idea of going to a different restaurant this year. I'll list some of the options

1.Fishtales: Wolf Creek Marina, Really good food and a decent run at 18 miles (one way)

2.Gator II Grill: Alligator II Marina, I have never been there, but here its good. About a 21 mile run, just past fishtales (one way)

3.Tiki Bar: State Dock, new restaurant and have been hearing mixed reviews about the service. About a 13 mile run (one way)

4.Lighthouse Café: Conley Bottom Resort, Good food and the best Ice cream on the lake!! A really good run at 35 miles (one way)

I'm open to any suggestion on the lunch stop, but I'd say lets nail it down pretty soon so I can give them a heads up that a group is coming.

After the lunch run we usually end up rafting up back in 76 Falls, which is always a blast. Swim around, talk to your fellow mate owners, listen to music... all the good stuff that comes with boating!!!

The one part that will be different (In a good way I think) is the evening festivities. In the past there was usually some kind of meal on the docks, and live music by Stagger Lee on top of the ship store at Grider. However this year Stagger Lee won't be there, so Grider has decided to put up a large movie screen back in 76 Falls and do an after dark showing of JAWS!!! I know that's where I'll be!! I mean, a drive in movie in your boat, that's awesome!!! I'm sure there will be some small festivities back at the dock after the slow night cruise back as well.

SUNDAY: Again, in the past Sunday has been a free for all. I know some have made a breakfast run, and that is definitely an option. I'll leave that up to y'all. Mostly, its people cleaning up their boats, packing and loading them on the trailer (I'm usually in this group).

Like I said, we are open to any suggestions on an event schedule. Also, if you don't want to do something that we have planned, that's totally fine. Go do your own thing and explore the lake!!!

I do think a roll call like in the past is a good idea so we can get a good estimate on who's coming. I'll start that in the next post.

Can't wait guys!!!

1.corey331, Corey and Beth, 253 Convincor
2.John & Candice and kids Caymbri & Rylan, hitching a ride with Dave & Karen, can't wait!
3.ckaluger and wife, and a boat.

2.John & Candice and kids Caymbri & Rylan, hitching a ride with Dave & Karen, can't wait!
3.ckaluger and wife, and a boat. 4.ekkick, 242 Convincor, Kent and Stacy, plus 2 friends.

Last edited:
Can someone fix my jacked up post please?

I got your back man!!!

4.ekkick, 242 Convincor, Kent and Stacy, plus 2 friends.

It is looking like we will not make this trip. Was hoping to see everyone. Have fun and bring lots of sunscreen . :cheers:

4.ekkick, 242 Convincor, Kent and Stacy, plus 2 friends
5.RNGRDVE, Dave and Karen and a boatload of Canadians

4.ekkick, 242 Convincor, Kent and Stacy, plus 2 friends
5.RNGRDVE, Dave and Karen and a boatload of Canadians
6. jason_martin, 253 Convincor, family & friends

I forgot to add this, on Saturday there is a Memorial Fun Run for Art McMahan, Anthony Reece and their wives who killed last year. So on our lunch run there is a VERY good chance that we will see some big time hardware running the lake.

My 2 cents on the lunch run is, 35 mile is too far, especially with some of our brothers with smaller boats, 13 mile is too short, 18 to 21 is about right. I would be all for Gator since it's someplace different. Hopefully some folks chime in. I would be in for a lunch meet at Conley on Friday if there are other interested.

My 2 cents on the lunch run is, 35 mile is too far, especially with some of our brothers with smaller boats, 13 mile is too short, 18 to 21 is about right. I would be all for Gator since it's someplace different. Hopefully some folks chime in. I would be in for a lunch meet at Conley on Friday if there are other interested.

I like the Gator grill idea if they can accommodate us. I've seen many good reviews for them.

If corey comes, I come over Ok?

Have been checking air tickets.. looks good to me! The prices have dropped...

Helmich, if you are talking about this Corey, I'll be there!!! Should have my boat in the water next week for some testing if all goes well. It would be awesome to see you there!!!!

Also, Dave and I have been seeing great reviews on Gator II Grill on the Lake Cumberland Forums, so I'm going to go ahead and say that's where we should go for lunch Saturday. I'm going to go ahead and call and give them a heads up that we will be coming and get them a better head count as it gets closer!!! Can't wait!!!

Back