• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

1988 Vision redo

So, decided to do some interior stuff this weekend......

This is a pic of the dash from last year before I started any of the work.
IMG-20120812-00058.jpg

Some of the items I had already started last November when the overall project was started.
Anyway this weekend out came the drills and files, but first taping and drawing the things to come...
visionproject183.jpg

Next, do the pilot holes... {aways a little scary taking a drill to a boat dash} :(
visionproject182.jpg

Next, the hole saw {oh oh, no turning back now}:eek:
visionproject181.jpg

Ahhhh, I do like a nice clean hole........... wait,...what :shakehead:
visionproject178.jpg
visionproject179.jpg

So, here we have on the far left a new hour meter, then just to the left of the radio a 12v recep, then just to the right of the radio is a "fake" 12v recep, --it's actually a MP3 player connection, then to the far right is a clock
visionproject173.jpg

This is a complete view of the new and updated dash {without the new steering wheel}
The boat now has an aircraft feel to the cockpit -- and the passenger has more of a feeling of involvement to the dash.
A lot different from the original dash.
visionproject174.jpg

Looks Really Great

Dear Kurt You are doing a Awesome Job there on your Checkmate Vision Dash My Friend. You are going to have a one of a Kind Vision that You can Be Very Proud of for Many Years to Come. I Hope You have a Great Summer My Dear Friend. Best Wishes Always Your Friend Sammie Action Marine

That looks awesome! I always wanted to put more gauges in front of the passenger, but I haven't been able to trust anyone to pay attention and know what they mean yet. Can't have that problem with a clock and hour meter though!

That looks awesome! I always wanted to put more gauges in front of the passenger, but I haven't been able to trust anyone to pay attention and know what they mean yet. Can't have that problem with a clock and hour meter though!

I'm not sure if I even trust most of my friends to read a clock or an hour meter ........ :o

However, there is the occasional girl who always seems to need to know when exactly 1 hour is up........:sssh:

........Oh yes i did :devil:

I feel some spoiler hate :P It was off but before going for the first ride I bolted that thing on !

The first ride was a little sketchy , power steering belts starting slipping the first time I got on plane and then kept getting worse and worse till at one point it would slip 1500rpm and on .... still did 56mph on GPS :P but wouldn't dare go any faster without the steering assist !

It feels actually a little more honest then my Senator did , those feel more stable. Anyways if all is good I will put it back in the water wednesday night to try the new belts and get some top speed reading. I think my prop is to big for the boat ...

BTW nice job on the gauges , I need to put a radio on mine but I am scared of drilling or cutting into the dash ! ... I like what you got going on to cover the access holes in the side storage compartment in the cabin.

I need to put a radio on mine but I am scared of drilling or cutting into the dash ! ...

Don't be scared, just measure once and cut twice

Only kidding, -- it's always a little un-nerving to drill into a dash.
Just make sure your using real sharp cutting tools {brand new bits} and don't try to hurry anything.

Measure "many" times and cut once

Last night I did a couple of things before it got too dark to go any further.
The area around the engine compartment vent in the cockpit had a little ugly damage around it {scratches and a big gouge}, apparently caused by mechanics leaning into the engine area with big frikin belt buckles....
visionproject184.jpg

So, out came my trusty Marine Tex {I love that stuff} and some 1500 grit wet paper and "a fillin and a sandin I go".
visionproject176.jpg

Next, buff and shine...
visionproject201.jpg

Now I can put the grill back on {powder coated ofcorse} ;)
visionproject199.jpg

Next......the hatch landing area and the bottom gas shock mounts.

