• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Important Thread - Please Read!

I appreciate you posting these comments, but the problem is that you're picking out responses only, and leaving out the original posts that were being responded to. So in essense what you're doing is posting the "effect" but what we're not being provided with is the "cause"

Now in the thread that you referenced with the duct tape comment, who fired the first shots? Well, as I see it, it was actually Ross. And I like Ross, but hey, he took out his gun and started shooting, but basically accusing the guy of lying. And then "Check This" fired back and now some are jumping on him for what he posted.

But as I said earlier, if you punch someone in the nose, you can't exactly cry when you get a fat lip. In that particular thread, that's what I see, but maybe others see it differently I dunno. Perhaps there is more of an issue and point of discussion around whether his response to what Ross said was inappropriately harsh.

But whatever, let's not beat around the bush here...

Part of this whole deal is that there is group on here that is pissed off at "Check This"...

Right?

And I believe you guys would like him banned, sactioned or whatever...

Right?

And there is more than likely lots of private communication about all of this...

Right?

And so now what we've got is essense is people basically taking turns poking at him....

Right?

And then when he goes off, it's all his fault....

Right?

Perhaps I'm wrong, but it seems to be the case.

So, why don't you guys just start a thread in Board Feedback and suggest what it is that you seem to want.

Start a thread suggesting that "Check This" get banned or sanctioned or whatever the heck it is that you seem to be after and then we'll discuss it and move on, one way or another.

-Chris

Chris
Your very level headed and very fair, there was a comment/thought to have us vote on some of this, but that might be turning the prison over to the inmates.

Please retain your right to run your site the way you see best.
Rob

Well if nothing else, they will have a big RED greenie instead of a bunch of pretty green and yellow ones.

It's sounds like some of you guys have some work to do. ;)

-Chris

Chris are you callin Big Red a Greenie, thems fightin words.:rof:

Chris
Your very level headed and very fair, there was a comment/thought to have us vote on some of this, but that might be turning the prison over to the inmates.

Please retain your right to run your site the way you see best.
Rob
Thanks for the kind words - I/we always try to be fair by everyone.

We have rarely banned anyone - but when we do it will be a decision that JW, Gus and myself will make.

I think what I was more trying to evoke, was for people to post the truth about what is pissing them off. People were beating around the bush somewhat.

You can't really fix something that isn't even being talked about.

-Chris

Damn this thread took off again I had to go get more beer !!
024.gif

030.gif
beer
014.gif

It's this BS that I'm talking about that was just posted tonight:

"At least I had a Liberator to stuff!! What kind of boat do you have?? I smell duct tape here. Another roving troll that goes from site to site -- A troll who will not fill out profile -- A troll who could care less about this place A troll that will never be a paying member -- boat sites are loaded with them.:banana:"
This was a response to something written and directed to me if this had been you -- What would you have done?? You seem to be putting up my posts but not what I am responding to. I challenge you or anyone else her to put up something where I was not negitive right from the start.
You can forget about my diagreement with Randy here - I am a customer of his our relationship is based on that and not a few posts going back and forth.
My Kip post same thing like you I am a C/M customer when I think they are wrong I will say so, thats my opinion -- not bashing just an opinion -- like you have yours. I have mine.
Just like when a couple of members showed a water melon under a box and claimed it was a "joke" Yeah and I believe in the fairy God mother. and I responded with VIGOR!!!! I will continue to do that also. If Chris wants to kick me off thats his perogitive.

It's this BS that I'm talking about that was just posted tonight:

"At least I had a Liberator to stuff!! What kind of boat do you have?? I smell duct tape here. Another roving troll that goes from site to site -- A troll who will not fill out profile -- A troll who could care less about this place A troll that will never be a paying member -- boat sites are loaded with them.:banana:"

Why didn't you put up the post I was responding to. Or are you a person that likes to tell half the story.

Why didn't you put up the post I was responding to. Or are you a person that likes to tell half the story.

I think Chris already responded to this is like fashion. Topic covered, argument had. GAME, SET, MATCH....CHRIS

Chris; said:
Anyone can drop some coin on some new hull, what you're doing with yours is something to be truely proud of.

Chris, now you have offended me, I will send you a PM. LOL

Why must you add little digs in your responses that come across as attacks. :shakehead:

I appreciate the clarification.

So if what you say is true, then I can appreciate why you got testy over having your integrity questioned.

However....

All members, yourself included, need to respond in appropriate, measured and reasonable ways to one another. And I don't believe you have done that on a number of occasions here since your arrival. If you have indeed been trying to do that, then I will say to you, that it is certainly not coming across that way, or coming through that way in your posts on many occasions.

And because of that, you have now gotten under the skin of a number of members here, which is evidenced by some of the responses seen in this thread and others. Hopefully you would agree, that the escalation of that situation, from a common sense point of view, simply can't bode well for your future enjoyment of the site - nor for enjoyment of the other members of the site either.

