• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

100 MPH PULSARE?

Allison's are fast, but when you start comparing them to a Checkmate, they are not as wide as a C-mate and what they call a 21' is not quite that long. When you compare the 2, pound for pound and motor's being the same, the C-mate is just as fast. The C-mate's were designed to be a family performance boat and not a production race boat. But, take away all of the extra's and make as light as the Allison's and it will be as fast. Is 100mph out of reach for thr Pulsare? No! Just a bit harder to get there. boatman

I agree with boatman a wider pad will slow you down its more drag. Let me toss this out their. Checkmate notched the back of the Convincors and I herd it picked them up on a 300 Convincor 5-6 mph. Could this be don on a pulsare.

Attachments

• DSC00302.jpg
    DSC00302.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 35
They put a notch in the 24 Pulsare and said it ran terrible!

Their goes my idea
hitfan.gif

My thought on the wider pad was this. On the smaller boats, the streams, Allison and such the boat is allot lighter. Like half the weight. When a boat is at speed and up on the pad its providing a pivot point between the motor and prop and the rest of the boat trying to get out of the water. A smaller pad will ride deeper in the water than on one that is say 2" wider.
Or I could be completely off my rocker, in that case we now return you to your regulary scheduled program.

I know Allisons are fast hulls but that bottom looks like a rough ride in the chop.

The wider pads definitly ride rough in the chop. Velocity's pad is very wide and they can beat you up pretty good...they are fast to a point, power for power, but the weight slows them down compared to other 22' Boats. The Pulsare is much lighter with a narrow pad....that's why they ride so well compared to other pad bottom boats. I can attest that the pad on my Hydrostream Valero YT is at least 10-12" wide (I'll have to measure)...and it's a rough ride..even in small chop, although I'm sure much of what I'm feeling is from the extremely light weight of the boat. The hull is only 800 lbs. There are Valeros that have run tripple digits but it's a Mod VP hull...part tunnel/part V-pad.

They put a notch in the 24 Pulsare and said it ran terrible!

Steve Stepp (Velocity Powerboats) was one of the first guys to combine a notch transom on a pad bottom hull. Some hulls work great with the notch, others do not. The biggest reason for the notch was to allow the builder to run higher X-dimensions....kind of like a built in setback bracket. The water would exit the running surface before the actual transom. It also changes the leverage point on the hull; allowing the hull to jump on plane easier. Most boats will run faster with the notch..but the notch does effect handling.

That surprizes me. What negative effects did it have?Did they modify a finished hull or change the mold?

Most of the time an insert is put into the mold to develop the notch. This way, the design can easily be changed and modified. When I worked for Active Thunder, we develped our 37' "Step AVH" hull the same way; we installed an insert to change the bottom of the mold. We also toyed with the notch on the 28' Active Thunder Savage. The single engine 28' performed better with the notch, the twin engine boat did not.

Before you ask, NO I don't have it anymore. I cut it up and hauled it away. It was a skin out part and very thin, I used it to take some measurements to reproduce it on the computer in CAD.

Coop, is there any bottom changes on the 2000 compared to the 2100? I didn't think ther was any....

Here is the bottom of a Tuff 21 that will run over a 100 mph w/ a 300X. I do not know the weight but I'm sure it is alot less then a 2100.

Attachments

• dscf0340.jpg
    dscf0340.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 67
  • dscf0338.jpg
    dscf0338.jpg
    122.2 KB · Views: 70
Coop, is there any bottom changes on the 2000 compared to the 2100? I didn't think ther was any....
I think the two bottoms are different.

I do know the 2000 and 1850 are nearly identical bottoms. One is just longer at the nose.

Shannon, the Pulsare 2100 is 21'/95" beam/19 degree dead rise/1375 lbs. The Pulsare 2000 is 20'1"/100" beam/19 degree dead rise/1350 lbs. Generally, the narrower beam boat would be faster...but at extreme speeds, ie: 100 mph, the only thing touching the water would be the pad on either boat. I assume the lifting strakes/bottom is the same on both boats...maybe Randy can chime in, he's rigged both boats.

Here is the bottom of a Tuff 21 that will run over a 100 mph w/ a 300X. I do not know the weight but I'm sure it is alot less then a 2100.

Notice the "notch" transom on the Tuff 21?? Also the edges are all sharp, not beveled. Tuff claims their 21' runs 103mph with a 300X. Also, if you look at the picture of the notch, you can see the clay from the mold insert. This will get sharpened when they finish off the bottom. The clay is used around the edges of the insert to prevent resin from seeping under during the wet out.

Back