• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

1988 Vision redo

I'm not sure if you use a cover over your windshield during storage but that is my only complaint with my powder coated frame . I usually touch it up after any road trips due to wear from my cover rubbing on it. I don't think you do many road trips like I do all summer but just sharing my experience. The Vision is coming along very nice Kurt. You are closing in on it. Great Job. :thumb:

The covers {cockpit cover and full cover} have been exactly my concern over this.
The cockpit cover snaps to the top frame --- the big concern here is the snaps themselves {the ones afixed to the frame} --- in that they are "sliders" in the frame grooves, I'm concerned about them sliding back and forth causing scraping or chiping.

The full cover, -- the concern is exactly your point {although I don't transport with that cover} --- it does constantly rub the top frame edge even while sitting on the rack at the marina -- it's usually pretty windy and that causes the cover to have it's "rubbing" effect on the frame.

Perhaps blue painters tape over the frame during transport?

Frikin genius, why didn't I think of that......
So simple yet so effective.

The blue painters tape is a great idea for when my full cover is on while sitting on the rack.
However your idea of the tape, has lead me to an even better idea just now ---- I do use a "special" soft thin extremely durable non residue medical tape for wrapping delicate chrome and coated hardwares during transports and storage for my motorcycle custom parts.
This medical grade tape is very soft, I don't know what makes it adhere to things, there is no glue or adhesive chemical at all, it's just 1 inch wide soft material {kinda like real soft durable chewing gum} and it sticks to everything without leaving behind any residue.
This stuff will be perfect for laying a strip across the top windshield frame.
In the picure below you can see a piece of this medical tape that i used to protect the edge of my exhaust tips during handling.
Great thinking atc250 thanks for the idea. {problem solved for the full cover}

visionproject93.jpg

This drives me nuts even though my boat is not mint and has started to show its 20 years . I would check into The Sippy System if it were me or the ceramic sounds great also. My next boat will not have this issue because it will be stock aluminum even though the colored frames look great. I also have the snap clips over my frame bottom only but they are extremely tight and do not move at all. Any way you go it will be nice and some times you just have to slap someone when they get to pickin things like this apart. They are obviously a little to close to the rig if you know what I mean.Lol. Enjoy that beast.

If you are foing through the effort to dissassemble and paint/powdercoat the frame, I would get rid of the slider snap setup and switch to fixed snap bases with rivets or screws. I have always found the slider type to be a PITA anyways.

What I have done in the past also is have a special fabric sewn into the inside of the cover where it would sit. You could do a fine soft sheep's wool, microfiber, or even some type of rubberized material/neoprene that will either be extremely soft preventing damage or the rubber will kind of stick it to the surface so it wouldn't slide therefore damage. I will do an approach like that on my rehabbed cockpit cover once I paint my fiberglass windscreen.

If you are foing through the effort to dissassemble and paint/powdercoat the frame, I would get rid of the slider snap setup and switch to fixed snap bases with rivets or screws. I have always found the slider type to be a PITA anyways.

Yup, I think the fixed snaps is really the only correct way to go.
Thanks GF

That's what I do during winter storage Dave. Pool noodle slit down the center. I use it when I put the mooring cover on the corners of the windshield frame to protect the cover.

Just took a pic at the shop of their version of the fade to white under the side windows.
Sure does look a lot better when a pro does it, as compared to what I attempted last week.

I apologize, it's a crappie cell phone pic, I didn't have my camera --- it really looks a lot better than the pic shows.

visionproject98.jpg

Got one a few weeks ago. Love it. The Galaxy S4 is coming out soon so you can get some good deals on the S3. When it comes to Apple being forced to use iTunes is the deal breaker for me.

What I have done in the past also is have a special fabric sewn into the inside of the cover where it would sit.

This is what I do when making covers. I like to use car top vinyl. It has a soft fuzzy side that will not mar surfaces. I'll also use closed cell foam if I need to pad a bit and sometime heavy leather over sharp corners. You just don't want to use a material that will wick and hold moisture. I agree that slider snaps are a PITA, just be careful if you drill into the frame that you don't hit the glass. I was wondering, are you using Algrip or Alcraft 2000? Looks great Kurt.

just be careful if you drill into the frame that you don't hit the glass. I was wondering, are you using Algrip or Alcraft 2000? Looks great Kurt.

Thanks Mark, On the boat itself {fiberglass} we're using ALgrip --- I was torn between Algrip and Imron, but I think Algrip is a better marine app --- on all the metal surfaces including the windshield I'm doing a powder coating.

As far as drilling into the frame, the glass is already removed and the frame is disassembled into pieces --- so hitting the glass won't be a problem -- if I were to drill into the frame with the glass in place, then absolutly I would've hit and broke the glass because that's what I do, I break things, I make stupid mistakes, then I spend twice as much time learning how to fix them :brickwall:

If it's true we learn from our mistakes, then I'm on my way to being a frikin genius:o

if I were to drill into the frame with the glass in place, then absolutly I would've hit and broke the glass because that's what I do, I break things, I make stupid mistakes, then I spend twice as much time learning how to fix them :brickwall:

If it's true we learn from our mistakes, then I'm on my way to being a frikin genius:o

I hear ya on that brother!

Kurtster..pipe insulation works pretty good also.

Just make sure you get the kind without the adhesive on the seam. I figured I could use it as long as I left the backing on but the backing peeled and the adhesive boogered up the frame on my old boat. Not the end of the world but not fun to get off.

Just make sure you get the kind without the adhesive on the seam. I figured I could use it as long as I left the backing on but the backing peeled and the adhesive boogered up the frame on my old boat. Not the end of the world but not fun to get off.

That's a great "heads up" piece of info thanks atc....

I love the idea of the pool noodle or the pipe insulator for when the full cover is on --- that's gonna be perfect.

I really love the way we can get a conversation of ideas and solutions in this forum --- thanks to all you guys for the great inputs.

Wish there were internet forums when I was younger --- would've saved a lot of "trial and error" head aches :o

Back