• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

jeff,s enchanter resto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Damn all most half the core was bad? The area you sanded is it clean?

removed all of the pad(only 2" was dry) and the all stringer...was still water in the little bit of foam under the floor in the bow...

yup, funny though, i think most of the bad core was self inflicted..

most of the wet was at areas where there was either a screw or a cut in the cloth where i removed the floor 3 years ago...must not have sealed it good enough...of course it didnt help that she doubled as a hot tub last winter...:irked:

around the transom there was a rip in the cloth, i dont know where it came from....i looked at old photos, it was there 3 years ago, i never fixed it...big lesson for us all here...

Yes thats what it looks like with a quick sand and vacume....whats left is on there good, i removed all of the bad core with a good flat chisel..do i need to sand to the hull glass??

yup, funny though, i think most of the bad core was self inflicted..

most of the wet was at areas where there was either a screw or a cut in the cloth where i removed the floor 3 years ago...must not have sealed it good enough...of course it didnt help that she doubled as a hot tub last winter...:irked:

around the transom there was a rip in the cloth, i dont know where it came from....i looked at old photos, it was there 3 years ago, i never fixed it...big lesson for us all here...

Yes thats what it looks like with a quick sand and vacume....whats left is on there good, i removed all of the bad core with a good flat chisel..do i need to sand to the hull glass??

As long as it's roughed up you should be good to go. I would follow Coops Core repair that was posted in the other thread.

As long as it's roughed up you should be good to go. I would follow Coops Core repair that was posted in the other thread.

thats my plan with a little help from OG.....heres a picture of what i found last spring...:D

i must have removed a least 200lbs of dead weight since i opened the floor 2 weeks ago...and i hit 69 mph gps with all that on christmas eve....:bigthumb:

Attachments

• 3-10-11 213.jpg
    3-10-11 213.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 108
First of all...playmate, with two pasties, yup sounds gay, not thats there anything wrong with that...ha!
Sorry i missed your call...ill be at it tomorrow afternoon, so please try again...The pics below will show where im at...what do you think, do I need to sand further, theres nothing loose, just not to the original shell...i had to remove, in proportion, about 40% of the core....
Jeff , is there any wet core left at all , and if so remove and replace .

thats my plan with a little help from OG.....heres a picture of what i found last spring...:D

i must have removed a least 200lbs of dead weight since i opened the floor 2 weeks ago...and i hit 69 mph gps with all that on christmas eve....:bigthumb:
Jeff , i will give you a call tomorrow in the afternoon , and to tell you the truth i have been looking foward to being able to talk with you .

Jeff , i tried to give you a call today to explain a few other things in depth but non the less i will try again tomorrow . Hey guys . i noticed that Tim ski$ has two stars which underneath says Playmate and tim please do not take this the wrong way but to me that sounds kinda gay because we both are from being Playmates Ha Ha Ha .

Just give it some time and you'll be a "playmate" too. :poke: I just have to keep at it to get out of this "playmate" phase. :bigthumb:

Jeff , is there any wet core left at all , and if so remove and replace .

i looked pretty good in the various areas that are left, I removed the top layer of 1708, 2"x 2" areas, to check out obvious places...it appears as though i got it all...it was easy to spot, mostly were there was a screw close by or damaged 1708....

built the new transom and knee supports today...all with 3/4 rounded edges...

Attachments

• new transom 002.jpg
    new transom 002.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 135
  • new transom 010.jpg
    new transom 010.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 122
  • new transom 012.jpg
    new transom 012.jpg
    46.4 KB · Views: 129
ready for lamination....:thumb:

Attachments

• new transom 023.jpg
    new transom 023.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 92
  • new transom 015.jpg
    new transom 015.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 99
  • new transom 011.jpg
    new transom 011.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 94
Jeff , looking good and i apologize for not getting back with you earlier today considering i just walked in the door and got hammered with 10 inches of snow today with 3 to 6 tonite ...O -WELL thats Mich . Jeff , are you going to be around tomorrow ? :thumb:

yes I will be grinding away...its going down to 35 here tomorrow..really cold for NC...no snow though! dont miss that, i lived in Upstate NY for 39 years...Still own a house there...anyway, yes please call. I defiantly have some questions....Ordered the rest of the materials today, balsa, epoxy, CSM and 1708...just need it to warm up...be 60 again next week....
So far I have spent 1200.00...not including the grinder i smoked!

Funny how this transom and knee braces all come out of 1 sheet of ply..
almost like the factory designed it that way...;)
With a few hundred more, this will be a brand new boat. Then I can get back to the mechanical, this is what I was suppose to be doing this year...But first things first...

I must really love this thing, I can see where some would have let her go, this would cost at least 5000.00 if i had charged someone to do it....

Anyway, get some help movin that snow..

