• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

jeff,s enchanter resto

Status
Not open for further replies.
well the tops off..ill attach pics after dinner...it wasnt pleasant...either the factory or somebody decided to 17 oz the nose together inside the bow...rivets wouldn't drill as the point were stickin out and wouldnt drive in...lets not forget the bottles of silcone that was installed...so out came a carpenters favorite tool....the mutimaster...you heard me...had to cut between the two lips to get her apart...with no apparent damage!!!!

well the tops off..ill attach pics after dinner...it wasnt pleasant...either the factory or somebody decided to 17 oz the nose together inside the bow...rivets wouldn't drill as the point were stickin out and wouldnt drive in...lets not forget the bottles of silcone that was installed...so out came a carpenters favorite tool....the mutimaster...you heard me...had to cut between the two lips to get her apart...with no apparent damage!!!!

Oops!!! Forgot to tell you to use a reciprocating saw between the top and hull to break it loose.:eek:

like I thought...little rot on top...not bad ..but soakin wet...

Attachments

• DSC_0410.jpg
    DSC_0410.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 125
  • DSC_0416.jpg
    DSC_0416.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 128
  • DSC_0422.jpg
    DSC_0422.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 125
Cut some wood wedges to drive between the outer skin and transom once you've cut everything loose from the inside. Don't go fast but just enough to hear the skin and transom separating. You can use the multi tool or a grinder with a cuttting disc to cut around the inside. Try to get the transom out in one piece to use as a template.

LOL!!! You should join in the fun!!!! Nothing more exciting than tearing a boat apart and rebuilding like you want it!!!:cheers:
NO............................... wrong answer ,and i think you really mean ..................rebuilding a boat like it should have been done the first time (RIGHT) with a little more craftsmanship involved because there is such a lack of .

NO............................... wrong answer ,and i think you really mean ..................rebuilding a boat like it should have been done the first time (RIGHT) with a little more craftsmanship involved because there is such a lack of .

I hate to admit it, with a name like checkmate, im not impressed with some things...on the other hand she is 31 years old...original transom with minimal rot, some of the issue are self inflicted and this hull style is a rocket in smooth water..... What im most disappointed in is the sloppy glass work around the transom...lots of places to hold water, never the less...she will be better than original soon....thanks to this forum...

Cut some wood wedges to drive between the outer skin and transom once you've cut everything loose from the inside. Don't go fast but just enough to hear the skin and transom separating. You can use the multi tool or a grinder with a cuttting disc to cut around the inside. Try to get the transom out in one piece to use as a template.

Robbie, i was hoping to get the transom out in one piece, since its more wet than rotted, i will take my time and cut it out. I am going to do as OG suggested as to droptop5.0 comment and support the hull at the transom and the hull at the top.
I want to flip the top and fix the loose foam under the bow...plus i smell a new paint on the top. thinking it will be a good time to rearrange the instruments and rewire this thing...I get anal about theses things at this point....too much time into it now to not do it right

I hate to admit it, with a name like checkmate, im not impressed with some things...on the other hand she is 31 years old...original transom with minimal rot, some of the issue are self inflicted and this hull style is a rocket in smooth water..... What im most disappointed in is the sloppy glass work around the transom...lots of places to hold water, never the less...she will be better than original soon....thanks to this forum...
Jeff , i also agree with you on the quality of the glass work or layup after reviewing your pics considering it is very sloppy workmanship , and i also must admit that i have always liked Checks in the past , and one can only hope that in the future the newer Checks hitting the market will be offering a boat built with higher standards and quality to boot . Jeff , the beauty of it all is.......even though you are doing a lot of X-tra work at this point you will know exactly what you have into this boat after your restoration which most likely will be a boat that you will be able to enjoy care free for the rest of your life considering all the sweat equity that you have put into the ole girl already ...........l@@king g@@d guy !!!

this morning pics....not the crapy factory cloth job...

Attachments

• 1-10-12 006.jpg
    1-10-12 006.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 117
  • 1-10-12 003.jpg
    1-10-12 003.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 120
  • 1-10-12 012.jpg
    1-10-12 012.jpg
    90.8 KB · Views: 115
Status
Not open for further replies.