• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

LAKE CUMBERLAND OWNERS RALLY 2013

If REDCHECKMATE is who I think he is, that is one super nasty boat!!! Its red, and it came from the hallowed garage of Kunkels Marine!!!

Last red mate I saw come from there had a bilge filled with oil, needs starting fluid everytime it runs, and has multiple different grade bolts holding the exhaust & intake manifolds on and burns oil now. All this after a supposed complete refresh. Do they hire kids from local auto shop classes to work there ?

Last edited:
All I will say is they have a helluva lot better reputation on here and in the rest of the world than you do.

Reactions: SCT
Corey, you beat me to the punch. I don't know anything about the particular red boat but Kunkels are a great group of guys w- a great reputation. And posts like the one above is why the majority of folks on this board thinks jjg is a class one asshole. Jjg, your opinion is in the minority, so please shut the hell up (If that is possible) unless you have something nice to say....

Corey, I guess we should excuse jjg after he spent 29k on a new big bad ass engine but can't get his boat to run any better. He's probably afraid the oil in the bilge, mis-matched hardware, hard starting red Kunkel's CM will pass him up at LC. Maybe Harold, Jason or Frank will be at the LC rally and give poor jjg some free set up tips. They've only been running 90-100+ mph CMs for the last 30 years....

Jeff that was uncalled for. Any issues he's having with the boat are up to him if he wants to share publicly and bash the shop that did the work. I have heard far more success stories than bad about Kunkels. The rigging work on my boat seems to be top notch as well as the others I have seen.

Corey, you beat me to the punch. I don't know anything about the particular red boat but Kunkels are a great group of guys w- a great reputation. And posts like the one above is why the majority of folks on this board thinks jjg is a class one asshole. Jjg, your opinion is in the minority, so please shut the hell up (If that is possible) unless you have something nice to say....

A happy customer will tell some, an unhappy customer will tell many. In this world your only as good as your last job. An organization with such a long standing positive reputation can only benefit from negative feedback by using it to improve their process. If not, they probably wouldnt have been around for 30 years. If you care so much why dont you take it upon yourself and call Kunkles and inform them of the feedback thats out there, while your at it call Unlimited Marine in Russell Springs KY, they have plenty of re work stories of their own I know they can add.

Corey, I guess we should excuse jjg after he spent 29k on a new big bad ass engine but can't get his boat to run any better. He's probably afraid the oil in the bilge, mis-matched hardware, hard starting red Kunkel's CM will pass him up at LC. Maybe Harold, Jason or Frank will be at the LC rally and give poor jjg some free set up tips. They've only been running 90-100+ mph CMs for the last 30 years....
I would hope they would take care of their paying Customers issues because I'm not really having any, and if I were I certainly dont need nor want anything free !!!

Jeff that was uncalled for. Any issues he's having with the boat are up to him if he wants to share publicly and bash the shop that did the work. I have heard far more success stories than bad about Kunkels. The rigging work on my boat seems to be top notch as well as the others I have seen.

Not sure what "he" you are talking about ? This was a boat in a bay next to mine they were re working when my motor was getting installed.

sand is hot as he'll today. All the bikini girls are all sweaty lots of lotion rubbing going on. beers cold and laughing at you guys. it's a good day tater

"A happy customer will tell some, an unhappy customer will tell many. In this world your only as good as your last job. An organization with such a long standing positive reputation can only benefit from negative feedback by using it to improve their process. If not, they probably wouldnt have been around for 30 years. If you care so much why dont you take it upon yourself and call Kunkles and inform them of the feedback thats out there, while your at it call Unlimited Marine in Russell Springs KY, they have plenty of re work stories of their own I know they can add."

I'm sure Kunkels will be OK w/o your business advice, jjg. Also, they can defend themselves and their work. But for you to come on here and bad mouth them, when the vast majority of the members (and I can think of 7-8 of the top of my head) were very happy with the work done on their boats. If you don't like their work, don't use them.....it's as simple as that. As far as the boat "in the bay" next to your boat, do you know the whole story? I doubt it. You are only hearing one side at best. Not bad mouthing Unlimited Marine, but do you think they've never had a customer that wasn't totally happy? Probably, if they've been in business for any amount of time.
Have a wonderful day-

I'm sure Kunkels will be OK w/o your business advice, jjg. Also, they can defend themselves and their work. But for you to come on here and bad mouth them, when the vast majority of the members on here (and I can think of 7-8 of the top of my head) were very happy with the work done on their boats. If you don't like their work, don't use them.....it's as simple as that. As far as the boat "in the bay" next to your boat, do you know the whole story? I doubt it. You are only hearing one side at best. Not bad mouthing Unlimited Marine, but do you think they've never had a customer that wasn't totally happy? Probably, if they've been in business for any amount of time. You are just running your mouth and stirring the pot like usual....
Have a wonderful day-

How is it bad mouthing if a valid concern causes a past or potential Customer to maybe double check their work ? Avert a potential problem before it turns catastrophic ? We pay these "experts" a lot of money for their services and its us the Consumer that must do the policing because we are usually the ones that end up paying twice or worse, we become complacent with our trust and in this hobby that costs us $$$$$
Believe me I have no interest in defaming Kunkles or any other marina just to "stir the pot" on a internet website for the purpose of gossip, theres no money in that for me !!! If my dealer botched my install it would be made known so others can be made aware to maybe double check what they just spent money on with them. If thats wrong I dont want to be right !!!

Good information on Marine shops and their service reputation is very valuable, I think a customer with a problem should be posting a complaint on here, but it needs to be the customer telling the whole story including any resolution made by the Marine shop, not second hand.

Last red mate I saw come from there had a bilge filled with oil, needs starting fluid everytime it runs, and has multiple different grade bolts holding the exhaust & intake manifolds on and burns oil now. All this after a supposed complete refresh. Do they hire kids from local auto shop classes to work there ?

Believe me I have no interest in defaming Kunkles or any other marina just to "stir the pot" on a internet website for the purpose of gossip, theres no money in that for me !!!

You are a fu@#*ng joke....

B-Red, you big old southern redneck! Come down to LKN and buy me a beer(s). Met JW at the Rusty Rudder last week. All good in Turkey Foot???

Back