• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

2800SX Outboard Restoration Begins!!!

That's really cool, totally great news. I know your trying to get it in the water at a reasonable cost. I always thought that boat should have a pair of 300's on it, but now I really think it should have tripples again. (I have an easy time spending other people money for them) It would be a bit of a pain to get it all set up since the rigging is for three is gone, but you really would have a one of a kind boat if you did it.

I know you must be thinking about it?

Triple 2.4 Bridgeports would make on bad azz boat...but thirsty and ornery also!! Ultimately, a couple of steel bore fishing motors built to 240 hp would be a great combo and fuel efficient! Mike said I should see 75MPH with 200 on the Gil brackets...

They show up small for me too HD. I click on them and they just open up to the same small size. I've been following along on S&F so I've been getting my pic fix from there.

Just some advice, as soon as you can afford to get rid of the Gil Brackets and get one made by Stainless Marine. Couple of reasons, the pipe on the Gil's will rot out where it can't be detected, a lot of turbulence during takeoff with them, added stress to transom. The Stainless Marine is a sealed unit which adds flotation, usefull as a swim platform and the load is spread across the entire transom. I know because I had a triple engine Sonic back in the day and did a similar undertaking. Good luck, just trying to help by sharing some of my experience with you. Some of the Gil's do have a stainless diverter plate bolted on the bottom to help eliminate the turbulence I mentioned above. If you have them good if not try to find or fabricate some.:):)

Just some advice, as soon as you can afford to get rid of the Gil Brackets and get one made by Stainless Marine. Couple of reasons, the pipe on the Gil's will rot out where it can't be detected, a lot of turbulence during takeoff with them, added stress to transom. The Stainless Marine is a sealed unit which adds flotation, usefull as a swim platform and the load is spread across the entire transom. I know because I had a triple engine Sonic back in the day and did a similar undertaking. Good luck, just trying to help by sharing some of my experience with you. Some of the Gil's do have a stainless diverter plate bolted on the bottom to help eliminate the turbulence I mentioned above. If you have them good if not try to find or fabricate some.:):)

My Gil Brackets have the stainless steel diverter plates!:thumb:

This morning I received the original build sheet from Mike Combs at Checkmate!! The boat was ordered 4/26/1984 by Dorchester Marine (Ben Robertson) and shipped on 06/21/1984. The boat was a "Custom Edition" called the "Ashland Special". AME 4000 resin, transom modified for 3 engines, blue printed bottom, 96 gallon fuel tank, triple pre-rig harnesses, fuel guage, Stainless Steel trim tabs, tab dash indicator, dual hynautic steering with tie bars, extra heavy duty Gil battery boxs, red racing deck stripes, hull/white gel sides/black bottom, deck/white gel/black trim!! Very Cool to have this piece of history on my boat!!:thumb:

Jup try this on the gelcoat http://compare.ebay.com/like/120857882831?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar YF used perfect it on his 283.
1~ removes 1200 and finer sanding marks
2~ Polish removes swirl and puts da shine on er!
3~ is finer than #2. Removes swirls on black and makes it crystal clear

39748914033_large.jpg

When the gelcoat is bad I usually wet sand with 1000/1500/2000, then high speed wheel with 3M Finness, and then wheel again with Maguires Cleaner wax...I'm going to have to wetsand the topdeck black stripe to make it really come back...

I had to do the same on my Pulse170 (black) to get the gelcoat to shine again. Beautiful boat, can't wait to see it finished and in the water!:thumb:

Jup how's the resto going? Any updates? I posted a picture of your boat running it was BOTM in 2005 couple of posts back. Wish the picture was closer shot!:thumb:

I think he is out boating now with it :bigthumb:

I wish! Just spent the entire day with torches taking apart a 25" mid from a stock clamp to install the 25" onto an Offshore clamp with the one piece stack adapter. The second clamp and midsection are now mounted to the boat and the steering rams hooked up...I'll post some pictures later..waiting on longer studs for the bottom of both powerheads to reach through the one piece hi-performance adapters..

Ok guys, here's the update. Yesterday I wire brushed, cleaned and touch up painted my Offshore single piston clamp, polished my shifter/throttle box, removed the old batteries and cleaned the bilge. Today was a day of torches and wrenches taking apart the 25" mid from a stock clamp and marrying it to my Offshore clamp & hi-performance 1-piece adapter, installing the tilt tube for the external steering and mounting the entire assembly onto the Gil bracket. I'm waiting on longer studs for the bottom of my powerheads so I can finish mounting both powerheads. Having problems uploading pictures again...I'll post them on S&F..

Quick update. I worked on the 28 last night from 6pm to 10pm. Installed a new waterpump housing and impellor in my portside Bob's lower unit and installed the lower unit onto the mid. I also swapped out the portside block lower studs for longer studs and mounted the second powerhead to the boat!! Yeah baby, the boat has both motors and lower units mounted!:banana: Getting closer. Next I need to install my trim pumps, fuel pumps, batteries and tidy up some wiring. I'm also rebuilding/duplicating the passenger seat bolster guts out of brand new materials and glass. Once finished I can refoam and recover the bolster with the original vinyl. I'll try to get pictures this sunday...

Back