• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

"Wasted Income" 1986-2011 R.I.P.

I wonder from time to time if the insurance people think that having an azz come look at it to see if "you started it". I quess they think the person will make you start crying and your right your right I did it. I would print out the resto thread and tell him would I spend this much time, money, and document everything just to burn it down. then show him the new parts.

So the guy thinks he is a hero...

I know that in CT you have a right to hire your own adjuster to look out for your best interest.

I would look into your state law. It may be a few hundred dollars well spent. As for the statement about arson, I would ask him to put it in writing. Slander isn't looked upon too favorably where I live.

I have dealt with a lot of aholes in my life and it took me a long time and lots of money to learn two things:
  1. Spending a little money for "experts or expert opinions" will usually net you a lot of money even if common sense should have worked.
  2. Your fists don't solve anything but they can cost you lots of money (figured I would throw that in there) LOL.
Keep cool and use the law to your benefit. Good luck. Sorry if I sound like I am preaching. LOL

HD

Pat & I are so sorry for your loss! So weird that we were just hanging with you, Megan and your beautiful green boat at Lake Cumberland 11 days ago. Glad your family wasn't injured. Hang in there during the insurance hassles and the mourning period. Any time you want to go to the lake with us, you are very welcome. Keep us posted.
Liz & Pat (FASTCHECKMATE)

I have seen how some of these insurance companies like screwing people over. By the time they get done waisting everyones time, the real "waisted income" will be hidden somewhere still hooked behind that truck that you stole from yourself and the boat in your driveway, just something you picked up at the scrap yard trying to fool them into thinking that your boat really did burn. He11, when it's all over with and the dust or "smoke has settled, Elvis will probably drive it back home for ya! They are clown's! Any way, going up to Ohio in a week or 2. Let me know if you need a fix, I'll swing buy and take for a ride or you can take me for a ride. Either way, you can get a FIX!

I know that in CT you have a right to hire your own adjuster to look out for your best interest.

I would look into your state law. It may be a few hundred dollars well spent. As for the statement about arson, I would ask him to put it in writing. Slander isn't looked upon too favorably where I live.

I have dealt with a lot of aholes in my life and it took me a long time and lots of money to learn two things:
  1. Spending a little money for "experts or expert opinions" will usually net you a lot of money even if common sense should have worked.
  2. Your fists don't solve anything but they can cost you lots of money (figured I would throw that in there) LOL.
Keep cool and use the law to your benefit. Good luck. Sorry if I sound like I am preaching. LOL

HD
:thumb:

Gary, you still got my number? If so give me a call when your coming up this way. If not, I'll PM it to you:bigthumb:

Wow, I didn't expect to ever see anything like this. What a reality check. I was trying to decide on a extinguisher for my engine compartment or a second hydraulic steering ram as my next project. It is going to be the extinguisher right away. You may have saved another boat by including us all. Very sorry for your loss.

I was trying to decide on a extinguisher for my engine compartment or a second hydraulic steering ram as my next project. It is going to be the extinguisher right away. You may have saved another boat by including us all.
You made my night :thumb: I hope others put thought into the ideals I have put out there as well. Please learn from what you have seen here so that our community does not have to read about another mate going up.

Reactions: wss
At first when I saw the text I didn't want to believe it... the aftermath pics are way worse than I was expecting.

Thats a bad deal, Brian... sorry this happened.

Same here, I didn't think it would be that bad when I first heard, I woke up to my wife shaking me at 6 am Monday morning saying Brian's boat caught on fire last night and I'm thinking WTF! can't be that bad, looking at the pics is heartbreaking, We were looking forward to seeing it in person and going for a ride some day.

I know you'll have another sweet ride to cruise in and I hope it works out that you get to do what you want with whats left of the Enchanter, that would be really cool!

Cheers Bro

This is a good reality check for all.
I sleep on my boat and have often wondered 'what if' we were to take on water. Well I sleep face to stern so maybe it would wake me up. Then could get out cabin or bow hatch. Never have really thought about fire till now. I have a compression system on the motor and two hand helds in the cabin and cock pit area. I do check there levels to make sure there still good every time I sleep on the boat, but man when you see the aftermath it makes you really aware.