BEFORE
visionproject166.jpg

Next....fill in extra holes and chips with Marine Tex
visionproject185.jpg

Next, run a quick roll of white awl grip...
visionproject187.jpg

Next the new flex edge, --- you might want to use a tin cutter or equivilent when using the Taco flex trim because it does have metal inside --- here I'm cutting an end piece because the end cut that Taco did was a little sloppy.
visionproject202.jpg

You can see here that the trim has a harpooned inside edge that'll grab nicely eliminating the need for any adhesive.
visionproject196.jpg

This Taco flex trim goes on real well with just tapping with a rubber mallett --- once it's tapped on it stays quite secure.
visionproject194.jpg

Nice clean look.....
visionproject189.jpg

visionproject198.jpg

visionproject191.jpg

visionproject197.jpg

Nice job sorting out all the little stuff. :bigthumb:

It looks like I'll need to stick to the little stuff like this for a few days.
I had to have an X-Ray on my hand yesterday and found a hairline fracture.
It's been bothering me quite a bit for a few months and just hasn't been getting better ---- {hey it only took me 4 months to go to the doctor, that's pretty fast for me :D}
Apparently I did it while re-rivoting the top deck of the boat to the hull back when I was doing the new rubrail, --yes I used a manual industrial strength gun on about 50 rivots :yell:.
Anyway, it's all good, --- It's a good oppertunity to relax and do a bunch of little detail stuff that needs to be done eventually anyway.
The doctor told me to leave the splint on for a week to ten days {ya right} --- I'll have it off by friday :)

Did some simple easy stuff this weekend...

Started with the steering wheel, -- before I put the adapter hub on I had to clean up the edge of the primary hub with a painters brush and some black awlgrip. {oh that OCD crap :irked:}
visionproject204.jpg

Ahh, much betterer..
Notice the "square" shaft, this was a PITA to deal with regarding getting the wheel I wanted and having it fit -- remember previously in this thread I had to custom fabricate a "special" hub adapter.
visionproject205.jpg

It was all worth it --- I have the wheel I want --- real nice carbon fiber soft padded easy grip color matched wheel.
visionproject206.jpg

Next, the windshield screw mount covers...
I decided to just refinish the old ones, -- I won't bore anyone with that process --- it was just some sanding / priming / finish coat, and they came out pretty nice.

BEFORE
visionproject223.jpg

AFTER
visionproject224.jpg

BEFORE
visionproject219.jpg

AFTER
visionproject221.jpg

Next, the cockpit 60 inch grab rails, the old ones were kinda scratched up, -- so I made up a couple of replacements using a larger diameter rail {1 inch instead of the original 7/8 inch -- then ofcorse red powder coat.

BEFORE
visionproject207.jpg

AFTER
visionproject210.jpg

BEFORE
visionproject209.jpg

AFTER
visionproject211.jpg

So, I think tonight I'll move onto starting the refinishing of the outdrive {It's only a light duty Alpha but it still deserves to look good :o}

So, need to clean up the look of the outdrive a little.
This can be one of those projects that the difficulty is really up to "how far or how perfect do you want to be" and that'll determine the difficulty and the time spent.

I'm not looking for perfection nor do I have the availability to spend too much time on this --- but I do want it to look respectable.

This is what I have to start with..
visionproject228.jpg

Now the essentials to start with {missing in the pic is the always important safety goggles}
visionproject226.jpg

Closer look at the corrosion..
visionproject227.jpg

Start grinding away the crud
visionproject232.jpg

Tune in tomorrow........same bat time / same bat channel

Did a little more grinding and cleaning on the OD --- almost ready to do some sanding on the entire drive {need to dull up the remaining enamel}.
Then after that an ammonia wash down.
Then a careful "dobbing" of some acid metal prep {only on the bare metal areas}.
visionproject236.jpg
visionproject234.jpg

Obviously theres a reason for the corrosion and the pitting, and it's always sooooo important to find the root cause.
This boat never does and never did sit in the water for any length of time {only on occasion over nite on a weekend or two} so electrical currents from nearby docked boats is not the problem, so it must be a problem with this boat.
I can't say if the zincs were always kept new yearly from the previous owner, but they were new last year.
I do know of an area in the engine compartment where rain water was draining into an area that occasionally submerged a partial run of the main wiring --- that could be suspect and will be fixed.
Also will chase as much of the wiring in the boat as possible looking for loose connections / shorts / bad grounds / etc...

The pitting from the corrosion will get a smoothing over with either some Marine Tex or maybe some Splash Zone Epoxy {whatever I have the most of in my shop--either is as good as the other}

Back