• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

I just got in a new 21 Liberator. Going to Australia

That's gonna be a bad azz boat when you're done!!!:thumb:Are you gonna hang a 300 Merc on the back?

Man this is bare hull..Lots of work ahead.I'm curious to know the amount of time (hours) that will be involved to finish product .I will follow this thread closely.
Thanks Randy.

Yes, it will have a 300XS on it.

It will take 4-5 weeks to paint and rig.

The cat in the garage is a 25 Liberator with twin 300XS's

I've been taping off some of the graphics the last couple days. I'm ready to paint the first color, BLACK!

103_0694.jpg

103_0695.jpg

103_0696.jpg

103_0697.jpg

I have never had an employee in over 30 years. I do everything including cleaning the toilet!

I got the black untaped today. Where you see the white will be painted next. Violet lavender pearl.

103_0699.jpg

103_0700.jpg

After it's untaped, I have to retape the black so no paint gets on it. You can't have more that a couple thousanths of the black showing. This is where my eyes start bugging out

.103_0701.jpg

Here, the black is masked over so it won't get painted over

103_0702.jpg

103_0703.jpg

Here is the new color sprayed on.

103_0705.jpg

103_0707.jpg

You can see the reflection of the pearl in this pic

103_0708.jpg

I see you wet sanded before painting. Did you have to do any priming and blocking or do they come to you pretty streight? Can't wait to see the pearl against the other colors when all is finished.

Yes, the boat comes straight. I have been a painter for over 30 years and just like doing my own stuff. The painted boats hold up much better to the sun and weather than gelcoat. I first wipe the whole boat down with lacquer thinner and wash it with soapy water. Then I DA sand it with 220 grit. After that, I wetsand the whole boat with 400 grit wetsand paper. If it's new gelcoat, the paint sticks very well to the bare gel. I used to seal them, but I seem to get better results and adhesion over the new gel. If it was a used boat, I would always prime with epoxy primer or sealer though. My motto is "No shiny spots" If there's a shiny spot, then it needs to be re-sanded.

Absolutely, shiny spots don't stick!
Was just wondering how streight they come. brand new car parts are rarely streight.
Thats great they come ready to scuff and spray.

The Liberator decks are very straight. The sides are pretty straight, but not as perfect as a Checkmate. There are no flaws to be repaired though. I had my bodyshop for 25 years and did alot of frame-off restorations, so I know what you mean about new car parts.

Back