• Welcome to the Checkmate Community Forums forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access to our other FREE features.
    By joining our free community you will be able to:

» Interact with over 10,000 Checkmate Fanatics from around the world!
    » Post topics and messages
    » Post and view photos
    » Communicate privately with other members
    » Access our extensive gallery of old Checkmate brochures located in our Media Gallery
    » Browse the various pictures in our Checkmate photo gallery

Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact support by clicking here or by using the"contact us" link at the bottom of the page.

jeff,s enchanter resto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jeff , in regards to post #456 you wrote i am glad he sprayed over the high build as it really didnt fill like i thought, and in your last e-mail you wrote my painter should have put the primer on a little heavier , and i should have used guide coat , and with that thought in mind was the bottom that far off from being ready for primer ......considering you can spray up to 50 plus mills wet on wet to dial everything in..... but non the less it is very obvious your painter really did not have you order enough material to do the whole job period .

and by the way...I did start with 220....the hi build was all 220...just the primer he used was wet 400...:sssh:
And with that in mind i guess he really didnt spray or put much primer on considering .......once again you wrote me that you where already blowing thru in some areas :sssh::sssh: boy that sure was a waste of product , materials , and Time . W O W ! :lol::lol::lol::lol::sssh::lol::lol::lol:

And with that in mind i guess he really didnt spray or put much primer on considering .......once again you wrote me that you where already blowing thru in some areas :sssh::sssh: boy that sure was a waste of product , materials , and Time . W O W ! :lol::lol::lol::lol::sssh::lol::lol::lol:

its only a waste if thats how you look at it...perception is everything...

This is my take...

First...i learned some things....

second....I should have used guide coat like you suggested, then It would have been ready for the hi-build primer. I also feel It wouldnt have blown through if I had used 400 instead of 80, then 120 then 220 like was suggested......

and last it really did fill in the glass/cloth texture and scratches...

So we disagree....in reality not a waste, it was only a 5 ft repair area on a 21 ft boat...still needed a primer on the non-repair area...and the base primer needed a 400 wet sand...so again...

are you done busting my balls...or are there any other "quotes" for me??:eyecrazy:

I guess what Im saying is Im not seeing where any of this is my painters fault:bigthumb:...im going back to the shop now and DA down the deck...need to move forward in this crazy a** resto!!!!!!

Jeff , in regards to post #456 you wrote i am glad he sprayed over the high build as it really didnt fill like i thought, and in your last e-mail you wrote my painter should have put the primer on a little heavier , and i should have used guide coat , and with that thought in mind was the bottom that far off from being ready for primer ......considering you can spray up to 50 plus mills wet on wet to dial everything in..... but non the less it is very obvious your painter really did not have you order enough material to do the whole job period .

ya...I feel the hi-build could have been sprayed heavier, was probly closer to 30 mil....having said that though...the shaping was not as good as I hoped...it wasnt "feathered" well at the front edge and a few of the strakes were not filled good at the inside corners. would have seen all of this if i had used a guide coat....We could have gone over after the repairs with the hi-build again, just didnt feel it was necessary as i fixed everything well after the first go round, thats when he decided to just primer the whole thing one time, instead of hi-build again and different primer on the virgin hull...and again I ordered the hi-build based on the info I got here, he didnt order anything but the Imron and applicable primer....

I want to say though...none of this took very long, as far as this resto goes, my only disappointment is how I dis figured the hull when i installed the core....SUPPORT YOUR HULL WHEN YOU DO ANY MAJOR REPAIR...:brickwall:

Jeff, what's the status? I've been checking in regularly hoping for some more pics. Don't give up, man!

this is what i decided was best at the transom... filled the open areas with cabosil then wrapped it all 17 oz biax...this way shes sealed for sure and if the deck ever has to come off...well we cut it apart ....not that hard really

Attachments

• boat 044.jpg
    boat 044.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 80
  • boat 045.jpg
    boat 045.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 78
  • boat 042.jpg
    boat 042.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 82
with a final faring with p-77...I was able to apply the hi-build primer at the transom and all the other areas of concern.... and that's where I am as of tonight...:)

Attachments

• boat 055.jpg
    boat 055.jpg
    29.8 KB · Views: 58
  • boat 057.jpg
    boat 057.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 54
  • boat 062.jpg
    boat 062.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 54
more hi-build....after years of bumping and bruising....lots of areas to repair...

Attachments

• boat 065.jpg
    boat 065.jpg
    25.9 KB · Views: 50
  • boat 066.jpg
    boat 066.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 52
  • boat 068.jpg
    boat 068.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 60
ready for sanding...then some more final primer....I bought a gravity spray gun with a 2.0 tip and did the priming my self....well see how it came out when I sand tomorrow....

Attachments

• boat 069.jpg
    boat 069.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 48
  • boat 075.jpg
    boat 075.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 49
  • boat 081.jpg
    boat 081.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 50
Status
Not open for further replies.