• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Tri-mate 2 over haul.

It'll be a one of a kind Gus.

Keep 'er going.

That's a future boat of the month winnah in the making. :)

get me that phone number or tell him to start making them from here on out. I am going to want one. I cant get it now I am laid off, but if I could I would go in with you for a second.

The saga continues...................
If I ever decide to over haul, modify, hot rod and a boat again someone slap me.

Gus, just do like I do! Go buy yourself another boat in the mean time :rof:

7 different Checkmate and Hydrostream
2 different Crestliner
2 Perception
1 Sanpan, 1 Alumacraft, 1 Smokercraft, etc.....................:rof:

Don't think I have not thought about hangin the Merc on another hull. :brickwall:

Guss your boat looks great...Quality takes time and your doing a quality job and you have a lot of people looking at the great job, the last stages are the most difficult cause your patients is getting short cause you want to see it done. ( step back take a deep breath and walk around the yard then go back in and get back to it )

Received the dual cable steering attachment on the mail from T&L marine.
At first look its a beefy unit. Makes the merc unit that I have look cheesy.
After talking with Billy at T&R, I kind of had a plan. Since the mid and clamp bracket are 1978 1750 units, the new style 2nd cable bracket would not work. As I said before, I spend way to much time looking for this set up, and tanks to Billy and T&R I found one.
Install was not bad. There are 2 ears on the mid in front of the factory steering tube. This is where the 2nd tub mounts. I had to enlarge the holes a bit to allow the tube to slide through. Once that was done it was just a matter of adjusting the 2 arms to fit in the cables.
Sure is hoss looking.

Attachments

• Dual cable steering.JPG
    Dual cable steering.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 102
  • Dual cable steering 2.JPG
    Dual cable steering 2.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Dual cable steering 4.JPG
    Dual cable steering 4.JPG
    142.4 KB · Views: 93
After a bit more time and another hole in the deck I am happy to say the steering is done. Just have to paint the cable cover and bolt it down. The funny part is this is not far off from the original place I was going to run through in the 1st place. Talked my self out of it the 1st time. Steering is nice and tight.

Attachments

• Steering cable.JPG
    Steering cable.JPG
    142.6 KB · Views: 71
  • Steering cable 2.JPG
    Steering cable 2.JPG
    142.2 KB · Views: 67
is it , maybe, almost, possibly, ready?

i have just started on my enchanter , your posts and pics gave me a ot of ideas and the biggest one was , fix the problem (bad floor) restore the boat , dont modify anything , and have checkmate resquirt the exterior , excellent job, though very nice planning and execution

Nice work!

I have a question and ever after reading through your posts, can't find the answer.

How did you do the logo on the side?

wca, the logo on the side is a vinyl decal. I looked long and hard to find one that was very close to the color I painted the boat.

Another 2 weeks before I can get back to the boat. I have been working on a twin turbo dodge stealth for the last month. At least it was a paying job. The guy is coming to get it next week. It will be great to have my shop space back. I need the table saw for the front seat base and can't get to it. LOLOL

Ya know gus Ive been waiting way too long to tie up with you and crack open some wobbly tops.And now that I have the cottage you are going to have to stop on you're way to mi and do that with me and barry.:Dlol
Some day.LOL:cheers

That would be a great time BD. Boat was kind of put on hold for now. Life seems to be getting in the way. At least I have been able to get on the water with the help of a good friend.

What an incredible thread. Gus, you are an inspiration to all Checkmate owners. Can't wait to hear how your "new" Mate runs. :bigthumb:

That would be a great time BD. Boat was kind of put on hold for now. Life seems to be getting in the way. At least I have been able to get on the water with the help of a good friend.
I know what you mean gus just remember there is a mate on a lift you can come visit.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Back