So what I would therefore ask you to do in the future, is to cut your fellow members here some slack, before you pull out your "keyboard cannon" and let it rip. I've seen you do that on a few too many occasions now and that's part of the problem here in this thread, I believe.

I guess some would call it overkill but I just sum it up like this...

You don't need a AK-47 to go duck hunting....

Know what I mean?

Regards,

Chris

Why must you add little digs in your responses that come across as attacks. :shakehead:

I was going to mention that too. I think if you could defend yourself without attacking everyone/anyone else, it would probably work out much better.

That being said, I just want to reiterate what Chris already alluded to- none of the messes that have happened have been purely Check This' fault as some seem to believe.

As far as suggestions for solving this in the future, I think it's best to rely on the community regulating itself- moderation can solve some things, but when it gets to a certain point it will cause more problems than it solves while still being a complete PITA for Chris, JW, and Gus. As others have said, we should all be able to act (type) like the responsible adults we are.

Thanks again to Chris and the mods for their hard work and support of this forum... I owe all my boating knowledge to it.

This was a response to something written and directed to me if this had been you -- What would you have done??

Try ignoring it like I've done with you for the past couple of weeks. It was an old post in the same thread that had newer posted responded to.

You seem to be putting up my posts but not what I am responding to. I challenge you or anyone else her to put up something where I was not negitive right from the start.

Try - http://checkmate-boats.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15845

You can forget about my diagreement with Randy here - I am a customer of his our relationship is based on that and not a few posts going back and forth.
My Kip post same thing like you I am a C/M customer when I think they are wrong I will say so, thats my opinion -- not bashing just an opinion -- like you have yours. I have mine.
Just like when a couple of members showed a water melon under a box and claimed it was a "joke" Yeah and I believe in the fairy God mother. and I responded with VIGOR!!!! I will continue to do that also. If Chris wants to kick me off thats his perogitive.

I respectfully ask you to now leave things where they are. You and I aren't going to get along and I will ignore you from here on. I've not asked for your removal, just your cooperation with mutual respect. :thumb:

This thread is headed in the same direction as the ones being discussed! :brickwall::brickwall:

If you're going to ignore then ignore!
If your going to refrain then do do so!

A couple I think are just refueling or reloading!

Chris, thank you for this site and your time running it. I've been mulling around it since 05. Overall its enjoyable. I visit less now and don't jump in on many topics lately. Things just get too crazy. Its a shame, but unevitable given the large membership, that you needed to start this topic.

i hope you can come to a resolution that will not affect the tone of the sight too much. There seem to be many good people here who are worth communicating with.

Kepp up the good work!:cheers:

I hate to even add another post on this, but I've read the whole thing and (like most people) just want to add a few positive words about the site and.... offer up my opinion.

1) Chris - as said 100 times, we all really appreciate all of the effort you and the moderators put into the site. I mean that very sincerely.

2) I posted some mushy thread a year ago about how this site was much more of a community than other sites I've been to. I think this is still true for 99% of the posts I see here. Although I need a bit less help than a year ago, I'm still impressed with how much help people give here.

I personally see no need for profiles or even negative feedback meters. It seems there are only a few people involved in the conflict that I assume started this - I'd suggest that if the same craziness starts from the same people, then someone gets a suspension -- turn JW loose on 'em! I know no one wants to be accused of being a censor, but I think I saw a thread where someone said they were proud to be a racist. Now 'cmon guys - that's not the kind of community I want to be associated with.

Anyhow - Chris, JW, Gus - thanks for the effort and this remains my favorite site of all time!!

Darn, I've been out in my garage for the last few nights working on the boat and haven't even looked at this site to see the bru-ha-ha I've been missing. My two cents worth:

For Checkmate owners this site is invaluable because of the wealth of information here. Plus, how many boating sites have guys from the factory that check in and answer questions? That's a truly awsome part of this site.

This site is linked from the Checkmate webpage, so whether there's an official relationship or not, what goes on here can potentially reflect on Checkmate. In my humble opinion politics and all of that other nonesense not related to boating doesn't belong here. Those discussions do nothing to add to this site, and there's no reason that individuals who want to discuss politics or whatever can't do it on an appropriate message board. I wouldn't blame Chris at all if he made heavy use of his delete-thread button.

I'm a recent Checkmate owner, and I'm certainly glad and appreciate the fact that this site exists.

There are many sites on the Web, and you can pretty much find information and a medium to express your opinion on pretty much any topic. I'm not here to discuss religion, abortion, politics, environmental issues or any other topic; I'm here to share information on Checkmate boats.

Ideally, the members of this site would take it upon themselves to be respectful of themselves and of the other users. In the case there that doesn't happen would I be in favour of the moderators removing the offending posts or suspending a user? Yes. Is it an ideal situation? No. But we all have to live with rules and that's life.

Phil

p.s. Where I come from, the only people that are viewed as being above god and politicians are hockey players..:D

Back