Jeff looks good,excellent job so far!!! Are you gonna use just one 3/4" ply or go two pieces together for 1 1/2" transom? You can hang a big ole mota off the back with extra support!!! My Enforcer was built to handle twins from the factory. When I replaced the transom went with 3 3/4" plywood encapsulated with 1708. The knees are stout as well. My mota hangs 2' off the back as well.:D

Jeff looks good,excellent job so far!!! Are you gonna use just one 3/4" ply or go two pieces together for 1 1/2" transom? You can hang a big ole mota off the back with extra support!!! My Enforcer was built to handle twins from the factory. When I replaced the transom went with 3 3/4" plywood encapsulated with 1708. The knees are stout as well. My mota hangs 2' off the back as well.:D

Robbie,
Theres definitely 2 layers of 3/4...going to laminate and encapsulate them with 1708, like OG suggested. The factory had 2 layers of 1/2 and 1 layer of 1/4??? Im finding with epoxy, you should use a specific CSM, one made for it. But I will only use that for the balsa bottom and cover the 3/4 plywood floor. The Knees are 1 1/2 also, not real big, but not a deep hull either...only 25" from the top of the transom fiberglass hull to the plywood pad...Do you have twins mota's on your girl??:lol:
Im looking to get a total of 12" set back...trying to decide how to get that, Boatman suggested 1 manual set back plate and 1 hydro...I have a 4" land and sea...not so nice but it works. Figure if I get a 8 inch set back static plate i could attach the land and sea for now, then when the land and sea dies buy a nice 4" hydo

Jeff ,just curious.... have you given much thought on purchasing a few needed items at this point such as ........... a laminating roller by Bodi -Aluminum 3 inch is what i prefer , Acetone ,plastic bondo spreaders ,good pair of sharp shears for cutting fabric ,wet out (paint)roller with roller covers , masking film or poly sheeting which helps keep the slop down.... or any unwanted resin from getting on the boat or areas of concern that dosent need to get resin on , buckets ,paint sticks or a cheap power drill paint mixer bit , Cabosil , rubber or latex gloves , And maybe a Tyvek suit to keep your clothes from getting resin on them . Jeff just thought i would throw this out to help get you started .

Jeff just curious have you purchased a laminating roller at this point by Bodi -Aluminum 3 inch is what i prefer , Acetone ,plastic bondo spreaders ,good pair of sharp shears for cutting fabric ,wet out (paint)roller with roller covers , masking film or poly sheeting which helps keep the slop down.... or any unwanted resin from getting on the boat or areas of concern that dosent need to get resin on , buckets ,paint sticks or a cheap power drill paint mixer bit , Cabosil , rubber or latex gloves , And maybe a Tyvek suit to keep your clothes from getting resin on them just a few item to think about before starting this project .

well there goes the budget!!...Im a general contractor, so i have the misc stuff. But I do need a laminating roller, where would i get that one?
The Cabosil is coming from a buddy who build surf boards, hes been at it for 40 years. Hes also a world champion surfer at 52 and still at it...:surf: He will be helping me with the wet work. He knows exacly what your suggesting with the Cabosil, he worked a boat yard when he was younger too...He will be a big help....He was wondering if i need to do anything with the plywood before i laminate it...thought it might need to be etched, or roughed up??

Jeff ,just curious.... have you given much thought on purchasing a few needed items at this point such as ........... a laminating roller by Bodi -Aluminum 3 inch is what i prefer , Acetone ,plastic bondo spreaders ,good pair of sharp shears for cutting fabric ,wet out (paint)roller with roller covers , masking film or poly sheeting which helps keep the slop down.... or any unwanted resin from getting on the boat or areas of concern that dosent need to get resin on , buckets ,paint sticks or a cheap power drill paint mixer bit , Cabosil , rubber or latex gloves , And maybe a Tyvek suit to keep your clothes from getting resin on them . Jeff just thought i would throw this out to help get you started .

OG this the rollers you mean??

http://www.shopmaninc.com/fgrollers.html

yes those are the ones and the aluminun economy rollers will work just fine and stay away from plastic . Jeff if you get a chance go back to your thread on core page 3 post 30 on what i wrote about fabric and jeff not trying to tell you what to do but matt (chop ) is not compatible or recommended to be used with epoxy because chop is designed to be used with poly or vinyl ,and fabric such as #1708 that has a matt binder are sometimes used with epoxy resins with satisfactory results but the binder may cause clouding and sometimes prevent through wet out which means this fabric will take more resin then normal to wet out .

Robbie,
Theres definitely 2 layers of 3/4...going to laminate and encapsulate them with 1708, like OG suggested. The factory had 2 layers of 1/2 and 1 layer of 1/4??? Im finding with epoxy, you should use a specific CSM, one made for it. But I will only use that for the balsa bottom and cover the 3/4 plywood floor. The Knees are 1 1/2 also, not real big, but not a deep hull either...only 25" from the top of the transom fiberglass hull to the plywood pad...Do you have twins mota's on your girl??:lol:
Im looking to get a total of 12" set back...trying to decide how to get that, Boatman suggested 1 manual set back plate and 1 hydro...I have a 4" land and sea...not so nice but it works. Figure if I get a 8 inch set back static plate i could attach the land and sea for now, then when the land and sea dies buy a nice 4" hydo

I have a single engine 250 Hp Evinrude. The boat use to have twin 200 Mercs when it was new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back