• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

78 Trimate-III Resto....

Trying to figure out logistics...but want to!! May have to hitch a ride on Robbie's....

I agree!!! I'm working in Tn and the mate is in SC. I was thinking about pulling the mate up here prior to the get together. But I really would like to store it in a garage or under a carport out of the weather while it's here in Tn. I think it's about 4 hrs to cumberland from where I'm staying.

I got confused there for a sec... Robbie you gonna do Lake Norman?... Im down with Memorial day, just hoprfully get the johnnyrude running by then, got the first fuel pump fixed, going a head and rebuilding the second one also, 33 years its probably due...still running very rich, so might be carb rebuild time, hopefully it will clear up when I rebuild the other pump...since it seems to be evenly rich on all cylinders, kinda rules out sinking float or bad needle and seat....

I got confused there for a sec... Robbie you gonna do Lake Norman?... Im down with Memorial day, just hoprfully get the johnnyrude running by then, got the first fuel pump fixed, going a head and rebuilding the second one also, 33 years its probably due...still running very rich, so might be carb rebuild time, hopefully it will clear up when I rebuild the other pump...since it seems to be evenly rich on all cylinders, kinda rules out sinking float or bad needle and seat....

The Lake Norman weekend is outa the question for me as least. My wedding Anniversary is June 3rd. Memorial Day weekend is a go!!

Ahhh Thanks to Robbie and Brian(CMpulse170 and yellowfiero88) time to revive the thread,since their constant working on the boats is rubbing off on me...lol... actually planned this for this winter but... The boat hasn't seen much work...in a while... so time to dig into it again...now the floors... with the new job I travel tons, so hopefully I will remain semi close the next couple of weeks to get this done by boating weather here in a couple months. Hopefully the transom still looks good when I get in there, it looked great when I looked at it before I painted, but now I will be able to get in there for a closer look... I want to use space age composites for the floor and stringer.. its like coosa form my understanding but uses a stainless steel mesh vs fiber, for more strength, according to them i can use a 1/2" for the floor and be plenty strong. I also decided to use them because well, I get a huge discount...for those who don't know my fathers company is in the marine industry, and uses their product from time to time, so he gets a manufacturing discount...there is even talk of getting it under sample status aka free...Ill take it! Lets see other ideas that people can feed back on... blue carpet for floor, black on sides...white seats undecided on piping or stripes, plans to buy the captains chairs, and attempt the others myself, so simple is better...I am planning white because colors just get so hot! Rear seat is going to be U shaped with the outside semi lounge type, undecided on the front seat/seats originally it was a bench style base with two backs...that seems a little weird to me but simple, I may just do the two separate seats...today begins derigging, fuel tank removal, etc etc.. tomorrow hopefully plan to start tearing the floor out....

Ahhh Thanks to Robbie and Brian(CMpulse170 and yellowfiero88) time to revive the thread,since their constant working on the boats is rubbing off on me...lol... actually planned this for this winter but... The boat hasn't seen much work...in a while... so time to dig into it again...now the floors... with the new job I travel tons, so hopefully I will remain semi close the next couple of weeks to get this done by boating weather here in a couple months. Hopefully the transom still looks good when I get in there, it looked great when I looked at it before I painted, but now I will be able to get in there for a closer look... I want to use space age composites for the floor and stringer.. its like coosa form my understanding but uses a stainless steel mesh vs fiber, for more strength, according to them i can use a 1/2" for the floor and be plenty strong. I also decided to use them because well, I get a huge discount...for those who don't know my fathers company is in the marine industry, and uses their product from time to time, so he gets a manufacturing discount...there is even talk of getting it under sample status aka free...Ill take it! Lets see other ideas that people can feed back on... blue carpet for floor, black on sides...white seats undecided on piping or stripes, plans to buy the captains chairs, and attempt the others myself, so simple is better...I am planning white because colors just get so hot! Rear seat is going to be U shaped with the outside semi lounge type, undecided on the front seat/seats originally it was a bench style base with two backs...that seems a little weird to me but simple, I may just do the two separate seats...today begins derigging, fuel tank removal, etc etc.. tomorrow hopefully plan to start tearing the floor out....

Oh the joy of constantly upgrading!!! That color combo will look great for the interior.:thumb:

Well I'm finally home to work on it... so here is some latest of the tear down... floor is coming out... its bad... stringer is worse....

Yeap a lot of nastiness...but fortunately the knees look good and so far everything I've looked at transom wise is still good... i haven't checked the bottom 3-4 inches yet still have to finish cutting the floor out to see that low... but so far so good...

the foam is soaked, floor wood soaked...and my boat has been indoors for over a year...i mean its like running water out of the foam and water drops on wood, wet... very wet...
gets worse as i go forward strangely...but there was no foam in rear of boat and more foam to the forward i guess thats why...

Here's pictures of the bow area caddman sent me to post.

Attachments

• photo_9.jpg
    photo_9.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 21
  • photo_10.jpg
    photo_10.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 21
What a mess!!! Glad to see you working on the interior. My first mate was a Trimate and I still love the look of them. I love what you have done to this boat so far. Keep up the great work!!:thumb:

a little note on the last pics Cmpulse170 posted for me... the dark spots are pieces of wood from rotten floor... core looks good... there is a couple of spots i wanna check out once i get it all cleaned out, but from first look, just dirt. a lot of the floor turned to compost up front there it is the two layer setup which i probably won't go back with...

I would do a double stringer system, add weep holes and box the bilge area in. Tie your stringers/knees to the transom for added strength.Then have the floor one level instead of the step up in the front.:thumb:

Back