• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Checkmate Powerboats to be Dissolved

It will be interesting to see which way they go with the inland lake market. Moving to the coastal area suggests to me that small boats will be forgotten. I'm sure the 2100 and the 2400 are the most popular hulls, but how useful are those in a coastal market?

For all new inquiries of Checkmate Boats, please contact Caldwell Marine Design, Peter Caldwell. His phone number is 252-917-3673.

All Checkmate Interiors will now be done by Gotcha Covered Upholstery of Checkmate. For more information, contact 419-562-3881.

We've actually seen more activity from Paul since he decided to close the company. Maybe if he would have used some of that effort to market the boats the company wouldn't be moving to NC.

Checkmate purchased

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 11/1/19

At the beginning of October, Checkmate has attempted to extend the current lease with the landlord, however an agreement could not be met. Therefore, after much thought and consideration of the current situation, the owners of Checkmate Powerboats have decided to dissolve the company, selling the molds, all the parts for completed boats, and the intellectual property. Checkmate has been around the boating industry for over 56 years, having an assortment of 17 different models in both sterndrive and outboard offerings. If you have interest in acquiring the Checkmate molds and intellectual property, please give us a call at 631-208-2933.

Have you folks seen the Speed on the Water post, checkmate assets were purchased by Caldwell Marine. Checkmate boat inquiries, Peter Caldwell 252-917-3673, Gotcha covered by Checkmate 419-562-3881 to have upholstery work done, Deal was announced at Miami boat show 2/14/20

We've actually seen more activity from Paul since he decided to close the company. Maybe if he would have used some of that effort to market the boats the company wouldn't be moving to NC.

Reminds me of the story my Father in Law told me about boats.

Two happiest days in boat ownership.
1. The day you buy a boat
2. The day you sell the boat

Bet Paul feels the same way about Checkmate.

Your father in law forgot to mention all the great days in between buying and selling? I definitely miss my boat, met a lot of great people while I had it.

Your father in law forgot to mention all the great days in between buying and selling? I definitely miss my boat, met a lot of great people while I had it.

I get along with my father-in-law real well but I disagree with him on this point. I just thought that in this case maybe Paul feels relieved.

And purchasing another one 2 weeks later!

It will be interesting to see which way they go with the inland lake market. Moving to the coastal area suggests to me that small boats will be forgotten. I'm sure the 2100 and the 2400 are the most popular hulls, but how useful are those in a coastal market?

I can see the 2100 and 2400 being great coastal boats, especially on the ICW, anxiously awaiting to see if and when new boats are produced.

Checkmate assets sold

According to a press release from the Miami boat show Checkmate was sold to Caldwell Marine Design and is being moved to Washington NC. I wonder if it is the same entity that owns Fountain, Donzi and Baja.

According to a post out of the Miami Boat Show, Checkmate has been sold to Caldwell Marine Group and is going to be relocated to Washington NC.

Last edited:
I wonder if restoration work like floors, stringer, and transom replacements will still be done in Ohio

According to a press release from the Miami boat show Checkmate was sold to Caldwell Marine Design and is being moved to Washington NC. I wonder if it is the same entity that owns Fountain, Donzi and Baja.

That's Iconic Marine Group. They are located in Chocowinity, NC, which is on the other side of the river from Washington, NC.

It is-he contract manufactures for each name!

I grew up boating a Starliner on the Pamlico out of Washington Park in Washington, NC. Great boat for that river and the creeks/bays in that area. Cool to hear the brand, and hopefully legacy of quality and performance, will live on!

Back