• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

SCT's 1969 Checkmate V191 Raceboat restoration.

I know your painter knows what he's doing but, are you spraying the inside too? Asking since the handles and gauges are still in.

Finding short shaft inline Mercs has been more challenging than I expected at the beginning of this project. Back in the late 70s after the V6s debuted, inline stuff was a dime a dozen......not anymore. Hopefully, I will have news on a second 1250 soon!:cheers:

Last edited:
Finding short shaft inline Mercs has been more challenging than I expected at the beginning of this project. Back in the late 70s after the V6s debuted, inline stuff was a dime a dozen......not anymore. Hopefully, I will have news on a second 1250 soon!:cheers:

Way cool project Dude!

Did you ever meet Whitey from Springfield? He brought his ancient Power Cat (I think) to the Rumble one yr. Was twin in-line powered.
He tried HARD to get me in for a ride and I couldn't come up w/the time while running the event. I remember being on the judges stand and watching that thing do a hole shot and knowing I made a mistake.
Was blown away by how strong the thing ran.

Those tabs came out bad ass!
I remember trying/failing to find a set for the '69 16' I restored a 100 yrs ago.
I dug deep enough to find they came from a foundry in Bucyrus (as I recall) that has long since closed.

What are you thinking for speeds?? High 60's/low 70's?

Way cool project.

Great work too Coop.

Unfortunately, Bucyrus has all but closed itself. Nice work SCT looking forward to more. :cheers:

Here's one, when I lost the port side window on the starflite about 1999/2000. I called down to purchase another. Someone on the end was like not sure if we have any. After about 10 minutes of searching the attic area, he comes back and say's One left, first come first served. I'm was"be there in two hours". Made the drive down, never being there before I stop at the first building with Checkmate on it. Well it was a mostly vacant huge wearhouse/grain elevator/train depot. Parked the truck and started walking around, I think they filmed robo cop there or something. After about 20 minutes walking hoping not to get murdered. I walked thru a door and it was Meca! A well lit room, painted white with about 15 deep V's all in various stages of rigging, mercruiser's hanging from chain falls ect. and not a sole in site. Made myself at home looking everything for another 5 minutes, finally I hear a can I help you? Make it short, I was sent a few more miles down rt. 4 to the office building, where I purchased the last boxed windshield for a starflite for a $500 :(

Thanks for letting me share, good luck Merc245

"I finally got around to catching up on this thread. Super cool, SCT. Any updates? "

Thanks, Dave! My painter dude promised me it would be done around the end of the month........:eyecrazy:

The last 10% of sanding seems to take the longest. I was putting time in on it today. To work on my stuff, I have to work on SCT's, so an hour for my stuff is an hour for his. It keeps me sane that way. No pictures today, sorry.

SCT, unless they slam me with bunch of oil hauling, then the end of the month still holds.

I'll get some pictures this week.

Reactions: SCT
Quick question on gel coating. You said that your spraying the flake first then the clear. Could you spray gel coat instead of clear or is it the same thing?
Prep work is looking good and I'm enjoying this thread!

Hey, I just realized we're a week into August! Is the boat done, and where are the finished project pictures?? Want to see Want to see!
:needpics:

Hey, I just realized we're a week into August! Is the boat done, and where are the finished project pictures?? Want to see Want to see!
:needpics:

It's been pushed back a little while by me working my regular job more than normal.

Quick question on gel coating. You said that your spraying the flake first then the clear. Could you spray gel coat instead of clear or is it the same thing?
Prep work is looking good and I'm enjoying this thread!

Same stuff. One is clear, one has pigment.

Back