• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Important Thread - Please Read!

Chris

Administrator
Staff member
For the past year or so, I have had a number of members comment to me privately and also just in general on the open forums, that there are more members getting into arguments etc.

Some members have summed this issue up as being along the lines of... "the tone of the site has changed" etc.

Now there are a number of us who are of the belief, that much of this started with a number of political threads and debates that popped up around U.S. election time in 2008.

Now the difficulty around this issue and all issues that require moderation is this...

When we moderate, or try to quell these types of threads when they begin to get heated, or when they are heated, the inevitable result is that a number of members often step forward and make the argument that moderation is not required. The arguments are typically the same, they're along the lines of we're all grown ups, it's just one person upset, what's the problem, let us have our freedom to debate, we can't openly discuss things here etc. etc.

But unfortunately, typically the pattern of what happens in many of these threads is often the same and it's this...

The thread starts out and it's someone posting their point of view, or a political joke and things start out civil, then people start responding and disagreeing, then things get more heated and then things eventually blow up. At that point, typically my PM box starts filling up with complaints and requests for me to do one thing or another. One group want me to remove the thread, some want me to lock it, some want me to take action against particular members and then there is the group that often tell me that they're disappointed in the site, that it's gone downhill and isn't the same etc.

Then when I review matters and if I decide to take action, another group gets upset and now begins to cry about us over-moderating, that the entire thing was caused by this person's actions, or that persons actions, but that in general whatever the case, very little intervention is required.

And that's the usual argument against us taking action, something that I think most will agree we don't do a lot of. And something that I will tell you that we only do, when we feel it is in the best interests of all involved and the site.

Now let me say, that I'm not saying that every single political thread has gone this way, but the simple fact is that many often do. And I'm also not saying that the only issue we've ever had is because of political threads, because I'm not saying that. But many of these heated threads originate from hot topic discussions like politics, religion etc. And time has proven that many of the issues that develop in these threads, then spill over and carry over to other parts of the site and into other discussions.

Now personally I realized all of this long ago, and so that was why back in the fall of 2008, I actually went to the work and expense of putting together a separate politics forum (politicalinterference.com) for people to use. The idea of having that site, was that people could go there and discuss these issues on a completely separate forum and for those here who didn't want to take part in these types of discussion, then fair enough, don't go join or view the other site.

And in the end, the basic request that was made at the time, was for people to go discuss politics on the other site rather than here in order to "keep the peace" as it were. Now, we did not make a hard and fast rule per se that politics were off-limits, instead it was just sort of a general request and most members co-operated. But unfortunately, the way that people co-operated was not that they went and joined the politics forum. Instead, what they did was they stop posting political threads here - or at least for a while.

Then over a period of time, the political threads began to return once again and since then we've gone through a number of cycles of flare ups, supression, flare ups, supression.

So here's the question for all of you.

What do we do about this?

As I already posted, for me, this is a no-win situation. If I do nothing, then people are mad at me. If I do something, then other people are mad at me.

So I basically can't win.

So what do we do?

Do we make a rule that political discussion here is "off-limits"? Meaning that people can't discuss these issues here and instead will be asked to go to our political site that we created to discuss these issues, or elsewhere for that matter.

Do I start closing threads at the first sign of trouble and that's the understanding of what will happen in advance?

Do I leave these threads alone and tell people that if they don't like it then don't read it and don't participate?

You guys tell me what the options are and then we'll hold a vote of the best suggestions and see what the results are.

I'll take a look at what the poll results are and will then discuss this further with JW & Gus and some select senior members of the site.

It's your turn, let's hear your thoughts.

Thanks,

-Chris

Well, like you said you can't win.... I've read most all these problem threads and I get along with everone on this site... I might not agree with everything, but I don't hold that against them. I don't participate in any of the bashing... I'd just let it go as unmoderated. Those of us that don't really get into it will ignor it and eventually it should burn itself out.

I don't think bickering in some threads should cause members to leave, but I guess thats a risk you take by letting it happen.

Everyone should chill out and not take everything so seriously... this is a performance boating website afterall.

