• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

CHECKMATE OWNERS RALLY 2014

Yeh, my jump didn't go as planned. I was down in late august one year and the water was at least 10' lower. 4 of us climbed up to jump off, had my cousin next to me, we all went off together. My dumb ass cousin steps off, while I jumped off, leaving me above him. Thinking I was going to land on him, I tried to move sideways in the air, causing me to land ass first, breaking my coccyx. Hurt pretty good. It took about 6 months for to sit correctly. I did have the biggest splash thou! :shakehead:

Liz was telling me one of the guys died there due to his head getting pinned into the rocks below from his dive. Took a while to retrieve the unlucky fellow. It has to be close to 40 -50'. That is enough info for me not to do it. I prefer to plummet 400ft on a rollercoaster lol.

More pictures!! These are from lynchmob!

lc13_zpsc6423130.jpg

lc14_zps1ce1f4e5.jpg

lc15_zps73851096.jpg

lc16_zps187db14d.jpg

lc17_zps86353446.jpg

I am trying to keep all of the pics that members are sending me in a folder that i will upload to the album that Chris set up in the forum gallery! I will wait a few more days to make sure i have all of the ones that you guys would like me to post so that i can upload them all at once!

Is that boat towards the ride side of the raft-up in the first few pics a Maxxum 229 o/b? With a V8 OMC? So cool! I'm assuming it's pretty rare boat as well. Anyone know if the Maxxum 229 had a 22 or 24 degree dr? Either way, that's one sweet check!! :drool:

One suggestion if I could. Could we maybe look into some place other than Grider for a base? That place was a complete pain in the ass to deal with. First off they lost my reservation for my slip. So they said they would fit me in elsewhere, which they did. But they didn't realize there was already another boat, which turned out to be a squatter, in that slip. So they gave me another one, which wasn't long enough to cover my entire boat, but whatever. And when I asked them for the Checkmate 15% discount, they looked at me like I had two heads. And low and behold, after I get home, by some miracle they must have found my lost reservation and thought I was a no show, cause they went ahead and charged me again for a slip!!! So I had to call and talk with them to try to get a refund, which I still haven't gotten. This is their reason. They show where I had a $50 charge there that weekend, but the dumb ass working the cash register rang it up as gas instead of a slip!!! So they say there is no proof that I actually stayed there. I swear I have talked to smarter doorknobs than the people that run that place. After complaining enough, and even emailing them a picture of my boat in the slip from that weekend, they have finally agreed to refund me. We will see if it happens. This is all on top of having no power most of the day Saturday, and me literally getting into fights with people trying to steal Aaron, Doug, Nick and Bill's slips on Saturday. (My man Problem Child had my back, lol) I know I'm not the only one that had difficulties with them that weekend.

My suggestion would be State Dock or Jamestown. They have nicer houseboats, and really nice amenities. Plus it's still centrally located to 76 falls and Harmon. State Dock obviously has their **** together with how successful the Poker Run is every year. If you would like, I would have no problem at all contacting them and getting some info and seeing if we could get some kind of deal. I just know that after that weekend, I will never give Grider another dollar of my money.

One suggestion if I could. Could we maybe look into some place other than Grider for a base? That place was a complete pain in the ass to deal with. First off they lost my reservation for my slip. So they said they would fit me in elsewhere, which they did. But they didn't realize there was already another boat, which turned out to be a squatter, in that slip. So they gave me another one, which wasn't long enough to cover my entire boat, but whatever. And when I asked them for the Checkmate 15% discount, they looked at me like I had two heads. And low and behold, after I get home, by some miracle they must have found my lost reservation and thought I was a no show, cause they went ahead and charged me again for a slip!!! So I had to call and talk with them to try to get a refund, which I still haven't gotten. This is their reason. They show where I had a $50 charge there that weekend, but the dumb ass working the cash register rang it up as gas instead of a slip!!! So they say there is no proof that I actually stayed there. I swear I have talked to smarter doorknobs than the people that run that place. After complaining enough, and even emailing them a picture of my boat in the slip from that weekend, they have finally agreed to refund me. We will see if it happens. This is all on top of having no power most of the day Saturday, and me literally getting into fights with people trying to steal Aaron, Doug, Nick and Bill's slips on Saturday. (My man Problem Child had my back, lol) I know I'm not the only one that had difficulties with them that weekend.

My suggestion would be State Dock or Jamestown. They have nicer houseboats, and really nice amenities. Plus it's still centrally located to 76 falls and Harmon. State Dock obviously has their **** together with how successful the Poker Run is every year. If you would like, I would have no problem at all contacting them and getting some info and seeing if we could get some kind of deal. I just know that after that weekend, I will never give Grider another dollar of my money.

I'll back that up! Jamestown's pricing is right in line with Grider and it's much nicer...

I here ya Corey, had similar problems. My slip was taken when I returned to docks. Without any arguments , I gave up my slip to a fellow checkmate owner and made friends. Everything work out for the weekend and enjoyed meeting everyone. There is a fun run on lake norman, nc the weekend of August 22,23 if anyone wants to come down. Barry may be coming from what I understand.

I am game for Jamestown as well, did not want to give grinder another dollar after power was out and they still charged me $ 11 for almost cold breafeast buffet!

Stager lee was fun though and it was actually free!!!!!!

I hear you guys about Grider being a bit old and way unorganized . The thing I really like about Grider is the band rocked that entire Marina for about 3 hours Sat.which is a nice added bonus. We will be there hanging out with you all in 2015 no matter but State Dock and Jamestown are a great idea. I kept waking up with a headache at Grider for some strange reason. Hmmm.

Every year we have some sort of issues with Grider so I agree it's time for a change. We have already discussed switching marinas and there is a very strong chance of that. I would also like to switch to get a little more central on the lake and planned on checking Jamestown, State and possibly Wolf Creek but I'm not sure what they offer for lodging. If any body has a ideas of something you would like to see incorporated next year feel free to send me a message and I will make a list. I think this year was a big success despite the rain but we learned we can do things differently that will make it better.

I was certainly sorry I missed the Rally this year after having made it the past two times, and as for Grider, last year I reserved my rooms for the weekend and of course when I arrived they had me in for the previous week, and had no rooms, but when I showed them on my cell phone my email confirmation and also that I had not called them until after the dates they said I had scheduled they actually found rooms and upgraded us to the nicer rooms. The first year we stayed in the lodge and I have to admit the room, albeit tiny and outdated was clean, and this was confirmed by the fact I found a cockroach taking a shower as well!!

See you all next year!

Chuck

Back