• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

First New Boat Need Trailer Recommendations

Just bought a Pulsare 2100BR. I was looking at just replacing the old trailer with a new one since I will be taking some long road trips. Id like a new Galvanized Trailer with a Swing away Tongue.

Anyone have any recommendations?

Should I get a Roller trailer or Boards? Its on its original Roller trailer now. The hull is super clean and Id like to keep it that way.

Bunk trailers are strongly preferred as they spread the load. Rollers can cause a uneven bottom over time.

My last trailer was an EZ Loader dual axle trailer for my Pulsare and I thought it was fine at the time. I since sold that boat and bought a Convincor with a C-Hawk trailer and I am very happy with the tow quality. The boat has three times the weight but I now understand when people say "I don't even know its back there". I think its like comparing an entry level car to a luxury car. I tow between 4,000 - 7,000 miles per year and going forward I will make sure that a high quality trailer is under my boat.

Those C-hawks are nice but I'm not a big fan of tube steel trailers. I prefer a C channel or aluminum trailer. The reason is that you can't see inside plus they rust from inside out. Even sealed up completely condensation build up will rust a trailer inside out over time. Just my humble opinion.:eek:

Ill will be dunking into Salt water. Id like a trailer that will be best for the boat without breaking the bank.

A "Bunk" trailer is better than rollers? Should I look for anything specific in a Bunk Trailer? Ive seen them simple with two fixed boards, Ive seen them with multiple boards that have what look like pivot points.

the bottom of this boat is mint and I want to keep it that way. the previous owner has socks on the rollers of the original trailer to keep them from leaving black marks.

Do you load your boat in a river where there are strong currents? If so, an aluminum trailer could experience some flotation and movement. I do not have any experience with an aluminum trailer, just something I heard and to think about.

My 270br has a Loadrite tandem aluminum beam trailer and I really like the way it tows and seems to be of decent quality. Probably towed about 800 miles this summer and zero complaints

Checkmate quit using C-Hawk and now has Pheonix build their trailers for them. Phoenix is out of Michigan. If you're dunking it in salt, I'd definitely go Aluminum. Just my $0.02.

Are there aluminum trailers with a Swivel tongue or a kit to do so?

Reason Im leaning Galvanized is the original trailer is almost 15 years old and I could probably salvage it if I had too. I never keep anything that long!

I just had a Vantage aluminum I beam built for my 283 Convincor for $3800 about 6 wks ago. Your model would be quite a bit cheaper as mine is rated at 8500lbs. It has 2 14' bunks and 2 smaller inner forward bunks. Upgraded wheels and brakes in that price also. A great deal especially for salt water.

Definitely stay away from rollers....

Aluminum will last longer and tow easier....

As far as the light weight issue in a strong current of a river, --- it shouldn't be an issue with a dual axle.

I purchased this new Venture for $3700, 6000 lb rated, nice braking system, 6 prong trailer connector, LED lighting, custom wheels, flip up tongue stand.

I believe Venture also has swing-aways.

trailer-1.jpg

Aluminum Ibeam with bunks if it was me.
The swing away can be put on any trailer since they all have the same size tube at the front for the hitch.
Ive seen the dual axles float also because there's also the extra set of tires to float them.
Seen guys add lead bars to the trailer to stop the floating.

Checkmate quit using C-Hawk and now has Pheonix build their trailers for them. Phoenix is out of Michigan. If you're dunking it in salt, I'd definitely go Aluminum. Just my $0.02.

When did they quit using c hawk? That's where they got Wills trailer last May.

Yes, nothing against chawk. They are good in some areas.
I just wouldn't buy one because theyre stuck on tube metal that will rust in 75% of boating areas. Wonder why they haven't at least started offering different metals.

Probably don't switch material because people keep buying them. Steel tube trailers look nicer. If I ever have to replace my trailer I'll probably switch to aluminium though.

Just thinking,
Are aluminum trailers all bolted together? Look like it in most pics i see.
Chawk does alot of large custom work and they weld the trailers. Maybe thats the big difference and why they are still doing what they do.

I have had both and like the custom look of the steel trailers best but the fully adjustable aluminum trailers are great for resale. Mine is Identical to Kurts and weighs in about half of the steel. I chose aluminum this time due to it saving me almost 2k and the 10 day build time was great. The only thing I miss from steel is the frame/ step area behind the fenders for better transom tie locations. Was skeptical at first but if you look around many of the large offshore are riding on these trailers. Still can't post a darn pic on this forum lol.

Back