• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

1988 Vision redo

The first scratch is just the first of many... Just think of it this way- It's going to happen eventually, so just get the first one out of the way while reinstalling all of the hardware... that's what I did:brickwall:

Oh you mean like when I accidently ran my dremmel cutter across my brand new Grant steering wheel, then got so pissed I threw the dremmel across the shop --- went to Cheapo Depot later that day and purchased new dremmel :pissed:

Oh you mean like when I accidently ran my dremmel cutter across my brand new Grant steering wheel, then got so pissed I threw the dremmel across the shop --- went to Cheapo Depot later that day and purchased new dremmel :pissed:

Ya know, when I encounter these occurances, I always remember the quote........

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. Twenty-six times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
~ Michael Jordan

Ya know, when I encounter these occurances, I always remember the quote........

"I've missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I've lost almost 300 games. Twenty-six times I've been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I've failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed."
~ Michael Jordan

Excellent quote!

I've broken and lost countless wrenches, sockets etc by doing the same as you after busting my knuckles!

My neighbors kids came over to give me hand on my boat when doing my resto. He didn't know how to really do anything but hold tools, so thats what I had him do. Stand outside the boat and hand me tools and take things from me when I was done. Well, with a handful of tools, he leaned into the side of the boat to look over and see what I was doing. I hear the sound of a nasty scratch being applied to the side of the hull. I jumped up, leaned over and saw the damage. I looked him in the eyes with smoke coming from my ears and said it times for you to go home before I do something very bad. He dropped the tools and hasn't been back to help since:D

:offtopic: Sorry for the side track- back to the previously scheduled resto:bigthumb:

Did a test blow of some black gloss over the forward deck layup.

I'm really really liking how this is coming out.
Will shoot some more black gloss in the stern area tomorrow.

Also I just got a call from the powdercoat shop and all my exterior hardware is finished --- I will go pick that stuff up wednesday or thursday {can't wait to see all that bling ;)}

Visionproject53.jpg

Visionproject55.jpg

visionproject52.jpg

Got the external hardwares from the powdercoat shop......

The quality of the coating is quite good but not perfect ---- however what I'm not happy about is that there are two pieces missing {two 11 inch grab rails}.
I haven't called them yet but I'm sure it was an honest mistake.
Anyway, I think this hardware color {jolly pop red} will accent the black and white boat colors really nicely.
We're trying very hard to mix just the right awlgrip color for the boat striping to match all the powder coated harwares {interior and exterior}.

visionproject57.jpg

visionproject59.jpg

visionproject58.jpg

visionproject56.jpg

That hardware is going to look great installed. I may have to follow your lead on mine.

Just remember two important things..

Always have clearcoat done for UV protection in the marine environment EXCEPT for the screw heads --- if you clear coat the heads you'll never get a good grip with the screw driver.

Also just remember that any part with close tolorence screw holes will need to have a drill run through in that the powder coat will close the hole diameter by about 3 mil.

Wow! That powdercoat bling looks fantastic. Can't wait to see it on the black.

Thanks GF ---- actually I was at the paint shop this morning to leave a sample of this coating so they can continue to try and mix a custom awlgrip color for the boat striping to match ---- we've gone through a couple of iterations mixing awlgrip vivid with awlgrip burgandy but to no avail yet -- this morning they said maybe adding some pink into the mix is the answer to a perfect match --- hmmmmm I'm kinda trying to go with a "sinister" look, -- adding pink sort of just sounds wrong :irked: {not that there's anything wrong with that :)}

Anyway I did hold a coated piece against the gloss black and it looked really kool, I can't wait to start putting this thing back together.

most definatly going to need pink...you may have to start with the pink to get the color to match

Decided to talk to the reps at Awlgrip directly and we're gonna send one of my powder coated pieces directly to them where they are going to do a spectral analysis in order to mix a paint color to match exactly.
Awlgrip said the new color will be put into their files with a color code so as to be able to order it anytime in the future.
And I'll be able to name the color.....

Anybody got any ideas or suggestions what to name this color.....keep in mind that the color has a name in the powder coat world ---- "jolly pop candy red" ---- but in the wet paint world it doesn't exist yet.

visionproject59.jpg

We're inventing a new marine/boat paint color here --- any ideas for names?

Back