• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

"TOP SECRET CHECKMATE" PIC'S

Okay it's warm in Florida YEA!

I would like to look at this new model from a R&D approach. To start here are a few qustions. Additional questions that these develope should be added.

1. Are there any reports by third party testing agencies (surveys) regarding the longevity of the Baja hull being used?

2. Did Checkmate test the hull developed by Baja with their method of hand laid glass/ balsacore for the construction system for any lengthy period of time prior to sending it onto the market?

3. If flaws, in the original design, existed, then what did Checkmate do to correct them, if anything?

Side Note:

It is one thing to use a hull for its known durability and reputation (reason why Checkmate molds are used) but if it was used for fast production and insertion into a market to just compete for sales, then this could result in tarnished reputation if these flaws begin to emerge under private use. And worse if they resulting in injury.

All the head people at Checkmate other than the Combs brothers, are from Baja. They were at Baja when this hull was develored. One of the head sales guys owns one himself and says it's a great boat. The console and interior are new in the Checkmate model.

I would like to look at this new model from a R&D approach. To start here are a few qustions. Additional questions that these develope should be added.

1. Are there any reports by third party testing agencies (surveys) regarding the longevity of the Baja hull being used?

2. Did Checkmate test the hull developed by Baja with their method of hand laid glass/ balsacore for the construction system for any lengthy period of time prior to sending it onto the market?

3. If flaws, in the original design, existed, then what did Checkmate do to correct them, if anything?

Side Note:

It is one thing to use a hull for its known durability and reputation (reason why Checkmate molds are used) but if it was used for fast production and insertion into a market to just compete for sales, then this could result in tarnished reputation if these flaws begin to emerge under private use. And worse if they resulting in injury.

All the head people at Checkmate other than the Combs brothers, are from Baja.

Engineers or Manager? Make a big difference. I look at it this way. As an Architect I do not specify a new product or material with out doing research to check on it's performance/durability. If I spec something that does not perform per the standards it was sold or I sold my client on then I'm liable to a point. In most cases it promotes bad press via word of mouth. So that is why I question the reason for choosing this hull. What makes it superior over anything that the designers/ engineers at Checkmate could come up with.

If so proove it to the loyal masses. All this will do is strength our ability to counter attack arguments from the oposition. More than well it looks good and it's a nice boat. Facts and Performance in the market that Checkmate competes in speaks louder. Thats all I'm asking for. Proove to us why with facts and stats and not only aesthics.

Harold

Side Note:

Checkmate had not tested the hull prior to the boat show. The paint was still wet when I got he pics " so to say " And I have not seen a Baja yet without stress cracks.

But I do not dout the build quality of the boat.

Everybody sure is quick to say its all baja people at Checkmate doing all the work. It might have been easier for Doug to buy Baja instead of Checkmate that way he wouldn't of had to dig threw the dump for the last 4 Baja hulls he got.

If the boats held up with the chopper gun builds of Baja, I'm sure they wil be much stronger being built the Checkmate way with coring and such.

If the boats held up with the chopper gun builds of Baja, I'm sure they wil be much stronger being built the Checkmate way with coring and such.
Probably stronger and lighter. The quality of the boat has very little to do with the shape of the mold and everything to do with the lay up. It is possible for Checkmate to make a better Baja! ...that just sounds plain weird doesn't it?

I wish people would stop the Checkmate bashing re: the use of the Baja Molds:irked:. NO, the boats do not look like traditional Checkmates but they ARE good looking. YES, they are built with Checkmate quality, lamination and balsa coring thereby making a much better product than the original Bajas:thumb:. Checkmate DID make "soft" improvements by adding their own interiors, seats, center console, etc. etc. Let's give Checkmate the benefit of the doubt and see how these boats sell and perform. If they sell and perform well, Checkmate will have gained some new fans and will endure the hardtimes that all boat manufacturers are faced with right now. Then we can all rest easy knowing the Pulsares, Convincors and ZT's will be around for a long long time!!!:bigthumb:

Its all voice of opinions we all have them and we all are aloud to speak them.

Its going to perform like all the other Baja's the hull is no different and all boats use the same engine and drives.

Its going to perform like all the other Baja's the hull is no different and all boats use the same engine and drives.

BR,

Thats not necessarily true; displacement is just as important as hull design. if the materials used, decrease the amount of water the hull has to push to get up on plane; the boat will perform more efficiently. The 244zt built using balsa core should be lighter and I suspect once the final numbers are in will be a better performing boat.

I go back to my Shelby Cobra analogy; make the right changes even on a has been; you can see significant improvement.

Hick

BR,

I go back to my Shelby Cobra analogy; make the right changes even on a has been; you can see significant improvement.

Hick

Well I will go back to my childhood days when my dad always told me you cant polish a turd no matter how hard you rub it.

:lol: thats funny; but if that turd pulls out a can of whoop a$$ and takes yer pink slip; who's left laughin'...... I think it's called a sleeper.:brickwall: I know where you're coming from. All we can do is wait and see.

Hick

Correct on the changes making a difference, but looking at the Shelby Cobra changes were tested before they hit the market and proven on the track.

There's the difference. Because they went to Balsa Core construction which lighten the boat, yes this will mean that it will displace less water. However your comment is flawed. These are planner hulls and not displacement hulls. Planner hull design rides on the top of the water where as a displacement hull pushes the water. So in your statement you compared this hull to a freighter and not a power boat such as a Checkmate, Donzi, Fountain...etc.

Lets look at the weight issue. Any changes in weight distribution will drastically change the ride characteristics of the boat. Ask anyone who has removed the foam from their boat or relocated the gas tank, not to mention throughing sand bags in the passenger seat to even out the ride for testing. To light in the front will extend the time that the boat planes out slowing the boats ability to pick up speed and could lead to porposing, chin walk and other instability issues.

Aesthically will the boat sell , I have no dought. Performance wise we have no clue. We cannot make a 1 to 1 correlation between the original Baja and the new Chackmate, the construction, weight, weight distribution has all changed. At this point this is a new boat.

Again I'm questioning the direction for our purpose of supporting Checkmate as well and giving us the information to hammer home to people who bad mouth Checkmates. Think of it this way, you own one of these new boats and a Baja of the same shape pulls up and it's owner says "What did Checkmate run out of Ideas so they had to use a better boat for their new one" whats your answer going to be "Well but it looks better"? Or would you rather spout out facts regarding speed, performance durablity which is all tied to testing and publically avalible data. Looks on there own are not going to cut it on its own.

So lets stop being subjective.

"We are entitled to our own opinions, but not our own facts."

Back