• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

New interior

Its called wool badding, Its the stuff that quilt makers use in thier quilts. It can be found at fabric stores and such.Its about 1/2 inch thick by 6' by 10'. Put a layer over the foam and staple with the vinyl. It smooth's and fills out everything nicely. Used it when I did my interior over 5 yrs ago and it turn out great.

The plastic allows the vinyl to slide without disturbing the foam. I know its a thin material, the vapor barrior might be to thick and may create wrinkles in the seats????

Its called wool badding, Its the stuff that quilt makers use in thier quilts. It can be found at fabric stores and such.Its about 1/2 inch thick by 6' by 10'. Put a layer over the foam and staple with the vinyl. It smooth's and fills out everything nicely. Used it when I did my interior over 5 yrs ago and it turn out great.
Jeff, I believe it is sown into the covers already. That's how mine were done anyway :thumb:

Probably not. It needs to be thinner so that it wraps easily. You'll see when you open up the seats. It might be OK but I doubt it.

Thanks guy's, I'll look for a thiner plactic, and Brian is right about the 1/2" foam, Mike said that it now comes laminated to the back of all the vinyl, the one thing I forgot to ask Mike about is the dash support panels, I don't think they wouldn't look right with anything behind the vinyl.

Last edited:
plastic bags like you get at the dry cleaners work well for getting the skins on. The new vinyl has a foam back, and if you try to pull them over the thick foam on the seat frame it is very dificult.

So I've been saving for quite a while now to do this and came close to ordering it a few times only to be disipointed by a sudden expense, now that I finally have it ordered I'm out in the garage removing everything from the boat and questioning myself the whole time why am I doing this, with the exception of the rear bench seat it's still all in good shape.

I'm almost thinking of putting it all back together and saving the new skins in a box in the garage for one more year, plus I'm thinking the kids will be another year older and maybe less likly to spill drinks or whatever on the new stuff.

Am I crazy I might need a shove or a slap in the face or something to knock some sense in to me.

Here's the old stuff.

fall089.jpg

Well, everything has been apart in the garage for over two months now and still waiting for skins:brickwall: I was planning on doing this over the Christmas break but I guess I'll have to drink beer instead.:thumb:

Mike originally said it would be about 3 weeks so they must be busy, it's not like I can use the boat anytime soon anyways and I'm not complaining but I'd just like to get it back together so I can sit in it and make engine sounds;)

And of course it has to be back together so I can be the first one on the lake before all the ice in gone.

WTF?? Call Mike and tell him to get off his a....(butt). There are places all over that would be happy to sew up some new seats for ya.

Well, the wait has finally paid off:banana: I just picked it up in Iowa where I had it shipped to, opened the box and had a quick look and it looks great, now I've got a 20 hr drive until I can get started on it, cant wait to get this thing back together, just so I can wait another 3 months for the ice to melt:eek:

John,

I bet it will look great. I only covered my starliner bow backrests (look just like yours in the pic). I just used white vinyl without the foam laminated to the back. I ended up doing the first corner twice. Take your time and stretch it a bit more than you think you should. With the foam on the back, I bet it will take a bit more stretching than mine did. Remember eveything will loosen with time / sun / wear.

Be sure to do everything in a warm place and get at least one other person to stretch and hold stuff. I used an electric stapler w/ stainless staples as you mentioned.

When I had the stingray redone I called the factory and they said the foam backed stuff was the only way to go.

Drive safe and post some pics when you get started!

Just had beers tonight with John in Fargo and got to see the new skins first hand. Nice looking stuff...John and I agreed the Checkmate customers service is first rate and the quality excellent!

Nice work Checkmate and great meeting you tonight John!

Last edited:
Just had beers tonight with John tonight in Fargo and got to see the new skins first hand. Nice looking stuff...John and I agreed the Checkmate customers service is first rate and the quality excellent!

Nice work Checkmate and great meeting you tonight John!

Yup it's nice stuff, It was great meeting you to Sam! beers are on me next time:cheers:

Well I finally got home and had a chance to check everything out, it is outstanding, couldn't be happier with it.

I've got to admit that I've been a little worried the last few months about doing this myself and I got a call a few days ago from one of my father in laws friends who does interior jobs on the side all the time, I know him pretty well too, he was telling him I was doing this and it turns out he is building his retirement home this summer at the lake and could use someone to run a bobcat for him to prep the lot and do some landscaping, that's one thing I'm really good at, I just talked to him again tonight and we worked out a labor trade, if it takes him two or three days then I'll give him that amount of time in the bobcat, heck I would do that for free anyways, I miss doing that stuff every day.

I'm still rebuilding the rear seat base myself and removing all the staples in everything and I'll help him with it all but I'll leave all the stapling up to him, gonna start on the back seat tomorrow morning, it does look a little intimidating seeing all those pieces, I didn't think my boat was that big, LOL

some assembly required !!! just make sure to warm them before you install...another person with a hair dryer works well...good luck Rob

can't wait to hear how it goes! I cant imagine removing all those stamples is gonna be much fun. I hope I never have to find out, I scrubbed so much on all my interior with scrubbing bubbles bleach I hope it doesnt rot my stitching and I end up doing the same thing.
Keep us posted on the progress!

can't wait to hear how it goes! I cant imagine removing all those stamples is gonna be much fun. I hope I never have to find out, I scrubbed so much on all my interior with scrubbing bubbles bleach I hope it doesnt rot my stitching and I end up doing the same thing.
Keep us posted on the progress!

I just spent 2 hours removing the staples on ONE side panal:eek:

It would almost be better if the wood was rotten and they would just fall out, I might be able to speed it up if I wasn't trying to save the old skins but I'm trying to save them in case I ever come across a old mate with a trashed interior, these skins are still pretty good and would be more than OK if I find a boat to fix up for resale, some guys in the US are practically giving these boats away and they still bring a good dollar up here in Canada, thinking I'll find a project for next winter and these old skins might come in handy.

Last edited:
Here we go, I'm getting the hang of it now, a little child labor never killed anyone, haha, the way I see it is if she wants to ride in the boat then she can help, she actually came and asked if she could help and now I can't get rid of her, she doesn't want to stop, looks like I got time for a beer now:cheers:

Back