• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

I just got in a new 21 Liberator. Going to Australia

Na, if Keith's was "thupeer"... it'd post up some big numbers and make a whistle while it works!

Can't wait for more pics Randy.. looks good so far (not sure about the deck graphics.. each to thier own, though)

Yes, the boat comes straight. I have been a painter for over 30 years and just like doing my own stuff. The painted boats hold up much better to the sun and weather than gelcoat. I first wipe the whole boat down with lacquer thinner and wash it with soapy water. Then I DA sand it with 220 grit. After that, I wetsand the whole boat with 400 grit wetsand paper. If it's new gelcoat, the paint sticks very well to the bare gel. I used to seal them, but I seem to get better results and adhesion over the new gel. If it was a used boat, I would always prime with epoxy primer or sealer though. My motto is "No shiny spots" If there's a shiny spot, then it needs to be re-sanded.

That is going to be one nice looking paint job,WM.... I have found the same paint process you describe works best also. I have done basically the same thing over older gel coat and it holds up great. And yes, good paint seems to last longer than gel. Can't wait to see that thing done. You turn out some nice machines! :thumb:

I got the last purple on yesterday. It's hard to see, but there's two different purples in the last stripe. I also got the iron cross on the deck. It still has 1/4" tape on it in the pic though. I now have to sand the whole boat. All the white will be painted pearl orange.

103_0722.jpg

103_0720.jpg

103_0721.jpg

103_0724.jpg

Yeah, after I spray the orange and some other graphics, I will sand it all. Then it will get clearcoated. Then I'll sand with 600 grit, then 1000 grit, then 1500. Then I will buff it three times with different grit compounds. It will take about 3 days to sand and buff to a mirror shine. None of the graphics will be able to be felt when It's done.

Yeah, after I spray the orange and some other graphics, I will sand it all. Then it will get clearcoated. Then I'll sand with 600 grit, then 1000 grit, then 1500. Then I will buff it three times with different grit compounds. It will take about 3 days to sand and buff to a mirror shine. None of the graphics will be able to be felt when It's done.

forgive my ignorance, but how thick do you spray the clear coat?

seems like a lot of sanding, which makes me wonder about sanding through the clear (which is something i would do)

how many years will that paint job hold up? it sees some pretty extreme use!

the boats i've been around have only ever been gelcoated.

I'll put on three wet coats of urethane clear. I'm careful about sanding, but I've been doing it over 30 years. The paint will hold up to the weather for over 10 years easily. Anything can scratch though. In these pics, the boats graphics are all taped and the orange will go on tommorrow.

103_0728.jpg

103_0729.jpg

103_0730.jpg

Back