At least thats the way I see it.:cheers:

Politics, religion, race, Baja, all can result into a major conflict on a thread and its always on a trail for dome. We all have are reason why we stand where we do. But in all reality we can not go posting those reasons. Some people are more out spoken then others. Some people choose not to speak whats on their mind. Some don't give a crap either way. Some choose to stir crap up with the lights out. And some do it behind others back or in a closet.

I don't know what a good suggestion would be here it is a boat site. But then again other things break up a dull moment but that also could lead to a disaster.

No matter what happens everybody is not going to be hugging and kissing with each other. I am no saint here I know I have pushed my limits a time or two. But as I looked threw past heated threads their are people that have joined in on a heated thread but criticize other heated threads.

You need to do what you feel is best Chris its your site.

I'm a fairly new member here( 3 yrs) and joined because it was a cool site that promoted the love of Checkmate boats and where you can hang out share ideas and learn new things. I caught the bug when I bought my first Checkmate and like other Checkmate owners I was proud to own one.

Since before during and after the Presidental Election, this site got tense and uptight so Chris did what he thought was best and created another site for political debates. That worked for a while then it started all over again, I'll take a jab at Obama or Bush, but when it gets to personal attacks I draw the line.

The way I see it we got choices here, we can all get along no matter what race,religion or political background we're affliated with.
Chris can create some type of vent/smack talk thread, ban members that constantly throw personal attacks at other members, or Chris could say the hell with it close the site down, that would suck. The bottom line here is we all have different opinions agree to disagree but the personal attacks has got to stop.

Btw this site is my stress reliever from work, I enjoy reading what all of you have done or going to do to your mates.

I don't know, I've only been on here for a few months and already I've learned that
- I shouldn't laugh at jokes (I lack cognitive reasoning skills)
- Since I didn't buy a new Checkmate that I don't support Checkmate.
- People can and will jump on you for anything
- It gets nasty in here at the end of boating season
- Glad I didn't pay any money to be a full member

In the end, it's not my forum to run but I do appreciate the voice Chris.

Cheers M8's - BRIO

Chris your doing great, It's a great site.

You and the other Moderaters/Senior Members have done very well, and what ever you do will be the best of a very difficult situation.

My .02 is you will likely be driven to have a no personal attacks rule and enforce it. I hate this because it's babysitting, but that's what your hav'n to do now anyway.

If I got restricted or banned, I'd deserve it. I trust you, and wish you well with whatever is decided, even if it's to make no changes or ... shut her down.:(

Rob

All boating websites are like this. It all starts with topics that have nothing to do with boating but eventually spill over into what the site was set up for. I am as emotional as anyone about these subjects and often times I get carried away with my responses. I believe that if people were speaking in person 99% of the nonsense would get laughed off. When you are not looking into somes eyes it is hard to tell what they are really feeling. So I will take all with a grain of salt EXcept one. I will always take a stand against racism in any shape or form whether it be a joke or not. Hey I am a chit head :eek:,every once in a while, (maybe more then once in a while) but who is not.

- Glad I didn't pay any money to be a full member

In the end, it's not my forum to run but I do appreciate the voice Chris.

Cheers M8's - BRIO

I get where your coming from on the points you made, but disagree with the last one quoted here.

I'm glad you said it though, as you reminded me that I want to step up and help when good guys, who are working hard and getting beat up for it, could use my help.

BRIO, I think your a great addition to the site and hope you change your mind on it.

I will sign up today to be full member, besides trying to not "shoot my mouth off" it's the one thing I can do to try and make the place better.

Once again thanks Chris, and everyone else who works to make this site better.

Rob

I really love this site. It's a great virtual community bringing a lot of people with a common interest together. That's a pretty cool thing and I thank Chris for his hard work.

Having speant a lot of time in the military and now in a leadership position in the civilian sector as well, my only advice on the issue at hand is this: if you keep trying to make everyone happy, you'll just end up pissing everyone off.

So, call and make your shots and the rest of us who are renting space in your virtual creation will live with it.

