• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

New project (Hard bow cover)

Its going to be secured from the bottom using 4 bungies, 2 in front 2 in back. I'm still looking at ways to hinge from the passenger side but there are a lot of options I'm looking at. I have a while till the season here in the northwest starts but it should be painted and done by May.

What about using something similar to a jeep wrangler hood latch mounted upside down from the bottom. I'm not sure bungee's will hold it down solid at higher speed which may cause damage from shifting around.

need to tie down firm, bugees are not going to be a good idea I don't think...one good wave and launch and it's not going to be pretty..how about a couple of turnbuckles with a hook on one end eye on the other and hook, tighten down securely...just mu .02....Rob

Kevin , just my 2 cents but ...i think if you use bungies you will experience some lift in that area , and to tell the truth why not use a latch that uses a clevis pin turned upside down ..............or upright as far as that matters ......liked we used for all hatches when i was at Skater . Kevin i will try to dig one up and post some pics .

when I was day dreaming about making mine I was thinking it would be nice if the latch system was top mounted, but recessed. Maybe some type of recessed cam with a flat lying t-handle...that way you wouldn't have to crawl underneath to remove.

boat-hatch-latch-199933.jpg

then again...I could be smokin' crack.

This might work too!

Electrical-Tapes-65280-lg.jpg

Too funny!!! I was thinking the same thing after seeing Chris Fairchild use it to hold down race fairing on his Seebold at 130 MPH.

Teased him he could at least use some in red the same color as the boat.

Don't know if you have any place to secure a hood pin, but I used aerocatch latches on my hatch and they worked great. The pin can go in from the side or straight up through the bottom of the latch. Here is the sight:
http://www.deftracing.com/aerocatch_hood_pins/index.htm

Pics of my engine cover with latches are near the end of my thread.

http://checkmate-boats.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14018

Hope this may help. Looks great so far. I am in agreement with making sure that thing is down tight, any slight lift and some air getting under it could make for a bad day. It is not like it is behind you like mine. A little overkill would be good insurance. Can't wait to see it done. :thumb:

I TAKE IT FROM WHAT IM SEEING IS YOU USED THE FOAM TO GET YOUR SHAPE THEN THE BALSA WOOD AND FIBERGLASSED IT AND USED THE FOAM PIECE FOR THE FINAL SHAPE , IS THAT RIGHT . ?

Yeah the foam was just to get the shape right. The cover is balsa and glass and a little filler to get it just right.

Sorry guys I've been busy with other stuff and haven't gotten back on this project. Should have the front panals back in soon so I will post pics soon. as for the hinges and gas strut I have a plan but we'll see. once I have that figured out it will either get painted to match the boat w/checkmate logo incorporated or I might just have it wrapped with some kind of graphics (including the Checkmate logo).

I am not a huge open bow boat fan, but that is awesome. Totally changes the boat. It's like I'm here to party but yet I mean business.
I'm thinking carbon fiber would be bad ass

Back