• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

jeff,s enchanter resto

Status
Not open for further replies.
doing some awesome and A LOT of work! :thumbs:

Did I miss how you're going to paint it? Crossing my fingers my 'Flite bottom is fine... :eek:

Im spraying Imron or i should say, my painter is..:eyecrazy: My shop is next to a paint/body shop...lucky me.

So far Im thinking the whole boat dark red/burgandyish with two white or checkered stripes down the center of the top...like this Donzi....love to figure out how to do this wind screen too.....

Attachments

• donzi_boats_classic_22_shelby_gt_2.jpg
    donzi_boats_classic_22_shelby_gt_2.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
My buddy has one of those in alabama, except blue, SEXY boat! Love the paint job, be interesting to see it on a check. My side window frames are cracked, I've been designing a molded windscreen for mine, just not sure how I'd get it to not crack where attached to the top deck with rough conditions or kids/drunks manhandling it...

My buddy has one of those in alabama, except blue, SEXY boat! Love the paint job, be interesting to see it on a check. My side window frames are cracked, I've been designing a molded windscreen for mine, just not sure how I'd get it to not crack where attached to the top deck with rough conditions or kids/drunks manhandling it...

Im looking ito something like that now...not liking the old windshield anymore..

Im spraying Imron or i should say, my painter is..:eyecrazy: My shop is next to a paint/body shop...lucky me.

So far Im thinking the whole boat dark red/burgandyish with two white or checkered stripes down the center of the top...like this Donzi....love to figure out how to do this wind screen too.....

Do the low windscreen like the Donzi, it would look sweet and one-of-a-kind, forget about the wind noise! :thumb:

Jeff are you having to build up the low spots with some type of putty or mat and resin? I'm trying catch up on the work you're doing so far on the bottom.:eek:

Robbie, I will be building up the area of hook, just in front of the transom, about 4 ft, all that actually sits in the water at 60 and up...so my running surface. On the starboard side i did alot of core work and appears the hull pushed up at the trailer rollers, about a 1/2 inch deep about 2 ft long, :mad:thats the worse area and i will be building that spot with epoxy/cabosil mix. the rest of the hook is minimal so i will use p-77 a type of filler that feathers nicely and is good below water. i will actually feather the complete repair area with the p-77 then cover the repair area with epoxy and 6 lb cloth...sand and paint this beast...

Along the way OG is giving me some ways to customize the hull for better lift, less drag....blueprinting if you will...

lesson for us all....SUPPORT THE HULL BEFORE ANT MAJOR CORE REPAIR/REPLACE....

Jeff note the size difference between the two boards ( face ) ................which is something that will ......really help make the job that much more easier ( machined ) giving you a straighter surface oppsed to long boarding by hand .

OG, I can only find a air sander 17 inches long, looks like you modified yours, is this the only way to get something bigger or is there something longer that 17 inches...or is that enough?????:poke:

Jeff , mine ( sanding surface /board itself ) is made from ply with somewhat of a rounded edge on top and when i get back home around 7:00 this evening i will measure my board and send you an E-Mail ..........if that is alright ,and all file boards or in line sanders are pretty much all the same size as far as that goes.

so while waiting for materials for the hull...I started preparing the deck....Im really not surprised to find this at this point....

Attachments

• raised lip 010.jpg
    raised lip 010.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 73
  • raised lip 007.jpg
    raised lip 007.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 71
  • raised lip 012.jpg
    raised lip 012.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 66
heres the repair...3 layers of 17 oz. bi-axle top and bottom....

Attachments

• raised lip repair 004.jpg
    raised lip repair 004.jpg
    47.4 KB · Views: 55
  • raised lip repair 005.jpg
    raised lip repair 005.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 51
  • raised lip repair 003.jpg
    raised lip repair 003.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 58
fixed those stress cracks every one seems to have after 30 years...i had already layered the under side at these points with 17 oz when I did the deck core. Here i ground down into the deck about 2 inches wide and added epoxy and 17 oz. cloth ...this should keep the crack from returning....Ill have to feather every thing out to shape with p-77 filler...

Attachments

• raised lip repair 001.jpg
    raised lip repair 001.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 48
  • raised lip repair 002.jpg
    raised lip repair 002.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 48
Jeff , dam l@@king like a seasoned pro , and if i was l@@king to hire anyone on here it surely would be you , and the length on my long board / file board / in- line sander / is 25 inches long .

Last edited:
What did you use for a de-waxer before you sanded the gel? That cabosil and 17 oz cloth are good stuff! Cloth is much easier to use than CSM and the cabosil is absolutely no comparison to using chopped strand, good advice OG.

What did you use for a de-waxer before you sanded the gel? That cabosil and 17 oz cloth are good stuff! Cloth is much easier to use than CSM and the cabosil is absolutely no comparison to using chopped strand, good advice OG.

de-waxer?..I use 36 grit to cut through any area i am glassing...no wax can stop that....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back