I really like C/M boats, and pictures of C/M boats and stories about going fast in C/M boats and...well you get the idea, I'll keep hanging out as long as I'm into Chekmates.

Well Chris, you certainly have a challenge with this issue, and since you can't please anyone - here are my thoughts:

Any political/racial/sexist/religious or otherwise not checkmate/boating related thread is instantly deleted - no exceptions.

Any member that chooses to personally attack another member - instantly banned.

Should a thread start that could cause problems, the offenders be notified privately and if they choose to continue - they will be banned as well.

I realize that the above is a little draconian (maybe a lot draconian); however, I think the only way to stop some of this nonsense is with consequences severe enough to curb the offenders before it has a chance to get out of control. Those who get banned, well, we don't want them here anyway.

We are here to share a passion for all things checkmate, we will agree on some things and fundamentally disagree on others, but we need to respect everyone’s opinion.

Look folks, we are all adults here, and I can't for the life of me understand why it is so difficult to behave like adults and say things that would never be uttered face to face. Problem is, the keyboard gives anonymity and therefore gives some people the feeling that they can do or say anything they like. We still live in free countries, but that doesn't give us the right to behave like an ass in front of computer screen.

Common respect and courtesy should be the order of the day, that doesn't mean you can't disagree, but you can disagree with respect, and you can also agree to disagree - it doesn't need to be personal.

There have been a few occasions on here, where I have wanted to chime in on an issue, but haven't because I knew full well the poster had already made up their mind, and would not listen anyway - so what is the point? I have better things to do with my time. And for a while I didn't check in at all, because things were getting a little to infantile. All I have to do is listen to my 3 kids fight to get my fill of infantile behavior; I don't need to read it here.

Chris, at the end of the day, it’s your call, it’s your site, your party, and you have every right to control who’s invited. You, Gus, and JW have put countless hours and effort into building a great hang out for those who are passionate about their checkmate’s. you guys need to do what you feel is best, and I for one will stand behind any decision you make.

Thanks again for all the work and effort you put into this site, and it is truly unfortunate that the few are trying to spoil it for the many.

Chris

First off I want to thank Chris for doing a great job and taking up most of my free time with this site! :thumb:

I think as the board gets older and more members sign up, we are bound to get more heated threads. AND, with more members signing up daily, we will get more members complaining. I dont think the percentage of complaints in relation to total number of members has risen though.

This was happening years ago when I posted some pics of my boat with some girls in it. Then there was some red blooded male talk about "chickmates". Some members cried a river. Some got over it and some left the site.

It takes allot to offend me ( if it can even happen). I would never think of tattling to a board official because I didnt like what was being posted here. You only have to read what you want.

There is alot of great info here in the proper sections. If you are here to talk boats and talk boat tech........... stay out of the other threads. I can go weeks and read only threads that are about fast boats and tech questions. OR, I can CHOOSE to indulge myself in a bit of trash talk.

Anyhow, from what I see we are doing fine here if we can get through this tight spot and I plan on staying around for a while. :cheers:

Matt

Last edited:
I think you do a hell of a job Chris

I would say that the occasional civil discussion on whatever is good to go, theres a lot of intelligent folks on here with different viewpoints and it can be enlightening for everyone to discuss and the occassional political thread is impossible to avoid. although members should keep in mind this is a boating forum and isnt a forum for racism, sexism, ignorance etc.

and any discussions that tip the scale are immediately closed, and members warned, and if people wanna be repeat offenders, ban them.

I appreciate your concern for keeping everyone happy Chris, but at some point, this is your playground, and Ill play here by your rules cause I want to be here.

