• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Sugar n Sand

Have you had the Heat out on the water? What do you think about the flat part of the bottom of the hull for the pump intake vs an outdrive? Does the Goat bite?

Haven't had it out myself, aquired it from my boss after his son left it sit under a tree untouched for a couple years:brickwall:. As far as the goat I know he doesn't bite locals but west coasters may want to be careful.

I was thinking about how the vessel would sit in the water with the added weight of the planned new powerplant. Two guys standing on the swim step area, while the vessel is afloat, might work to simulate the added weight. I'm also thinking about a lifting portion for the hull, in the stern area, to cover the hole where the jet pump intake is located, and to get as much hull out of the water as possible, could provide some additional flotation to offset the increase in weight too. I'm also thinking about a cover in the forward part of the interior, reaching from the bow, back to the steering pedistal area, for some streamlining effect. I think a Bravo weighs about twice what an Alpha does. In my mind{ scary place } I'm thinking about a surface drive, although prop selection would be difficult and pricey, and any kind of a transmission would add to the weight issue. Dependin on how she flies, ya might even get in front of the beat up old Mate. Heck, there might even be a coupla shaveing commercials in here someplace, or maybe even a beer add with Hudy drivin the Hot {Heat}, and wearin a big grin....

I was thinking about how the vessel would sit in the water with the added weight of the planned new powerplant. Two guys standing on the swim step area, while the vessel is afloat, might work to simulate the added weight. I'm also thinking about a lifting portion for the hull, in the stern area, to cover the hole where the jet pump intake is located, and to get as much hull out of the water as possible, could provide some additional flotation to offset the increase in weight too. I'm also thinking about a cover in the forward part of the interior, reaching from the bow, back to the steering pedistal area, for some streamlining effect. I think a Bravo weighs about twice what an Alpha does. In my mind{ scary place } I'm thinking about a surface drive, although prop selection would be difficult and pricey, and any kind of a transmission would add to the weight issue. Dependin on how she flies, ya might even get in front of the beat up old Mate. Heck, there might even be a coupla shaveing commercials in here someplace, or maybe even a beer add with Hudy drivin the Hot {Heat}, and wearin a big grin....

I don't have everything figured out yet, however I am a body shop manager for a former G.M. dealer. I have talked to one of my bodytechs who is highly trainer in fiberglass repair (he took a course on corvette repair) he has assured me he can make a patch panel and repair this seamlessly. He has spoke of a few ideas for weight management and is currently runnigng the isdeas in his head. It will probably be slow progress due to the fact our busy season is coming in the shop, nobody in Cincinnati knows how to drive in snow and ice. I will keep you updated and any ideas you have would be greatly appreciated.:thumb:

Hey RNGR, You could tell I been thinkin about the Heat. Kind of enjoy thinking about the possibilities of the craft while I'm toiling away at chasing dollars. Spent the last coupla days puttin a rear end in the work truck after waking up to a puddle of gear oil under the truck. I predict some late nights while trying to get caught up. I got a call into Fast Eddie to see what kind of aluminum parts are available for a vortec diet. On the hull, since you will remove the jet drive, maybe a lifting pad could replace it. On the Mate, with the jet pump installed, the pad has to be larger to accomodate the opening for the jet intake. By reducing the amount of hull in the water, an improvement in top speed can be achieved. Takes a rather interesting shape to pull this off in the Mate. A pad on the Heat could be smaller....

Back