• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

jeff,s enchanter resto

Status
Not open for further replies.
yes those are the ones and the aluminun economy rollers will work just fine and stay away from plastic . Jeff if you get a chance go back to your thread on core page 3 post 30 on what i wrote about fabric and jeff not trying to tell you what to do but matt (chop ) is not compatible or recommended to be used with epoxy because chop is designed to be used with poly or vinyl ,and fabric such as #1708 that has a matt binder are sometimes used with epoxy resins with satisfactory results but the binder may cause clouding and sometimes prevent through wet out which means this fabric will take more resin then normal to wet out .

OG what size roller would you recommend?...and please...tell me what to do!! Thanks for all your help
....marine plywood needed $220.00...fabric, epoxy and tools $1200.00....all the help here...priceless!!!

http://coosacomposites.com/bluewater.html Jeff , i prefer a Bodi Econo line roller which is 3/8 x 3 Aluminum over there 3/8 x 5 . Jeff it was great talking with you today , and now i can finally put a voice to a name . Ha Ha Ha .:thumb:

and thank you for calling...i attached a close up of the hull, hopefully you can see it well enough...its not flat as there are ribs in the hull...but nothing shiny and no edges...what do you think? :sssh:...now i have to clean the shop

Attachments

• prep for balsa 013.jpg
    prep for balsa 013.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 83
  • prep for balsa 015.jpg
    prep for balsa 015.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 82
yes?.....:poke:
Jeff i apologize for not getting back with you considering i walked away from my p.c for a lengthy period of time which exceeded the time limit on any one post . Jeff , not to be rude but my concern is all the white areas ( post #125 ) in the laminate ,and please do not take this comment the wrong way because Camera's dont always paint the full picture if you know what i mean . From Play mate of the week . Ha Ha Ha

Last edited:
Jeff i apologize for not getting back with you considering i walked away from my p.c for a lengthy period of time which exceeded the time limit on any one post . Jeff , not to be rude but my concern is all the white areas ( post #125 ) in the laminate ,and please do not take this comment the wrong way because Camera's dont always paint the full picture if you know what i mean . From Play mate of the week . Ha Ha Ha

not rude at all...helpful more like it...so you think i need to sand more?...I went out and picked at the white spots just now...they will come loose with some work, guess i was afraid to go to far?...i have time and will sand more if you think it will be a better product...:)

not rude at all...helpful more like it...so you think i need to sand more?...I went out and picked at the white spots just now...they will come loose with some work, guess i was afraid to go to far?...i have time and will sand more if you think it will be a better product...:)
Jeff , can i call you tomorrow , and have you done any more sanding at this point in time ? Jeff , i would much rather talk with you in person then trying to ask question's or explain something other then typing it on this thread which would be of more help to you .

Last edited:
Jeff , can i call you tomorrow , and have you done any more sanding at this point in time ? Jeff , i would much rather talk with you in person then trying to ask question's or explain something other then typing it on this thread which would be of more help to you .

yes, pleaese do...ill be working till 3 if you can call after that?...and no i havent sanded any more ...my friend looked at it and thought it was ready, but i have time if i need to sand more...to cold here...be 5 days before material shows too. im going to work on the pad first then laminate the transom next. Trying to decide if after the hull is ready if I should have it painted, not sure what to use if I do :sssh:...Ill talk with you tomorrow...

yes, pleaese do...ill be working till 3 if you can call after that?...and no i havent sanded any more ...my friend looked at it and thought it was ready, but i have time if i need to sand more...to cold here...be 5 days before material shows too. im going to work on the pad first then laminate the transom next. Trying to decide if after the hull is ready if I should have it painted, not sure what to use if I do :sssh:...Ill talk with you tomorrow...
Jeff , like i stated in a previous post a Camara does not allways paint a perfect picture and yes i will call you after 3 ....more around 4 or a little after ..............

Jeff , just a quick mention and i know we talked about this before 17 oz Bi Ax 45/45 will and can distort very easily , and keep the pics comeing .

material showed today...i see what you mean about the 17 oz..luck for me my helper has been at this for 35+ years :sssh:...the medium harder was perfect today...it was 50 here....oh, i used the 1708 for the transom...the rest is 17 0z. biax....

ok...so heres where we are...re sanded the hull after some good advice...installed the new balsa core yesterday, getting ready for lay up tomorrow. Im hoping to be done with the core repair and new transom install by next weekend...these pics are of dry fitting the balsa...

Attachments

• core repair 011.jpg
    core repair 011.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 85
  • core repair 022.jpg
    core repair 022.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 92
  • core repair 023.jpg
    core repair 023.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 96
these pics are of installing the balsa. i followed Cooperider's article, and OG's help with epoxy. What i have found is installation of poly and epoxy are similar but are different..:eyecrazy:
Instead of CSM, we use 17 oz cloth on the hull then a mixture of resin and cabosil on the bottom of the balsa...the rest is the same, right down to the wobbly pop...:cheers:..i used everything heavy i had to weight it down overnight...the balsa stuck well....like i said time for lay up, the final layer of 17 oz....

Attachments

• core repair 023.jpg
    core repair 023.jpg
    113.1 KB · Views: 83
  • core repair 019.jpg
    core repair 019.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 86
  • core repair 025.jpg
    core repair 025.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 91
DAMMMMMMM ..................l@@king g@@d ...........Are you sure you haven't done this before ? :bigthumb: Jeff just curious are you going with one layer of 17 oz or two which i would recomend along with staggering the layup .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back