Been awhile since i have been on here but this is not what i expect to see Very sorry and glad no one was hurt. I know exactly how you feel i was under a car that caught on fire in my garage(house was 2 weeks old) i pulled car off jack stands over my drop light and out the garage as far as i could by hand then buddy drove by saw and stopped i grabbed his chains and then (stupid as i was)climbed under car hooked chain around axle and he towed car away from house. Car was a complete loss, siding on garage melted from heat. and to prove how lucky i was there were melted tire marks across the garage floor!!!! where i dragged it by hand.

Your lucky as well as your family that is whats important and will help you get over this, thing that bothers me is everything happens for a reason? maybe something worst would have happend next season?

Seeing the boat last night was crazy, Karen and I talked about it for awhile and are both happy that you, Megan and the kids are o.k. I feel confident it will all work out with the ins. don't get down too quick.

Damn. I'm having a lousy day at work 'cause we can't seem to make some new ideas work and the bean counters are getting all over ours asses about not getting this project finished. All of a sudden my problem just doesn't seem like such a big deal after reading this horrible news. I got seriously sick to my stomach while reading about the fire, I just can't imagine putting so much work into something and then losing it like that.

It is terrible about how we dole all of this money for years on end to insurance companies and in the event of a catastrophy, they don't want to pay or it depends on the whim of some jack sauce! It is just gut wrenching when you have to fight to recieve a service you have been paying for! Then argue with them as they say it is your fault or you caused it because you modified/restored something. When my boat hits the water again I think I am going to pay the extra money for a stand-alone boat policy versus being attached to my home owner's policy. There is just too many things I don't agree with in the language of the policy.......especially the part where coverage is void in the event of racing or poker runs. Racing I can see, but not including poker/fun runs too. Plus I don't want to take the chance of getting pro-rated repair money back from the company because it is a "used" boat. Plus, I think I remember that it is not covered in the event of a natural disaster either.....horse hockey! It is important to read those policies and see how little coverage you actually have.

I think the biggest reason we are seeing this reaction is because we all know, even though I am still kind of a newbie here, about the level of hard work Brian put into his boat. For him it truly seemed to be a labor of love.

Best of luck and I certainly hope the insurance co. doesn't try to give you pennies on the dollar like they sometimes do.

The surveyor/adjuster (???) sounded like a DB, but stock up on honey. I found out the hard way that vinegar don't work. Don't argue with him, just try to be nice and educate yourself on your rights. I have also found that with some companies, the agent can make a big difference in the disposition of the settlement.

Brian, I am so sorry for that man !!!! can't imagine what you are feeling.....hopefully somehow this will all end up +++ for you..may not seem that way right now...but just maybe...let me know if you need anything...Rob

Sorry to hear this

You already have great advice on being prepared when the adjuster comes out and on hiring your own adjuster/appraiser if possible. Besides copies of all reciepts, I would have pictures/prices of any other comparable boats for sale in your area so a true replacement price can be established because they will come in low and you will need to show them that they are.

Hope this works out and glad your all OK
Rob

Brian,

I have been offline in the wake of the Hurricane and am just catching up now.

I am stunned and saddened by the thought and the photos..

thoughts are with you man....

SOOOOOOOON OF A BIIIIIAAAAAAACCCHH!!!!!!! Have NO words to describe how we feel for you! Our subscription said to re-new sept 12 but we've been down a couple of weeks. I'm still in shock about "Wasred Income!" We all feel like we knew her! I too will be installing some preventive safety equipment in my Enchanter! We all wait for a summer of fun and tend to forget that there are also dangers involved with it. If everyone installs more safety equipment because of your horrible experience, Wasted Income may very well save someone's life or prevent someone else from going thru what you are. I'm going to be very selfish here and say how sorry we are that we didn't make Cumberland this year like we wanted to, and missed seeing her and hearing her run!!

On a positive note though, a couple thing I noticed ready this thread:

1. You have ALOT of friends and support!

2. Keith is a constant! (busting your balls, LOL)

3.And JIMWAY is at a loss for words!

Don't lose your sence of humor. It will get you thru this! We're all pullin for ya!

Back