• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

Pulse170 Floor Restoration

Status
Not open for further replies.
What about drain holes thru the stringers and transom knees where they join the transom? The center of your boat looks to be well drained; but can't tell if the open areas outside the stringers have adequate drainage.

Hick

I forgot to show the picture of the drain holes in the stringers, good catch. I didn't knotch the knees instead I cut holes just in front of them. The water if any should drain in the bilge area, which is the gas tank area. Here they are.

Attachments

• 119_1907.JPG
    119_1907.JPG
    128.7 KB · Views: 79
  • 119_1908.JPG
    119_1908.JPG
    107.9 KB · Views: 76
nice pics!

It appears to me that you are using PL Premium for your glue up and bedding.
If you are, is that stuff not great or what:bounce: I am so impressed with the bond I am getting....rock solid:thumb:

Hick

nice pics!

If you are, is that stuff not great or what:bounce: I am so impressed with the bond I am getting....rock solid:thumb:

Hick

Oh yeah!!! I glued my knee braces together with PL, screwed up one set because I forgot it setup quick. I had cut a new set of knees. That stuff bonds great. I had forgotten about it until you used it on your transom. I went to Lowes and bought 12 tubes.:thumb:

Oh yeah!!! I glued my knee braces together with PL, screwed up one set because I forgot it setup quick. I had cut a new set of knees. That stuff bonds great. I had forgotten about it until you used it on your transom. I went to Lowes and bought 12 tubes.:thumb:

You gotta love Lowes:D

nice pics!

Hick

Sorry for the stupid question, but what is 'PL Premium'?
My lowes (or maybe it was Home Depot) carries 3M 5200, and that's what I was going to use. If PL Premium is better, I'll use that instead.

Sorry for the stupid question, but what is 'PL Premium'?
My lowes (or maybe it was Home Depot) carries 3M 5200, and that's what I was going to use. If PL Premium is better, I'll use that instead.

PL premium is a polyurethane constuction adhesive similar to 3M 5200. It's bonding/set time and general specs are virtually identical to 3M 5200 Fast Cure. It is alot cheaper than the 3M 5200 and has been well recieved in the the DIY boat building/repair industry for the last several years. It's a superior adhesive for a great price.

Here are two threads regarding PL Premium; The first is a discussion thread and the second is a thread in my blog.

http://checkmate-boats.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11763

http://checkmate-boats.com/forums/blog.php?b=25

PL only comes in one color; 3M 5200 comes in several; but for the difference in price.......who cares:thumb:

Hick

Great progress Robbie! Your work looks GREAT. Have you done this before??

I'll try a bigger pic of the glue:
051527131005.jpg

Great progress Robbie! Your work looks GREAT. Have you done this before??

Thanks for the kind words, I'm getting close to the finish product. This is my first boat restoration. I've built decks, porches,docks and some remodeling in my spare time. I'm a quick learner, just read up on other restorations and used different ideas, kind of went from there. I sit at a desk for 10 hrs so these side projects/home improvements is my stress reliever.:D My wife says I can't sit still, all the time tinkering with something around the house.

I'm thinking you can make some money rebuilding boats for people if you dont mind the work!:thumb:

I forgot to show the picture of the drain holes in the stringers, good catch. I didn't knotch the knees instead I cut holes just in front of them. The water if any should drain in the bilge area, which is the gas tank area. Here they are.

Make sure you seal the inside of those drain hole with resin before you glass over the stringers. At this stage of the game you don't want to overlook any of the details!:thumb:

Make sure you seal the inside of those drain hole with resin before you glass over the stringers. At this stage of the game you don't want to overlook any of the details!:thumb:

Thanks for the heads up. I did that not long after the picture was taken. I'll go back over all the stringers and knee braces before the floor goes on.
Then it gets seal up tight.:thumb:

I don't have any updates, the weather down here is in the mid to upper 20's at night and mid 50's during the day. Too cold for a southern guy like me.:D I'm hoping the weather warms up over the weekend, so I can continue the resto.

:rof: Light weight!!

Was 18 degrees yesterday a.m. with a high below freezing up here.......................:sick:

:lol: Very light weight!!! All 145 pounds of me :poke: That's bone chillin cold.

LOL it was 18* this morning here. I weigh in at 153 and there is nothing worse than being chilled to the bone. I would rather it be 95* than 35* any day of the week. Is spring here yet :pissed: I cant wait!

Great job.
Just a note when you get the floor down. Have a bunch of weight handy to lay on top of the floor to insure a good bond.

Today was warm enough to glass the underside of the floor, the bulkheads and outside the stringers. Here are some pictures.

Attachments

• 119_1918.JPG
    119_1918.JPG
    108 KB · Views: 80
  • 119_1920.JPG
    119_1920.JPG
    160.7 KB · Views: 77
  • 119_1921.JPG
    119_1921.JPG
    119.5 KB · Views: 79
Status
Not open for further replies.