• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Sam I am's 89 Starliner Restore (Discussion Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I removed the foam I could see all of the core very clearly. It all looked great. As I continued to remove the foam you can see that the glass clouded over. I could rub it off with my foot, but it kept clouding. Weird. Anyway, lots and lots of vacuuming. Lots. Everybody get that? A LOT.

DSCF3027.jpg

DSCF3028.jpg

The main thin holding in the foam was it's adhesion to the stringers. I just ran the hand saw down the edges and the foam poped out in very large pieces. The foam did not stick to the glass at all.

DSCF3029.jpg

DSCF3030.jpg

DSCF3031.jpg

DSCF3032.jpg

Anybody with pink on their boat better not be checking out my a$$. Just sayin'...

DSCF3033.jpg

Three shots of me whackin' the hammer is a little much, but damn...I'm sexy.

DSCF3034.jpg

DSCF3035.jpg

DSCF3036.jpg

DSCF3037.jpg

DSCF3038.jpg

I got a lot of glass to pop out. Any thing I don't have to grind or sand out is a major bonus.

DSCF3039.jpg

DSCF3040.jpg

DSCF3041.jpg

DSCF3042.jpg

DSCF3043.jpg

DSCF3044.jpg

DSCF3045.jpg

This is where I ran out of gas. Seriously. I'm beat. The last series of pics where I was able to pop the fuel tank "bay", stringers and kickers out took about 4 hours of work. Anybody who's done this knows what I'm talking about. Anybody thinking of doing this...you should. It's not that hard. Also, not sure why the next two pics are sideways. I edit them in photobucket and they're oriented correctly...but it's not translating when I insert the image link. Sorry.

DSCF3046.jpg

DSCF3045.jpg

Last edited:
That's some serious progress...Looks good and like a lot of work!

Looks like you smashed your hand in the first "sexy with a hammer" shot. Is that an illusion or did you?

That's some serious progress...Looks good and like a lot of work!

Looks like you smashed your hand in the first "sexy with a hammer" shot. Is that an illusion or did you?

Huh...I see what you mean. I think the head of the hammer is resting on my hand as I'm prying up on my scraper...not sure. But I am sure I would have remembered whacking my hand with my stanley! And since I don't...I must not have.

Fun part is getting the transom out ;)

Yeah...I'm effing dreading it. Oh well...if a Controller can figure it out an Aviator can probaly do it with one hand standing on his head. :p Actually, I just hope to make it out of that little evolution with all 10 fingers and finger nails intact. We'll see.

WOW, that's a lot of work, Thank goodness I found an original one in excellent condition, at 58 I am too old for all of the resto work. PM me if you need any measurements or pictures.

Good Luck
Chuck

Great progress so far. Congrats. Core looks perfect.

It is a mystery to me... Checkmate builds an incredible hand laid hull... but can't build a floor system to save their life.

Yeah! I've had the same thought. All that effort into building a high quality hull with great asthetics and then blow it on the floor. Weird.

WOW, that's a lot of work, Thank goodness I found an original one in excellent condition, at 58 I am too old for all of the resto work. PM me if you need any measurements or pictures.

Good Luck
Chuck

Thanks! I'll take you up on that!

X3 Sam. Any measurements you need I'd be happy to ask John to hop out to the driveway and get.
By the way, when do I get my finders fee?

lol...leave it to New Jersey to shake me down! Initially, I was pretty optimistic about a fee;). But, I've had to divert those funds to the Happy Wife Fund. I was informed that the Happy Wife Funding has been inadequate as of late.

Good Luck
Chuck

Ok, easy now. LMFAO! I did mine when I was 62 and Sims when I was 63. :poke: If I can do it with Spinal stinosis (BAD BACK) I am sure you can. But only if you want to. :thumb:

Ok, easy now. LMFAO! I did mine when I was 62 and Sims when I was 63. :poke: If I can do it with Spinal stinosis (BAD BACK) I am sure you can. But only if you want to. :thumb:
Sam, forgot to volunteer Jim Patroni. He can do his 3rd one at 64. That's what's keeping him young!
And you should see the muscles in his right arm from all those years of "scraping". Yeah, spinal stenosis didn't slow that down one bit.

2 Hour Transom Removal...

Well, I gotta say I"m quite pleased with myself except for the crack in the stern. I'm pretty sure it happened because my wedges were too aggressive. I used 1x4-2' cut in half diagonally. I think 1X3's would have been better. Anyhow, I'll have to repair it. But, for those following along at home...wedges are the shizznit. And my Fein Multi Tool. Awesome piece of gear. It made the surgical removal of the transom possible rather than the brute force of cut and grind. Don't get me wrong there was still som pretty serious wackin' going on with the 2lb persuader. But, for the most part I succeeded in using my brains.

OK...enough with me telling you how smart, awesome, talented, good looking and slick I am....What do YOU think of me?:D

Here's the pics:

DSCF3001-2.jpg

The fein let me get right in on the corners and edges of transom and I was able to cut right through the glass into the transom. This allowed the transom to pop clear. After I made the cuts on the starboard side, the water started flowing out of the cuts. :shakehead:

DSCF3002-4.jpg

DSCF3003-3.jpg

DSCF3004-3.jpg

I'm a fairly strong guy...lift weights regularly, blah, blah, blah but that water logged transom was one of the heaviest and most awkward things I've had to handle...easily weighed 100 lbs. Maybe even 1000. ;)

DSCF3005-2.jpg

I'm pretty sure a little more patience would have prevented this. I got a little carried away with wackin' the wedges. As you can see from the pics...the crack went from hole to hole. Maybe it was already weakened?

DSCF3006-2.jpg

I still think you smashed your hand last week:rof:

All kidding aside, nice work! As far as the transom crack, things happen and there is no way to know exactly what that thing will be this time:irked: It always could have been worse, some of that nasty transom water could have splashed on Mr Awesome:p

That has to be about the end of demo, right?

I still think you smashed your hand last week:rof:

:lol:

I know...what's even funnier is how many times I've looked at that picture and then at my hand? I've even thought, "Did I hit and not even realize it?" Seriously, though, I would have smashed the ever living crap out of my hand if I'd hit it. No lyin'. Didn't hit it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back