• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

1988 Vision redo

Thanks Mark --- I know one thing --- if I can get my upholstery to come out half as good as yours on your MX, then I'll be a very happy person.

Thanks Kurt, I'm sure your interior will be just as nice as the rest of the work you are doing. Have you picked colors yet? Snap in or glue in carpet?

Are you going to use a zebra or leapord pattern in the cabin?:devil: I just showed my girl Noreen your boat....She loves the slut red! She said i should paint mine that color! Should i take that as ...Im a slut?

Last edited:
Thanks Kurt, I'm sure your interior will be just as nice as the rest of the work you are doing. Have you picked colors yet? Snap in or glue in carpet?

Hmm the uphostery and carpet are both still undecided, ----as far as the carpet I think I'll leave what's there for this summer because it's in good shape --- it was replaced three years ago along with new floor --- I can't decide what to do with the seats yet, the problem is the seats upholstery is only three years old and in perfect condition but I'm not a big fan of the stripe design --but somebody spent time and money and did a real nice quality job on the seats so I kinda hate to rip those apart just yet -- I'll change my mind a few more times before I do anything.
The hatch pad is different story---that was a little faded so I decided to have Mike at Checkmate make up a new skin ---he's making me a real nice checkmate flag graphic that curves across the pad , the colors will be black red and white --- this pad design and color scheme will match the boat nicely and will match ok to the current seat upholstery in case I don't change them right away.
I should be getting the new pad skin from Ohio in the next two weeks.

Starting to put some of the new powder coated replacement hardwares on while the new paint dries.

New exhaust tips and four rear grab rails.

visionproject95.jpg
visionproject96.jpg

Another view of the new forward deck.
visionproject88.jpg

Also over the weekend I tried to get the "fade to white" under the side windows the way it's suppose to look --- however I must admit I failed at that {rookie mistakes} and had to defer that item to the pros at the shop before I did any irreversable damage, ---- I'm sure the experts will do much better.

Quick simple question for any of you that have had the chance to compare the two regarding durability.....

Aluminum windshield frame ---- what works better, anodizing or powder coating --- some of my buddies from the hot rod building days say powder coating is better, and if I were doing over a 1988 corvette I would agree.

But --- I want to hear from anybody in the boat world your thoughts.

visionproject88.jpg

I would say that powdercoating would withstand the elements/sun fading better. Most older anodized fittings and parts I tend to see look quite faded. Powdercoat it "Slut Red"!

I have not yet heard one person yet say anodize ---- so your input has just cemented the decision --- powder coat it is, thanks GF.

Although it will be powdercoated black ---- I have a lot of "sluttyness" still to be installed, like the cleats / the fuel fill / the engine vents / some more grab rails / hatch hinges / bow nav lite....

I think maybe the windshield frame maybe a little too much sluttyness --- need to keep a little class with the color combo :D

anodizing can be removed with simple all purpose cleaners at 110 degrees. my windshield frame was fusion coated which supposedly is superior to powder coating.

I'm not sure if you use a cover over your windshield during storage but that is my only complaint with my powder coated frame . I usually touch it up after any road trips due to wear from my cover rubbing on it. I don't think you do many road trips like I do all summer but just sharing my experience. The Vision is coming along very nice Kurt. You are closing in on it. Great Job. :thumb:

What about a colored ceramic coating? I think they can do that in black now. That would be ultra hard and ultra durable. PC has a good point about the cover wearing on the windshield. I would think that the hardness of ceramic would resist that well.

Back