• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Another 2800SX Resto

Remember to keep the inverter as close as possible to the batteries. I mounted a 27" led flat screen on a stainless piano hinge to the ceiling. Folds flat to the headliner when not in use. That was my solution to when Toni asked what we were going to do at the lake when it called for possible rain...

Ever hear of the submarine races?

The fiberglass has started to fly! I cut out the first bulkhead tonight. I planned to work from the front back with cutting so I wasn't laying in/crawling through all of the cuts, but the front was a tight opening to crawl through so I started there. Next up, I will cut out the very front bulkhead for the berth and start working back from there.

Before
89B88E60-348A-40A6-9F4F-5B005BA1E7BF_zps6czihy5i.jpg

After
FF01CA09-121E-4BCF-AE45-1946D79B05A1_zpseopb2ioe.jpg

Spencer are you going to remove all the wiring and start over? Probably be much easier than trying figure where's the wires are going. I bought all my wiring from here: http://www.genuinedealz.com/ good prices.

Yes, I will be rewiring the whole boat. The main reason is all of the systems will be running off the new house batteries. Each engine will have a dedicated battery for operation and starting of the respective engine. I will have a switch between the two starting batteries to have the ability to use either battery for starting of the engines. There will also be another switch at the house batteries so I will have the ability to start the engines with the house batteries if need be and also charge them with shore power.

I ordered all of my wire and connectors etc from that site already- actually just came in the mail yesterday! Thanks!

Update:

On Saturday, before our end of season (almost) dinner, Bruce and Chris gave me a hand installing the new stator, trigger and rectifier on the starboard engine. After the swap, we still had no spark. We started work up from there and tested the kill switches, but all checked out ok. In testing the port engine for proper voltage we discovered the port key has to be in the on position (and my bathroom fan and headlights on my truck have to be on) to start the starboard engine. It fired right up after a few cranks. I have not started to look into what was wired incorrect to cause that issue. Any ideas?

Bruce also brought the two resealed steering rams with him, so they are bolted back on, but not yet connected. I will get them finalized and bled out in the next day or so and get back to the cabin work.

We are shooting to have three twin outboards on the river this Sunday:surf:

I love the smell of two stroke in the evening.

I'm really happy it got figured out but sucks the wiring was all screwed up though.

Most of the heavy cutting is done. I have one more bulkhead to cut in the entry way and it will be time to start putting it back together. I will finish up the prep work tomorrow evening and start the wood work on Sunday.

7C581929-FB22-418B-A36D-21357B48FA52_zpsorzymenb.jpg

9EA23D6B-39F9-43BD-8A74-DC5D930FC411_zpsull93oxn.jpg

8CFB6F3D-D228-4F4D-B460-70A4993DBE88_zpswjktkwjw.jpg

Fond Memories:

Attachments

• gutted cabin 2.jpg
    gutted cabin 2.jpg
    29.1 KB · Views: 46
  • guttet cabin.jpg
    guttet cabin.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 48
  • gutted cabin 1.jpg
    gutted cabin 1.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 42
I was able to get the steering sorted out, but need to get the last little bit of air out. It is 99% done. I had to make a system to fill the helm since it had a cap and no way to access it. I started by pulling the cup holder and running the fill line through it, but couldn't get the correct angle to fill. I ended up drilling a hole right above the helm. I plan to get a 12v socket and running the fill tube through it and be able to close the flap. The other option is to buy the premade unit- I will see what it costs before I make my decision.

I also did a quick fabrication of the new control box. It is not finalized as I want to run the boat and see if I like the angle.

4AAB37BD-55A9-4364-B0BD-C9A7D674A995_zps7thnrxxb.jpg

66CF5209-B66C-4F1E-9592-19DB680BDB17_zpssvlxt7zc.jpg

3080F390-6C50-448B-8434-BEE3463031F6_zpsgp6qclwu.jpg

6A2330E6-9CED-407F-968F-0029249189F4_zpsybecsbl0.jpg

D7B570BA-30BD-4E43-A38D-E0F5960B89E7_zpsuonyhwps.jpg

have you thought about putting the controls on the side like normal?
That angle and placement just looks really awkward when you need to be getting in and out of it.

have you thought about putting the controls on the side like normal?
That angle and placement just looks really awkward when you need to be getting in and out of it.

Just thought I'd chime in on this statement. Here's my 2800 shifter box before and after shots:

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thank you for the input guys! I am yet to make a final decision, but would like to get some seat time in to get a feel for where it works for me. I plan to completely redo the cockpit next year. If I am going to totally relocate it, I will wait until then. I would also like to totally redo the dash area and place guages in a better sight line from the drivers seat. Again, next year...

All set for tomorrow's test ride/last season gathering!

This is where I stand as of yesterday. Had some minor issues to start with getting/keeping one of the engines running,but it seemed to work itself out after burning a little gas and started running great! The day went smooth and boat ran well, but cruising back to ran at 4K rpm's the starboard engine suddenly over revved like I lost a prop. I immediate pulled the throttles back to find everyone was intacted. I limped in on one engine and when I got to the dock I went to put the port engine in reverse, but had none! So I currently have two lower units out of commission. The starboard side locks the prop in forward and reverse but the engine does not drive it. The port locks the prop in forward but not in reverse. I will pull the lowers in the next day or two and see what I am in for.

Also, there is a drain plug in the setback bracket- when I got home I pulled the plug and it was basically full of water. When I pulled the hull plug, there was a fair amount of water in there as well. I suspect there is water leaking into the boat from the mounting bolts in the bracket, but I will fill the bracket with water and verify. If there is water getting in any of the penetrations in the transom, I feel like it means the transom is water logged. Time to change my focus from the cabin to the mechanicals...

Back