• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

jeff,s enchanter resto

Status
Not open for further replies.
setting the knee braces.....

Attachments

• transom knee braces 028.jpg
    transom knee braces 028.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 104
  • transom knee braces 036.jpg
    transom knee braces 036.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 110
  • transom knee braces 033.jpg
    transom knee braces 033.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 102
Jeff , l@@king g@@d , and for your floors i would go over the seams with one or two layers of 7 oz that you already have , and might i suggest tabbing in......... the perimeter also with 17 oz

Last edited:
Jeff skip that last post and the reason being is i would just do everything in 17 oz using one layer of fabric for the seams in the flooring and two layers of fabric staggered along the perimeter . Sorry for the confusion ..............Artie

personally , i never use a scarf joint when reparing the sole or floors of the cockpit area considering a fillet of thickened epoxy along the hull to the joint......... filling in all the voids or the gap between the ply ,and the hull works just fine along with multiple layers of fabric staggered and to tell you the truth doing a scarf joint for those areas is a waste of time considering the putty is a no brainier with less work.

Last edited:
personally , i never use a scarf joint when repairing the sole or floors of the cockpit area considering a fillet of thickened epoxy along the hull to the joint filling in all the voids or gap between the plywood and the hull works just fine along with multiple layers of fabric staggered and to tell you the truth doing a scarff joint for those areas are a waste of time considering the putty is a no brainier with less work.

OG I was thinking the same thing. I know everyone does resto work different just thought to ask a pro about it. I did both of my floor replacements as you discribed above.:thumb:

OG I was thinking the same thing. I know everyone does resto work different just thought to ask a pro about it. I did both of my floor replacements as you discribed above.:thumb:
Donnie after re -viewing your last post # 185 ....are you somewhat testing me for some odd reason ? Jeff , and guys................. i now am a Trimate ....................With three stars ...............Wow ......................

Last edited:
Donnie after re -viewing your last post # 185 ....are you somewhat testing me for some odd reason ? Jeff , and guys................. i now am a Trimate ....................With three stars ...............Wow ......................

LOL!!! No I'm not testing you, just interested in how others restore their boats and the pro's repair/build them. Every resto thread I learn something, that's why this site is great!!!:thumb: Btw the name is Robbie not Donnie!!:D

Congrats on the trimate!!!!!...ha!

So were done with the transom and knee braces, I layered all of this work with 17 oz. bi-axle. I also "wrapped" the knee braces and horizontal support before I installed them. The stringer and the new bilge area i have designed will be next on the list....

Attachments

• knee 015.jpg
    knee 015.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 102
  • knee 007.jpg
    knee 007.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 101
  • knee 010.jpg
    knee 010.jpg
    49.7 KB · Views: 105
Congrats on the trimate!!!!!...ha!

So were done with the transom and knee braces, I layered all of this work with 17 oz. bi-axle. I also "wrapped" the knee braces and horizontal support before I installed them. The stringer and the new bilge area i have designed will be next on the list....
Jeff , when i say this i hope nobody is offended and if so i apologize but the truth of the matter is............. in my opinion............................after viewing many threads on this forum on how to..................... your workmanship at this point far exceeds everything else that i have viewed ( threads) on here at this time .........................and one again L@@king g@@d ...... & cheers . ;) :thumb:

Last edited:
Jeff , when i say this i hope nobody is offended and if so i apologize but the truth of the matter is............. in my opinion............................after viewing many threads on this forum on how to..................... your workmanship at this point far exceeds everything else that i have viewed ( threads) on here at this time .........................and one again L@@king g@@d ...... & cheers . ;) :thumb:

Really? Are you serious? I'm not going to hijack Jeff's thread but that's insane to say something like that. Have you seen bigredinohio, SamIam, groundloop, Wildman, yellowfiero88, JTPotroni and a few other's work? Most of us don't have 40 yrs in the boat building business and don't have a 10,000 sq. ft building to work in either. I think all the guys here have done a hell of a job on their restos, not perfect but are great. However I do agree that Jeff's work is among the best. Oh and I'm not mad I just think that comment was over the top for the DIYer's.:D

Robbie , once again i apologize if i have offended you or anyone else at this point and the fact of the matter is Jeff .......dosent have 40 plus years experience who in my opinion has really done a nice job here considering he is a contractor/ builder with no ties to this business what so ever ............... who is asking questions as he progresses to help further this project and take it towards complation which is very normal ........who i feel has done a fantastic job , and Robbie ....... who the hell to you know .......that has a 10,000 sq foot facility ,and can you imagine the overhead with heating alone at this time of the year here in Mich , ect , ect , WOW !!!!!!! :eyecrazy::eyecrazy: Robbie i know you got my P.M considering i just read your's and might i mention it is all good guy.....................

Last edited:
Robbie , once again i apologize if i have offended you or anyone else at this point and the fact of the matter is Jeff .......dosent have 40 plus years experience who in my opinion has really done a nice job here considering he is a contractor/ builder with no ties to this business what so ever ............... who is asking questions as he progresses to help further this project and take it towards complation which is very normal ........who i feel has done a fantastic job , and Robbie ....... who the hell to you know .......that has a 10,000 sq foot facility ,and can you imagine the overhead with heating alone at this time of the year here in Mich , ect , ect , WOW !!!!!!! :eyecrazy::eyecrazy: Robbie i know you got my P.M considering i just read your's and might i mention it is all good guy.....................

OG it's all good!!! Let's get back to watching Jeff restore his boat!!!:thumb:

Jeff any updates?:D

geeze, i take a couple days off to make money, and everyone goes haywire!..

I appreciate the input from everyone, If it wasnt for all the post and pics here, not just OG's help, but everyone's, none of my work would be looking this good...so thanks to you all! and for you watchers...this is how i learned...just watchin these post...and a phone call or two..:). Dont be afraid to ask, there is a wealth of knowledge on this site alone.

heres where im at....I have the stringer made and ready to glass down with 17 oz. I sandwiched layers of 3/4 inch marine ply. I also modified the well so i can access it from under the seat. the darn thing was behind the gas tank before. I have also installed a transom plug/hole at the bulkhead i built. This way i can monitor/drain any water that gets under the floor (im hoping this will never happen)..While im waiting on yet another shipment of bi-axle and epoxy, I flpped the top to a rolling table i made...another 112.00 bucks....I sanded the lip at the connection point to the hull...it was a mess of old silicone. Then started working on the butt dents (a past post). It seemd the foam on the bottom of the bow starboard side had come loose. I have removed it and am ready to install new...but what to use?? any ideas gentlemen? It appears to be 3/8 inches and covered in CSM.

Attachments

• top repair 050.jpg
    top repair 050.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 76
  • top repair 052.jpg
    top repair 052.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 77
  • top repair 053.jpg
    top repair 053.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 78
not sure i posted the complete transom pics ?....and this is the well modification. the gas tank will straddle the back half of the bilge area...

Attachments

• top repair 039.jpg
    top repair 039.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 87
  • top repair 020.jpg
    top repair 020.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 84
  • top repair 018.jpg
    top repair 018.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 77
Been watching the progress, BnB.... Really doing a great job. Looking forward to seeing the finished product! :bigthumb:

72 Jetmate:
http://checkmate-boats.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14018

thanks Jetmate!...a complete resto for sure...doin a little set up work too...new steering and 12 inch set back in the works. Just put the black max back together was leaking water at the exaught/driveshaft housing, had a bad gasket. Im hoping i can squeeze in a paint job this winter too......Starting with the gauges though...it seems they were haphazardly thrown about as they were needed...next year interior modification..:drool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back