What I think is that if you dont like the topic DONT READ IT there are alot of threads that when I read the title I wont open them because it will upset me for some reason. Just becuase you dont like it does not mean it has to go away some people do like it. IF YOUR IN THE VIDEO STORE AND YOU HATE SEEING NAKED PEOPLE DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE TO GET RID OF THE ADULT SECTION OF THE STORE JUST STAY OUT OF IT!!!!!!!!!!!! I have made some complaints in the past but I have also learned how to avoid them. The people that look for excusses to leave the site usually do over time anyways. I say let it go on I dont care.

i've been kickin around this site for a couple years and must say that it is the best of any that i go to, chris you really do a good job with it. it is not possible to keep everyone happy, as everyone has their own view of what this site should be like and what content they do or do not want to see. chris can't be accountable for everything that is posted on here as it is a collection of other people's thoughts. i've seen some of the bickering but really don't pay attention to it, and i'm sure as heck not going to contact an admin about it...if i don't like it, i just won't look at. there are alota people on this board, there are always gonna be a few who do nothing but complain and argue...good luck to em. i like the board, i wouldn't want to see too much change.

All boating websites are like this. It all starts with topics that have nothing to do with boating but eventually spill over into what the site was set up for. I am as emotional as anyone about these subjects and often times I get carried away with my responses. I believe that if people were speaking in person 99% of the nonsense would get laughed off. When you are not looking into somes eyes it is hard to tell what they are really feeling. So I will take all with a grain of salt EXcept one. I will always take a stand against racism in any shape or form whether it be a joke or not. Hey I am a chit head :eek:,every once in a while, (maybe more then once in a while) but who is not.

Check, I disagree, this site doesn't have to be like all the rest.

And I agree that when we can, we should stand against racism and any form if intolerance. I believe in the saying that "For evil to prevail all that has to happen is for good people to do nothing".

But trying to control intolerance and racism here, sometimes with personal attacks will never work.

Your going to have say do don't agree, no swearing, and let Chris, Gus and JW do the rest if the feel they need to.

You and I will likely never have the opportunity to meet, I bet I'd really like you if we could. I'd love to ride in your boat it's way faster then mine, I've never been over 65mph in any boat.

I wish you well and hope your able to find a way to recognize the things you can change and the things you can't, and stop fighting "no win" battles.

Rob

i browse often and post very rarely, i read what i want
when i want, i like most of what i read here, some of it
i don't like, but most of what i don't like on here is the
hatred and racism and ignorant rants by the same handful
of people, and i don't think they realize it's them we are
talking about here. i've seen the finger pointed at them
and they turn around and post as if it were someone other
than themselves causin the problem and that is a problem
in itself. not every tool in the shed here is sharp if ya know
what i mean.
hey you making racist remarks and stirring the pot with name
calling and making threats, WE TALKIN 'BOUT YOU!! knock it
off or go away. i think that's the answer:thumb:
it takes alot to pizz me off cuz i'm thick skinned but some people
can't stomache that crap nor should they have to but i say
leave it as it is cuz most of the flakes will jus blow away soon
enough, especially if you don't fuel their fire, know what i mean
vern?:poke:

Chris wouldn't have started this thread if the bickering was not causing him grief. Maybe the posts don't bother him per say, but the PM's may, because people are upset.

I tend to have low tolerance for BS, we have enough of it in real life. If it were my site you would get 2 opportunities to do something stupid (we all have a beer or two and get behind the keyboard).

If you threaten someone with bodily harm or take up a fund to fly to someone's house to meet them, that is just ridiculous. I am absolutely appalled that this type of attitude has made it to this site. I am not surprised to see it elsewhere, but I never expected it on this one. This type of behavior is a liability for Chris, and and should not be tolerated.

Regardless of the outcome, I AIN'T GOING NOWHERE!!! If you want to fly to my house, you better have your drinking face on!LOL

I make an effort to get along with all the members (and will continue to), even that damn Hotbeek.

Good luck Chris

Well, hopefully we can all move forward and chris you do what you need to do and you are doing a really good job and i appreciate it. We all come from different walks of life and because of that there will be tenson at times, its like that in any large group. I will own up to my short comings i am very hot headed and protective and i can admit that especially when something comes at me from out of nowhere. Most of you i agree with concerning this thread and some i dont, did i handle myself wrong? you bet i did but i will put this behind me and be more careful in the future. Do i hold any ill will towards anyone? no i dont and hope i can get along with everyone, for me im just going to be more careful of what to get into on here. Thanks for letting me get this in the open guys. Ron

Back