• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

2800SX Outboard Restoration Begins!!!

Great second time out!! Installed the passenger side bolster for my wife (still waiting on my vinyl work to finish the backrest, but at least she had something to sit on!) Spent 5 hours on the water getting to know the boat. Spinning BIG Suzuki 4blades (15" X 24pitch) we saw 67mph GPS at 5700 rpm with still more in it. The boat gobbled up boat wakes without batting an eye. The only mishap was my tie bar unscrewing itself after the first run..some stupid mechanic (me) forgot to tighten the jam nut. I had to beach the boat, strip down to my boxers (my wife loved it) and do a quick repair. We wound up having dinner on the water at GuanaBanas. All in all a sucessful 2nd voyage. Here's some pics and a quick video shot by my wife.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScFAXJSkrwc

Attachments

• Anns 1st day on the 2800 003.jpg
    Anns 1st day on the 2800 003.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 392
  • Anns 1st day on the 2800 004.jpg
    Anns 1st day on the 2800 004.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 89
  • Anns 1st day on the 2800 006.jpg
    Anns 1st day on the 2800 006.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 106
Jup, how much do you think all the materials for the cabin weigh in at?

How much would that weight slow you down?

Jup, how much do you think all the materials for the cabin weigh in at?

How much would that weight slow you down?

I haven't weighed them but here's a list of what has been removed:

Portside cockpit bulkhead/Starboard interior bulkhead
Portside interior bulkhead/Starboard long bench seat
Portside galley with sink/Starboard over seat cabinets
Portside short bench seat/Center V-birth bulkhead
Portside over seat cabinets/V-birth pads

I would guestimate 200-300lbs. I don't think I'll lose but a couple mph at most reinstalling the cabinets/seats/bulkheads. My biggest concern is whether or not to glass the bulkheads back into the boat. Checkmate installed the bulkheads using glassed in tabs around the bulkhead perimeters and through bolts....

Hmmm. I don't really know much but, I think I'd be chicken to run that boat very far without the bulkheads in place. While they might not be too important given Checkmate thought bolting them to tabs was enough support. I still would not go long without them.

If the wood in the bulkheads is in great shape I'd make sure they are sealed and then I'd likely glass them in solid. The small amout of added weight would be worth it IMO. I know it's a light lay up but if you ever get more hp on it, I'd want to know that it could take a beating.

Boat looks great by the way.

Hmmm. I don't really know much but, I think I'd be chicken to run that boat very far without the bulkheads in place. While they might not be too important given Checkmate thought bolting them to tabs was enough support. I still would not go long without them.

If the wood in the bulkheads is in great shape I'd make sure they are sealed and then I'd likely glass them in solid. The small amout of added weight would be worth it IMO. I know it's a light lay up but if you ever get more hp on it, I'd want to know that it could take a beating.

Boat looks great by the way.

The bulkheads are teak and the tabs are stout and well glassed to the topdeck, hull sides, and seat boxes. Once bolted in place, I doubt there's much movement but...I'm more comfortable having the construction glassed in. There is one bulkhead that is glassed in place towards the bow. In the picture below you can see the forward glassed in bulkhead and the tabs for the v-birth bulkhead. There are two sets of tabs at the cabin entry way for the cockpit kick panel bulkheads and galley to the port; storage locker to starboard..

I just purchased some Mercury 26 pitch choppers for the 28. Should have them here in about a week. Looking forward to more seat time and setup!! Hopefully get on the water this sunday if the weather cooperates!:surf:

Gave the 2800 her first real shakedown run on her 3rd time out. We ran from Burt Reynolds park up the intercoastal to Stuart's Manatee Pocket for lunch. Than we ran St Lucie Inlet south to Jupiter Inlet in the ocean in a solid 3-5' windswell head on sea off the port bow. It was ROUGH and Snotty! The old Mate handled the water better than my old body! lol Took quite a few big airs!!! My rigging held up and the Mate passed with "flying" colors. Tomorrow I'll be installing lower solid mounts on the port motor and readjusting my shift cable on the starboard motor (it sometime doesn't fully engage reverse). Here's a quick cell phone video as we were leaving the Manatee Pocket and fighting lots of boat wake traffic and incoming swells heading toward the open sea!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMj3EkYQS0w

Back