• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Bdusted440's 20' checkmate

Aren't boats FUN!
brickwall.gif
Here is another possibility (guess).There could be a bad bearing in the drive.It could create a lot of drag with the revs go up.Does it seem like the engine is really working hard? Good luck,hope it somthing simple and cheap!

brickwall.gif
Well it revs up to red line in neutral so that rule's out the intermediat housing and the upper gear set so I guess I should pull the lower unit off and appart and check it out.There was no metal in the fluids when I changed them.That at least is a good sign.I have to get this resolved I got spanked by a baahjunk yesterday. I cant let that stand.Although he got spanked by a sweet convincer that was out.Scotty I need more power.
CHECKMATE'S RULE

Every thing seems ok except the steering shims on the mid section are shot. have them on order with the ball gears. I have a 1.42-1 gear ratio in the drive.Thats all till I get my parts.
icon_biggrin.gif

I was on another site and someone had the same problem you were having with your engine
brickwall.gif
. The suggested fix was to check all the fuel lines,change the fuel filter and to make sure the fuel line wasn't sucking air(which would starve the carb for gas) Seems far fetched to me but hey you never know.

brickwall.gif
brickwall.gif
jpshakehead.gif
Carb bowls are full at full throttle.had it wide open and killed it then checked. It's wierd on the primary's i get to about 3800 rpm with the secondary's open it slowly goes to 4000 rpm.There has to be somthing governing it but I dont know what.I drilled the prop . I put 1/4 holes at the begining of the prop and have a great hole shot now but it did not help on the top end.
brickwall.gif
devil.gif

yes its a rochester.I have a holley dominator but not the intake to go with it for a chevy.The motor was put in shortly before I got the boat.I'm getting frustraited with it.Maybe its time for a 440 in it.
biggthumpup.gif

I've got a freshly rebuilt 340 in the garage right now.But its got go in the cuda' shortly.It would be interesting to try another carb but not sure if thats the problem.

It's got a mechanical advance and it goes up to 35 deg at 3grand so it's working.I have an idea though.With the higher output of the motor the stock thru prop exhaust could be choking it out not letting it breath.
brickwall.gif

Well I found out what it was.Some where down the line a plate was added to the midsection in the exhaust.I removed it and walah 4800.
icon_mad.gif

I get my interior next week YAHOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!
bounce.gif
xxrotflmao.gif
bounce.gif

Yup they are offered in my area by my supplier.
It will be awhile before I can take her out we are flooded down here wright now.
jpshakehead.gif

Back