• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Hybrid SUV

ianz

Anyone on this board own a GM based Hybrid SUV. I am considering a Hybrid Yukon as a daily driver and weekend machine. Last week I borrowed one for a day and in the city and hwy I averaged 19.5 MPG. during this period I drove it rather hard. they say it should get 20 MPG which in most cases I would never believe.

I have a Escalade. I looked into the hybrib version and for the little bit of driving I do with it, the cost would not offset the change. I only have roughly 28k miles on a 07. Take a look at how much you drive and how long you plan to keep the truck to make sure the extra money is worth the mpg.

I always wondered how a hybrid SUV would do towing. With all of that instant torque form the electric motor I'd think it would be great.

Welcome "Mega Watt"

Looks like I will be able to answer all the questions on this since it is a done deal. With GM recently releasing the Volt which is an all electirc car, a friend has nick named this this the "Mega Watt". :)

I lucked out... it was a non current vehicle with about 15K on it so it was heavily discounted. I then made and offer and it was accepted, I feel I paid no premium for the Hybrid, if anything saved a few $$$ over a gas one.

Before I bought it they gave it to me for a day and i got 27mpg on hwy at 60, 25 @ 70 and then ran city streets home in rush hour. basically about 80 mile round trip 50/50 highway and city final average was 19.8 mpg. since it was a test drive I did many 0-60mph runs and accelleration tests, which were all very impressive.

It is rated to tow 6200lbs , which I think will be no problem. I will post real mileage numbers once I get a few tanks in it. hoping for 19 average for us Canadians that is about 12.3 Litre/100.

We're expecting a full report in a couple of weeks.

I'm seriously thinking about an electric car for my next vehicle purchase. I like my Mustang GT, but even when I take it easy I'm spending over $50 per week just to drive to work. An electric car would get me to work and back with range to spare, I'd never have to stop at gas stations, and it would cost in the range of $10 per week to operate.

Lovers, haters and ???

I am taking the gamble on this will be happy to share my results and feedback with all. I intent on tracking my milage for the frist couple of months to see how it actually does. I have a close friend who has a 09 Tahoe so we should be able to do some good comparisons.

I will update once I get the vehicle. Right now I am arguing with the deailer over a mistake he made for $495....after the deal was done. I still plan buying the mega-watt but want an extended warrantee at cost in compensation for his error

I hate Hybrid's :sick:
Why am I not surprised?:rof:BR would be drivin' bareback to work on an alligator with a moonshine center console if he could!!!
I'd love the idea of towing my Check with a hybrid if I could find something that I could get great mileage with during the week and still trust to haul a load with on boating days.

I like the concept of hybrids but the costs need to come down some. Also the Volt is not 100% electric it can use gas also if needed.

ha..a "dealer salesman 'mistake'." Had the same thing happen with the F&I guy when I bought my 4runner in December. My OTD price did not include the Gross receipts tax. "But is is only $xx" was not a big deal if it was my money. Had him print the bill of sale again and saved 400 bucks or whatever and he was pissed throughout the rest of the deal.

TS...

You guys do know that the GMC Yukon Hybrid is a two mode with a 6.0L V8 (337HP) plus 2 electric motors. this is not a pure hybrid by a two-mode electric assisted Gas motor. So is it "all hybrids" or electic vehicles you guys don't like?

First impression has been pretty good. Over the past weekend I got 710KM (447mile) for the first tank and averaged about 22 MPG. I did about 75% hwy @ 75mph rest was city driving. No shortage of power ever! The V8 kicks in as needed anywhere for 0-25MPH and when floored it does release an exhaut note the we all know and love. :)

Many are claiming 0-60 times in these trucks to be sub 7 seconds, and at this point i believe it.

If you greenies want hybrids get them with your own money.
I don't want my tax money subsidizing your unrealistic fantacies about a life of luxury without fuel. If you really want to be green, sell your power boat and get a canoe. Ohh wait, it takes fuel to make the materials that are needed to make that canoe.
What to do? what to do?

In for a subscription. I love my diesel Ram and with the mods done it makes stupid amounts of torque and gets pretty good mileage for what it weighs and the power it makes but since diesel is now more expensive than super I'm thinking long and hard about replacing it with one of these GM SUV's at some point. They get better mileage, run on cheaper fuel, and have plenty of power to tow my Mate or my enclosed 3 place sled trailer. What I'm interested to see is how much the mileage suffers with a boat behind it. I have friends who have newer gas pickups and they do about the same as or better than me on fuel empty but throw a trailer on the back and they get significantly less than I do pulling a similar load.

Hey atc those cummins engines digest a 50% diesel 50% used vegetable oil blend really well. Cut your fuel cost in half!

atc, you are correct when you say the newer gas trucks have very poor fuel mileage when towing something, even an empty trailer drops the mileage significantly. for 7 months I was driving a 2010 silverado with the small 8 (don't recall whether it was a 5.4 or 5.7) without a trailer it got 20/22 mpg highway, with an empty 20' dual axle flatbed trailer it dropped to 15 mpg highway, with a medium size mini backhoe on the trailer I was lucky to get 8 mpg. It seems they size the engine to give it enough power to tow but not enough power to tow efficiently. The powers that be just don't understand why not every vehicle can be made to meet the desires of the tree huggers.

I hear you both. I have and older one (12 valve) so it would probably do very well on the veggie oil, I don't use it as a daily driver and haven't in about 6 years so its probably not worth the work for the little bit I use it. If I get one of these hybrids I can unload the truck and the wifes minivan and get down tobeing a two car family for once.

The diesel seems to like the weight when its pulling and I enjoy hearing that big turbo singing to me. I can get 12 pulling a 16x8 enclosed with a car in it but empty its only gettting 17 or 18.

John

Back